Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can anyone help?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:49 am 
WWoW regular

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with my computer? It is a brand new Dell XPS that I bought from QVC in January. It has been working perfectly until 2-3 weeks ago. Now it freezes up, stops loading web pages, and takes much longer to access files I have saved on it. I have used Scandisk to get rid of unneccesary files, I've used Disk Defragment, I have Norton Internet Security installed to protect me from viruses (with automatic update) But my computer still acts like it has a virus. I don't know if it's just a coincidence, but this started at almost the same time that I joined MySpace. If they passed me any sh*t, then Norton Security and anti-virus should have stopped it; my subscription is completely up-to-date. I realise that my descriptions are pretty vague, but my knowledge of computers is very elementary. I don't want to start fooling around with it on my own trying to fix it, and wind up making it worse. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:22 am 
WWoW Artist

You should call Dell (have fun as I did, they suck :? ) explain it to them. Or you can format your computer which is not hard to do. Dell can tell you how to do that or I should be able to help you. (I have formatted my computer many times)

But the chioce I would do if I were you would be to take your computer back to the way it came to you out of the box.

I'm sure Dell still has what I use to have. When you start your computer do you have a blue line that goes across the top of your screen ? If so, on mine while I had it before my hard drives went up, while the blue line goes across the screen, you have got to press the Ctrl first then F11 before the blue line is done. When I had it, it only took about 7 minutes to take it back like new. You will have to add everything else that you put on after you got your computer. In all, it took me about 1 1/2 hours. But that was to put back nortons, internet, all the Microsoft updates and so on.

If you do that, you need to use your arrows and I had to also use the tab button. I don't know how to back up to CDs or DVDs so that if you lose a hard drive, you can restore your computer the way it came out of the box. If you can get help on that, I would do that right after you get your computer back to the way it was. If you lose your hard drive or drives, you lose that blue line and then you have to do the format by using your disk.

I got this from CNET in the e-mail. I posted it at the mousepad. I don't think I posted it here :? I should have

MySpace users hit by hacker virus
12:29pm 18th August 2006

MySpace users hit by virus

Users of the popular MySpace website have been warned by computer experts that viruses linked to the interactive site, which boasts more than one million regular users, are in circulation.

Experts believe that hackers have hit the hugely popular site and say the viruses in circulation can change settings, delete files, secretly track users' movements online and even damage computers.

They believe that the hackers have hidden dangerous software on the site which means that computers can be attacked unaware to users while they are just viewing pages.

"There is a very real threat to users of MySpace, and in fact we have already seen several MySpace specific viruses emerge," Graham Cluley of computer security company Sophos told the Standard Lite newspaper.

The site is hugely popular, especially with teenagers, and it has recorded growing numbers of users in recent months, now accounting for 4.5 per cent of all internet traffic.

However, its popularity has also led to it becoming a target for scams.

Mr Cluley believes the current virus can be blamed on the site's teenage appeal.

"The problem is that people tend to let their guard down because they think the site is safe. But even a picture of a fluffy bunny rabbit on the site can contain a hidden piece of software that could harm your machine," he said.

"We've also seen pages that contain code to automatically spread viruses through MySpace's buddy system, which lets you add friends to your profile."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

BTW, if you do format you computer, try that blue line first. You do not have to use any disk that came with your computer. Some virus can get into your backup Cds and everytime you use that CD, the virus will also be put back on your computer, (it happened to me with a Verizon CD).

Hard to believe, but Dells techs and the people that came to my house for the hard drive told me that some virus can get into you CDs

One other thing, you say your norton's is up to date. It might be, but it can't stop a virus if it does not know of. My advise would be to get away from Myspace

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:26 am 
WWoW Artist

Dell's use to be good but they've really cut corners to get a higher profit margin.

Anywho, your problems could be a virus (either full or just a fragment left over), spyware, adware or even your hard drive could be dieing.

The 1st thing is to do another scan. Norton sucks, IMO. Do a free online scan with this:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/a ... HINT=Guest

(I have there security suite & it picks up things that Norton can't).

After that run both:

1- Spybot Search & Destroy
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

2- Adaware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

You need to use Internet Explorer for the Active Scan thing but I HIGHLY recommend you use Mozilla FireFox as your web browser from now on. In the default settings your much more likely to catch something bad with IE than FireFox. Plus, tabbed browsing rocks. :Kool

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

Also, you could run a System Restore from before the time your computer went crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Try pressing the Ctrl-Alt-Del keys all at the same time.
That should bring up your Windows Task Manager window. It will show you what applications you have open and their status. At the bottom it will also show your CPU Usage as a percentage.
You might also want to look at the Processes tab and see what is eating your CPU cycles. When you find what is eating so much CPU time do a google search on the program's name to find out about it, if you don't recognize it.
That should give you an idea of what your problem is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 am 
WWoW regular

Thanks for the advice guys. I will definitely be avoiding MySpace from now on. I did a system restore to a day earlier than when I joined them. I will try Spybot next.