Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: CNN May ratings hit 20 year low
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:55 pm 
WWoW Member

No one is watching their garbage fluff posing as news.

The ratings for May, 2012:

Primetime (Mon-Sun): 389K Total Viewers / 114K A25-54
Total Day (Mon-Sun): 288K Total Viewers / 84K A25-54

In Total Viewers in primetime, CNN hit a 20-year low, and in the key adults 25-54 demo, CNN had its second-worst month in primetime since 1991. May sweeps on the broadcast networks and a generally slow news month contributed to CNN’s decline. But sweeps happen every year, and while it was a slow month, it probably wasn’t the slowest news month in 20 years.

Compared to May, 2011, CNN was down -51% in Total Viewers and down -57% in the demo in primetime and down -52% in Total Viewers and down -61% in the demo in total day. Of course, last May was a big news month, the death of Osama bin Laden, and deadly tornadoes in Alabama and Missouri, which inflated the ratings for all of the news channels.

While essentially every CNN program was down double-digits, 9pmET, which is home to “Piers Morgan Tonight,” and 7pmET, which is home to “Erin Burnett OutFront,” each had their worst performance in the demo in 20 years.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/may-2012-ratings-cnn-hits-20-year-low_b130250

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: CNN May ratings hit 20 year low
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:12 pm 
Silver Member

Jon Klein ran CNN/HLN aground, and the ship isn't sailing any profitable waters anytime soon.

Without naming names (and subsequently getting into arguments that will lock this thread and get me banned for a week), some of CNNs anchors, male and female, have made some substantial errors in journalism during this election season. The viewing public isn't buying it anymore, and they're voting with their remotes.

CNN has been pretending to go to the center, between Fox and MSNBC for years, but the last two years they've been getting caught faking it, and now their numbers have taken the slide down the Black Diamond slope.

Go to YouTube and check out "Network", specifically the next to last scene w/Robert Duvall and Faye Dunaway. That says it perfectly about CNN's position: they're on because someone wants them on, to say what they are saying...

But on the bright side...

I do like it when the cameraman on Early Start gets the under-the-glass tabel shots of the ladies' legs. It's kinda being like under the bleachers trying to sneek a peek at the cheerleaders undies!

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:44 pm 
Gold Member

CNN gets low ratings because they are TOO news oriented.
They don't play the ratings game like the FOX vs. MSNBC battle and that's why their ratings are so low.
FOX gets news because of cleavage, legs, boobs, crotch shots, and back sides. They make no attempt to hide it and their ratings are high.
MSNBC is the anti-FOX network showing people like Chris Matthews. He's entertaining but certainly not worthy of any nice leg views.
That leaves CNN in the void. Not willing to play that game and still having to succumb to the low ratings.

If given a choice between watching the same news story, would you want to see Megyn Kelly and her cleavage or Wolf Blitzer?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:41 pm 
Bronze Member

DaveD wrote:
They don't play the ratings game like the FOX vs. MSNBC battle and that's why their ratings are so low.
FOX gets news because of cleavage, legs, boobs, crotch shots, and back sides. They make no attempt to hide it and their ratings are high.
MSNBC is the anti-FOX network showing people like Chris Matthews. He's entertaining but certainly not worthy of any nice leg views.
That leaves CNN in the void. Not willing to play that game and still having to succumb to the low ratings.

If given a choice between watching the same news story, would you want to see Megyn Kelly and her cleavage or Wolf Blitzer?

This is my theory.

The internet has changed a lot and that includes how people get their hard news. Why watch an hour of CNN when I can go to their website and digest the big headlines of the day in a few minutes? I applaud them for sticking to their principles but they should expect their ratings to suffer as a result. One of the smartest moves in the past few years with cable news was MSNBC staking out the Left side of the political spectrum. With Fox on the right CNN has nowhere to go except along the same path they've been on.
I remember when Campbell Brown started her show and she went on Jon Stewart's show to promote it and Stewart asked her flat out how she expects to compete with the two big loudmouths on Fox and MSNBC (Olbermann was on during that time). I don't remember exactly what she said but it was something along the lines of "people are tired of the partisanship and want straight news and honest analysis." Well, Campbell didn't last long.

I don't know what CNN can do at this point but as long as they remain a straight news organization their ratings will suffer.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:45 pm 
WWoW Member

DaveD wrote:

I see more useless fluff, celebrity BS or anything they think is "hip" or cutesy than real news.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:26 pm 
Bronze Member

DaveD wrote:

You sure about that? A couple of days ago they did a story about real life Zombies after some nut chewed on another guys face

CNN is the network that took to the streets to get peoples real time reaction to hearing that Whitney Houston had died

TOO news oriented? lol

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:29 pm 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

The public has asked for more info-tainment by their choices throughout the years. This might be a chicken and egg thing though. But CNN was a leader in this kind of thing especially after 9/11. Still another trend is the polarization of the American public as well, politically.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:27 am 
Bronze Member

DenisMa wrote:
The public has asked for more info-tainment by their choices throughout the years. This might be a chicken and egg thing though. But CNN was a leader in this kind of thing especially after 9/11. Still another trend is the polarization of the American public as well, politically.

A sad commentary on the viewing public for both...info-tainment instead of news and the polarization.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:29 am 
Bronze Member

FishOil wrote:
DaveD wrote:

This is my theory.

The internet has changed a lot and that includes how people get their hard news. Why watch an hour of CNN when I can go to their website and digest the big headlines of the day in a few minutes? I applaud them for sticking to their principles but they should expect their ratings to suffer as a result. One of the smartest moves in the past few years with cable news was MSNBC staking out the Left side of the political spectrum. With Fox on the right CNN has nowhere to go except along the same path they've been on.
I remember when Campbell Brown started her show and she went on Jon Stewart's show to promote it and Stewart asked her flat out how she expects to compete with the two big loudmouths on Fox and MSNBC (Olbermann was on during that time). I don't remember exactly what she said but it was something along the lines of "people are tired of the partisanship and want straight news and honest analysis." Well, Campbell didn't last long.

I don't know what CNN can do at this point but as long as they remain a straight news organization their ratings will suffer.

they can stick to their principles in my opinion and don't worry about ratings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:20 am 
Silver Member

We can argue all day on whether on not CNN is middle of the road or not. For the sake of argument let's say they are. Truth is the middle of the road viewing audience only tune in for breaking news which is were CNN does the best. (Personally I think CNN is left leaning and when MSNBC in 08 became the official Obama network that took a big chunk out of CNN)

Your hardcore news junkies are political junkies and they are all watching the networks that through out the red meat. CNN does do a lot of fluff stories. They need to get better guests on their shows and have more important interviews.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:00 pm 
Bronze Member

DaveD wrote:

CNN too news oriented? hmm, maybe they should have more animal stories, cooking tips, etc lol

CNN: Cable "News" Network! :TickTock

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:02 pm 
Bronze Member

ajd40 wrote:
DaveD wrote:

CNN too news oriented? hmm, maybe they should have more animal stories, cooking tips, etc lol

CNN: Cable "News" Network! :TickTock

PS: Wolf Blitzer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:57 pm 
Bronze Member

ajd40 wrote:

PS: Wolf Blitzer

Can't argue about Wolf Blitzer - the beard must go.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:18 pm 
Silver Member

Are we not manning the bilge pumps, CNN? Re-running coverage of the Diamond Jubilee in ENGLAND while a major recall election reaches its climax in Wisconsin, USA?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism ... -One-Cared

However, major kudos to Brooke Baldwin for putting up with Piers Morgan for an extended weekend...perhaps she should move to prime time, take his spot, and send Mr. Morgan back to jolly old England?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:34 pm 
WWoW Member

LongJohnScotty wrote:
Are we not manning the bilge pumps, CNN? Re-running coverage of the Diamond Jubilee in ENGLAND while a major recall election reaches its climax in Wisconsin, USA?

I have a feeling CNN is run by the Stoogies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:04 pm 
Gold Member

Who keeps Fareek Navazad and Piers Morgan but dumps Jacqui Jeras?
That goes as my bonehead move of the century

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:43 pm 
Bronze Member

Piers eh maybe, but but Fareek, he has one of the best shows on CNN if not any of the major networks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:35 pm 

Now if someone would just explain to me who the heck "Fareek Navazad" is,
I could follow the conversation a lot better...

:jetserl :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:21 pm 
Silver Member

pacificRT wrote:
Now if someone would just explain to me who the heck "Fareek Navazad" is,
I could follow the conversation a lot better...

:jetserl :mrgreen:

His actual name is Fareed Zakaria. He hosts "Fareed Zakaria: GPS". IMHO, the show is a misnomer since he is so out of touch with most of America.

Fareed's contribution to CNN's downward spiral is that he is the part of the "foreign exchange student" wing of CNN. In their attempt to go global, they signed him and Piers Morgan.

I could go chapter and verse of his past offenses, but really his show is the same as the rest of the chattering class on the Sunday pundit shows: beltway insiders who have no idea WTF is going on outside DC, the intellectual elite who dream up the same stupid theories and ideas that have been epic fail for decades, and the alleged posterior-kissing journalists (Zakaria) who don't even pretend to ask hard questions of the other two classes.

Meanwhile Fox News Channel actually does hard news on Sundays (Fox and Friends Weekend @7-10am, America's Newsroom 10-12 and America's News HQ 12-2pm. Oh, and they also have female reporters who look good AND do journalism (Alison Camerota, Jamie Colby, Shannon Bream).

So you have two choices: get lectured to by a bunch of know-nothings, or ogle lovely women who tell you what's going on in the world.

And as long as we're talking about CNN, women and stupid moves, sacking Jacqui and keeping the "foreign exchange students" was a bad idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:35 pm 
Silver Member

If CNN actually cared about being a news channel they could start by doing weekend editions of Early Start (6-8am) and Starting Point(9-11am). CNN, and their li'l sister HLN, probably have some female talent on the benches who could do the weekend shows. (Or they could give Laurie Dhue/Paige Hopkins/Brigitte Quinn some calls and bring them out of retirement?)

Let Brooke Baldwin do an actual news show in the 8.p.m. weeknight slot.

Let US Immigration pull deportation orders on Morgan and Zakaria. Cut Candy Crowley a severance settlement and bring back Kiran Chetry so she can do a show.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next