Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Major layoffs coming to ESPN by June
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:52 pm 
WWoW Artist

According to Richard Deistch of SI Media, this does not look good for possibly many of its' on-air staff:

"SI has learned that ESPN will have significant cost-cutting over the next four months on its talent side (people in front of the camera or audio/digital screen). Multiple sources said ESPN has been tasked with paring tens of millions of staff salary from its payroll, including staffers many viewers and readers will recognize. Those with contracts coming up would be particularly vulnerable, sources said. The company is also expected to buyout some existing contracts, which is something rare for ESPN historically beyond a few NFL talents. The cuts are expected to be completed by June. Sources within ESPN say that there is no set list of names yet and stressed that behind-the-scenes people will likely (key word) not be impacted by these cuts.

Last month Reuters reported Disney had a lower-than-expected quarterly revenue, hurt by the drop in advertising revenue at ESPN. In addition, ESPN continues to shed subscribers at an enhanced rate, down to 88.4 million households in Dec. 2016. That number was 100.002 million in Feb. 2011.

Though it remains one of the great destination jobs in the sports media and hiring will continue, ESPN has experienced significant layoffs over the last two years. In Oct. 2015 the company laid off roughly 300 employees, many who had spent their entire professional careers at ESPN.

On Sunday when contacted by SI.com, an ESPN spokesperson provided the following statement: "We have long been about serving fans and innovating to create the best content for them. Today's fans consume content in many different ways and we are in a continuous process of adapting to change and improving what we do. Inevitably that has consequences for how we utilize our talent. We are confident that ESPN will continue to have a roster of talent that is unequaled in sports."

http://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/03/05/espn-sunday-nfl-countdown-replacement-chris-berman-sam-ponder

Sure hope this isn't the end for Hannah Storm, Jaymee Sire, and especially Linda Cohn. They are the reasons we watch and continue to watch, exorbitant subscriber fees or not.

But it appears that Samantha Ponder will take the lead role from the retiring Chris Berman on Sunday NFL Countdown.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this rather thorny, but mostly inevitable subject.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Major layoffs coming to ESPN by June
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:49 pm 
Silver Member

It sucks to hear that especially that the cuts will be some of our favorites. We know a few are safe, I agree with Jaymee (possibly depending on what ESPN does with the morning programming), Hannah, and maybe Jade even though she signed an extension. Has Jade been seen lately? Would they get rid of Linda Cohn who on her 25th year there? Good possibility. I highly doubt they would get rid of Sara Walsh and Lindsay because they're still on leave. Unsure about Lisa, Nicole, and Dianna though both Lisa and Dianna both have five years combined at Sportscenter. Who knows with Sarina and Toni. That's SC related unsure about reporters and other on-air talent. Hopefully those we see leave will get an opportunity to get hired on the other national sports networks out there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 pm 
Bronze Member

Will this be the 1 time acting PC is good for us? Will they fire a lot of women at a sports network & get accused of sexism?
Fire Linda & is it ageism?

Get rid of the guys & keep the ladies!

How about the overpaid ex athletes that dont bring anything to the table? Not all but there are a few that can get canned for big savings.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:17 pm 
Bronze Member

I agree with newsguy on that. More than a few are safe especially, Jaymee, Hannah, and Cari on their respective morning SportsCenter shows, even Jade, Sara, and Lindsay as well despite their respective leave. Linda Cohn could stick around for the next five years if needed. Lisa, Nicole, and Dianna would stick around with the network as well as far as FS1 and NBCSN are concerned.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:19 pm 
Bronze Member

infamous04 wrote:
I agree with newsguy on that. More than a few are safe especially, Jaymee, Hannah, and Cari on their respective morning SportsCenter shows, even Jade, Sara, and Lindsay as well despite their respective leave. Linda Cohn could stick around for the next five years if needed. Lisa, Nicole, and Dianna would stick around with the network as well as far as FS1 and NBCSN are concerned.

So basically everyone's staying?
I doubt that

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:53 pm 
Silver Member

My SWAG is that it will the fellas most likely to be gone...probably starting with Max Bretos and Jonathan Coachman (the Way Too Loud for Saturday Night Duo). With Mike Greenberg getting SC:AM, probably Golic the Elder is gone too (with the very junior Golic the Younger right behind poppa).

The junior SC staff and subs are most likely targets as well. If our favorite ladies have no real seniority (you know this better than I do), enjoy them (and cap them) while there still on TV.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:41 pm 

LongJohnScotty wrote:
My SWAG is that it will the fellas most likely to be gone...probably starting with Max Bretos and Jonathan Coachman (the Way Too Loud for Saturday Night Duo). With Mike Greenberg getting SC:AM, probably Golic the Elder is gone too (with the very junior Golic the Younger right behind poppa).

The junior SC staff and subs are most likely targets as well. If our favorite ladies have no real seniority (you know this better than I do), enjoy them (and cap them) while there still on TV.

You could be right, but something to keep in mind is that many times when a network or
station is up against making budget cuts like this, the bigger earners (meaning those who've got a number of years logged there)
get their contracts bought out -- that way, many millions will be saved.
So being a newbie making relative chump change can often keep you safely under the radar
when the bean counters get out the axes. :?

(See the Weather Channel's method for the last few years)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:53 pm 
Bronze Member

I agree about Max and The Coach possibly getting the boot and possibly to be replaced by the ladies as in Lisa Kerney and Nicole Briscoe (Ladies After Dark Duo) and Mike Golic and Mike Golic Jr. if necessary. How in the world that the so-called A-Team of Max and The Coach could be getting the boot? They maybe Olbermann and Patrick of the present but they're not. As for the favorite ladies part, they'll likely stay put with SportsCenter and the network.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:58 am 
Bronze Member

LongJohnScotty wrote:
My SWAG is that it will the fellas most likely to be gone...probably starting with Max Bretos and Jonathan Coachman (the Way Too Loud for Saturday Night Duo). .

Disagree on Coachman. He is their link with WWE ( Notice the Wed night interviews with various wrestlers & ESPN Sends him to Wrestlemania) so of all the guys I think he is the safest.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:24 am 
WWoW regular

infamous04 wrote:

If Greenberg moves to ESPN, Jaymee isn't safe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:44 am 
Bronze Member

pacificRT wrote:
LongJohnScotty wrote:

You could be right, but something to keep in mind is that many times when a network or
station is up against making budget cuts like this, the bigger earners (meaning those who've got a number of years logged there)
get their contracts bought out -- that way, many millions will be saved.
So being a newbie making relative chump change can often keep you safely under the radar
when the bean counters get out the axes. :?

(See the Weather Channel's method for the last few years)

Great point, but seniority probably won't be as big a factor as whoever's contract happens to be up in the near future. That said, I would bet they will get rid of some names of that will surprise us.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:55 am 
Silver Member

Could get the boot: Nicole (been there for nine years), Jaymee (probably depends on what happens with SC: AM), Jade (hasn't been seen in a while).

50-50: Hannah (long tenure and big name, depending on if the bosses like her Face to Face series), Linda (longest tenure female though seemed to hypocritical if ESPN getting rid of her and not Berman and/or Ley). Lindsay

I think the others are safe unless they're looking for or offered better options elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:37 am 
Bronze Member

jjis wrote:
infamous04 wrote:

If Greenberg moves to ESPN, Jaymee isn't safe.

That would be bad news for Jaymee, but that is unlikely at least. If Greenberg does move to ESPN, I assume the SportsCenter AM crew are staying put.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:45 am 
Bronze Member

newsguy wrote:
Could get the boot: Nicole (been there for nine years), Jaymee (probably depends on what happens with SC: AM), Jade (hasn't been seen in a while).

50-50: Hannah (long tenure and big name, depending on if the bosses like her Face to Face series), Linda (longest tenure female though seemed to hypocritical if ESPN getting rid of her and not Berman and/or Ley). Lindsay

I think the others are safe unless they're looking for or offered better options elsewhere.

That would be highly unlikely for Jaymee who's been there for 4 years, Jade who hasn't been seen since NFL Insiders, and Nicole who's been there for almost 10 years. Same for Hannah Storm, Linda Cohn who's been there for almost 25 years, and Lindsay Czarniak IMO. I think Jaymee, Hannah, Lindsay, Jade, Nicole, Linda, Lisa Kerney, Sara Walsh, Dianna Russini, and Cari Champion are possibly and/or likely to be safe as far as the layoffs concerned. I assume they'll all stay put and get contract renewals with ESPN if needed as far as it goes.

I could argue with that scenario to say the least.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:28 pm 
Bronze Member

How bout Wendi Nix, could she be in danger?
Hosts 1 show in the middle of the day, has been around a while, probably makes a decent paycheck.
Seems vulnerable to me.

Let's turn around the question:
Who would you be crushed to hear they had dumped?
One name.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:49 pm 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

Sign of the times. I'd miss Britt McHenry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:34 pm 
WWoW Artist

hanley wrote:
How bout Wendi Nix, could she be in danger?
Hosts 1 show in the middle of the day, has been around a while, probably makes a decent paycheck.
Seems vulnerable to me.

Let's turn around the question:
Who would you be crushed to hear they had dumped?
One name.

Linda Cohn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:44 pm 
Bronze Member

here where major issue espn has. they do not know if want to news channel or sport channel. other issue they have have is this. cbs sports fox sports nbc sports went out to get tops sports to have on their channel. what has ESPN done lately. all i see most time is being sport news channel and not carrying about being sport channel like other channels have done. they have 5 channels. one news channel other four sports since one is done for Spanish people one for college other two meet to be sport channel but get more news other stuff then sports.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:58 pm 
WWoW Artist

It would crush me if ESPN let go of either Hannah Storm or Linda Cohn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:37 pm 
Bronze Member

That would be bad news for either of them. But I would be amazed if ESPN keeps Hannah Storm, Linda Cohn, Jaymee Sire, Sara Walsh, Jade McCarthy, Cassidy Hubbarth Lisa Kerney, Dianna Russini, Lindsay Czarniak, Nicole Briscoe, and Cari Champion just to name a few and I would be crushed if ESPN let go of Sage Steele, Britt McHenry, and/or Michelle Beadle IMO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next