Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Luisa Fired from Telemundo
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:59 am 
WWoW Member

This is political crrectness gone wild. Too many people in the media and
the government have softened their views for one reason only, that is to
avoid being hit with a law suit. The media can get away with saying
anything they want, yet an ordinary person or a talk show host gets
fired for using a word that is means something else in another country.
Talk about your two sided, hypocritical television media.....

:Boxing
Stamp out political correctness.............
The Weasel

IceMan wrote:
Normally I'd not post a discussion thread here but since this is the forum for Spanish Women I thought I'd post the sad news here:

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2007/0 ... 430475.php
"According to the magazine People en Español, Luisa Fernanda, 36, was fired from Cotorreando for using the term "cherna" in Wednesday's broadcast. Although in Mexico, the word is a synonym of a grouper fish, it is used pejoratively by Cubans and other Caribbeans to refer to a gay man, according to a spokesperson for GLAAD, the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. Telemundo announced that it "decided to terminate our relationship with Luisa Fernanda because she behaved in a manner that is not consistant with the culture of our company, including our respect for diversity." Monica Taher, media director of GLAAD, told La Opinión that "we are seeing a radical cultural change in Spanish media, which makes us feel happy and proud." Luisa Fernanda is a former member of the Mexican music group Garibaldi, and has appeared in vaious telenovelas and as host of the Spanish-language Home Shopping Network. In 2001, Telemundo hired her to co-host Cotorreando with veteran Cuban journalist Mauricio Zeilic. Cotorreando is broadcast at noon on KVEA Channel 52 in Los Angeles."

I did watch the show opening today not knowing she was gone yet and Luisa is gone from the show opening animation and a guest co-host was on.

Profile Send private message  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2