Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LYNNE RUSSELL (ex-CNN Headline News infobabe) is back!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:51 pm 
WWoW regular

Lynne's still lookin' good!

Hey, isn't it that woman from CNN?
What's fiery news veteran Lynne Russell doing reading news updates on the upper channels of the CBC?
By Suzanne Ma
GLOBEANDMAIL.COM

Five years after veteran anchor Lynne Russell signed off from her last broadcast on CNN Headline News, the flamboyant newscaster, famous for her red hair and sultry voice, is back -- this time on Canadian television.

Russell is now behind the desk at CBC Newsworld in Toronto, reading headlines at the top of the hour on Friday evenings and hosting the occasional newscast. It's a small job for a big-time journalist, who spent 18 years at CNN in Atlanta. But that's exactly what she wants, for now.

"It's a great way to settle in and become familiar with the operation," said Russell, 59, who first appeared on the CBC in mid-May. "It's wonderful to have the luxury of taking that kind of time."

Dressed in black strappy heels and a peach-orange blazer, Russell anchored Newsworld updates last Sunday, conducting a live question-and-answer segment with a World Cup soccer expert in Vancouver. As time ran out, producers in the control room gently told Russell to "wrap it up." She finished the segment smoothly with a dashing smile, but later told producers that she wasn't sure how much time she had left in the segment.

"Everyone is just so nice and polite here," she said. "I was waiting for someone to go 'shut the hell up!' That's how they do it down south."

During her time at CNN, Russell garnered a massive fan following (one that is still alive and well today on the Internet), maintaining a much higher -- and sexier -- profile than most anchors. She was asked twice by Playboy to pose (clothed) but declined, and also appeared on the Late Night with Conan O'Brien, where she hiked up her skirt to reveal a gun and holster strapped to her thigh. An unusual accessory for most news anchors maybe, but not for Russell, who still works as a private investigator and was a volunteer sheriff in Atlanta. She holds two black belts in the Korean martial art Choi Kwang Do, and has a tattoo on the inside of her left forearm with Korean characters that read "Pil Sung" or "Certain Victory."

Today, Russell and partner Thomas Beck call Toronto home. This week, they purchased and moved into their first house in the west end of the city. They plan to settle in Canada permanently. The couple moved from Atlanta last July after Beck, a German citizen, accepted an offer to become the president and CEO of the Canadian German Chamber of Industry and Commerce. He held the same position at Atlanta's German-American Chamber of Commerce. "I was sitting at home thinking what it would be like to have winter again when [Thomas] called and asked, 'How'd you like to move to Toronto?' " Russell recalls. "I heard myself saying, 'When?' " Over the years, both she and Beck travelled extensively for their jobs and found Canada to be a comforting place.

"I've worked from one end of the [United States] to another . . . and I think y'all have something good going here," said Russell, who, at times, speaks with a slight southern drawl, though she was born in New Jersey.

"There are neighbourhoods here. I live on a street where there are little lawns, and people talk to each other, people take care of each other, and if you get sick, there are people knocking on your door with chicken soup."

While many Canadian journalists head south of the border for opportunities at bigger and seemingly more exciting U.S. networks, Russell said she has come to Toronto looking for a "mellower" time. From the time she was 19, her life has been the exact opposite.

After dropping out of nursing school in college, she got a job as a receptionist at a radio station in Colorado where she quickly became a disc jockey, and later moved on to talk radio. In 1978, she appeared on television reporting for local news stations across the United States. She was one of the first anchors hired at CNN Headline News in 1983, and was the first woman to be a prime-time solo anchor on network television.

Her autobiography titled How to Win Friends, Kick a$$ & Influence People was released in 1999. She met her partner, Beck, that same year at a party in Atlanta. She was standing at the back of the room with an empty wineglass. He brought her some more wine, and later that week, sent a whole case of German wine to CNN. "Security went crazy," laughed Russell, who received heaps of letters from crazed fans and stalkers.

Russell recalls one instance when a man followed her to the San Antonio airport and repeatedly tried to get in the background of her location shot. "I covered my mike, turned to the man and said, 'If you don't knock it off, you're gonna carry your balls out in a basket.' "

She left CNN in 2001 because she wanted to change her lifestyle. "Life is too short," she said. "And I was tired of trying to catch up all the time." Both her parents died that year and Beck was diagnosed with colon cancer (he underwent surgery and is now cancer-free). Life at CNN was also in a state of flux, after the network was purchased by the newly merged AOL Time Warner.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:36 pm 
Gold Member

she's really 59?before robin meade came along i only watched cnn headline new for lynne.she still looks pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:25 pm 
WWoW regular

:bravo :bravo :bravo :bravo :bravo Always great seeing Lynne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:43 am 
WWoW regular

If anyone in this forum gets this Canadian news channel which Lynne is on, I"d really appreciate seeing more vidcaps of this lovely lady.

Yes, Lynne Russell really is 59 years young. Hard to believe, eh?

KLG Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:51 am 
Bronze Member

lovely lady! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:15 pm 
Bronze Member

Quote:
though she was born in New Jersey

I would have guessed she was from the Amazon :) . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:46 pm 
Gold Member

NoSale wrote:
Quote:
though she was born in New Jersey

I would have guessed she was from the Amazon :) . . . . . .
no kiddin,wasnt she also a bodyguard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:11 am 
Jedi Disciple

:D I remember an old People magazine article that showed her Kick-Boxing like a champion, so it is possible that Lynne was a bodyguard :Kool :Kool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:00 pm 
Platinum Member

thanks shes super fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:35 pm 
WWoW regular

Last edited by KLGfan on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:40 pm 
WWoW Artist

Now that's a classic beauty.

Nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:51 pm 
WWoW regular

Yes, she is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:59 am 
WWoW Artist

And it still looks like she's kicking high!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:35 am 
Gold Member

WOW, I remeber Lynn. One of my first newslady krushes. Yeah, she still looks damn good and probably still sounds as sexy as ever! :Kool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:38 pm 
Platinum Member

thanks shes still fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:54 am 
WWoW regular

Some recent pix of Lynne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:08 am 
Bronze Member

would love to see more of her and that big rack!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:06 am 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

I'm happy now. I get CBC on my cable. :yipee

Megyn Kelly's #1 Fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:33 pm 
Platinum Member

thanks she is still super fine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:20 pm 
WWoW regular

"I'm happy now. I get CBC on my cable"

Any chance of you gettin' and posting some vidcaps of Lynne? It'd be nice!

KLGfan

p.s. Big :shock: "rack" indeed!