Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recording the Sopranos on a and e
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:02 pm 

my dvd recorder shuts off after a couple minutes and I get a message that this program is copyright protected . This the only time i have this happen
anybody else trying to record this show?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:14 am 
WWoW Artist

If you are talking about recording DVDs on you computer, download DVD43. You can get it here http://www.dvd43.com/. It should work whith most DVD recorders you use with a computer.

If you do use it and it stops working, go back to the web site, they might have an upgrade. Or sometimes you have to play some of the DVD before trying to burn it.

DVD43 does work nice, you may want to go to www.download.com and download some DVD recorders to see what works best for you. I like ICopyDVDs2 & 1Click DVD Copy ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:48 am 
Capper Emeritus

It appears that cable companies broadcasting shows can set a copyright flag to tell DVRs whether or not the show can be recorded. That must be what is happening in your case.

A discussion on DVRs and copyright flag:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t312262.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:47 pm 
Administrator

It's macrovision encrypted, and most dvd recorders won't record it. A lot of dvd's and vhs have the same thing. The only way around that I know to get around it is to record it to your pc, then make a dvd with Nero or one of the many Roxio/Sonic Programs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:05 pm 

i was trying on a stand alone dvd recorder
doubt i ever get another 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:09 pm 
Administrator

It must be recently they're doing this. I've recorded a ton of movies from HBO and Starz that weren't encrypted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:57 pm 
WWoW Artist

I saw somewhere, (I forgot where). DC passed a law that will let stations put filters in so that you can't record, or you can record, but after viewing it one time, it will delete it's self.

If I remember, it had something to do with HDTV but can't be sure and when they can start to keep people from recording :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:18 pm 
WWoW Artist

donkeed wrote:
It must be recently they're doing this. I've recorded a ton of movies from HBO and Starz that weren't encrypted.

It depends on the station & on the cable/satellite company. If the cable/satellite company doesn't set the "flag" even if HBO wants it you'll be able to record freely.

It's usually On Demand stuff, PPV & some HBO & Showtime things that get the flag.

Post subject: Re: Recording the Sopranos on a and e
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:53 pm 
WWoW regular

Backrate wrote:
my dvd recorder shuts off after a couple minutes and I get a message that this program is copyright protected .

This is becoming more common -- the next salvos in the copyright holders vs we-want-to-copy-anyway battles. There's a flag that your cable/sat can include with the signal that will block your recorder from recording the program. I don't think there's any way to get around it with that equipment [there are ways to finesse/beat the copyright machinery but no way I know of to do that directly on the [standalone] DVD-recorder].

It is a fascinating battle, actually: copyright holders attempting to find ways to enforce their legal-rights [wrt to controlling copying of their work] against the folk who are determined to make copies of anything they please, the wishes of the copyright holders notwithstanding. [and folk in the middle often end up turning into "acceptable collateral damage"]. Wait'll you see the stuff in Vista for dealing with this kind of thing.

The copyright holder [likely HBO for the Sopranos, I think] would simply tell you that if you'd like the Sopranos on DVD you can buy a set from Amazon or the like, and almost anything else you do to try to make copies of their show is, in essence, pirating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:03 pm 
WWoW Artist

slowpoke wrote:
I saw somewhere, (I forgot where). DC passed a law that will let stations put filters in so that you can't record, or you can record, but after viewing it one time, it will delete it's self.

If I remember, it had something to do with HDTV but can't be sure and when they can start to keep people from recording :twisted:

Yep, you can forget about recording HBO and other pay stations in HDTV. Like donkeed said macrovision encrypted. There is no way around it on the stand-alone DVD recorder. I even tried to record on a Digital-VHS recorder (the only way to record HD without using your computer) and i get the same message "program is copyright protected". But i can record HBO, and other channels in SD without a problem. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:30 pm 
Administrator

I forgot to mention there is one way around the encryption.

If you have any old vcr's that don't have the macrovision crap built into it, you can use it to pipe the signal to your dvd recorder. Check the instruction manual of the vcr for the macrovision logo if you're not sure. Just hook up from your cable/sat to the vcr then output from the vcr to the dvd recorder, and that should get rid of the encryption.

I had a really old vcd recorder that I used, and it worked for copying copyrighted dvds.

Good luck.