Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DirecTV upgrade extortion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:25 pm 
WWoW regular

DirecTV is shutting down some of its old SD/HD satellites and as a result people with their older DVRs/Receivers are being forced to upgrade to newer Genie equipments like the HR44 or HR54 or the Genie 2. I, with my HR20, unfortunately fall into this category.

It's been over 10 years since I last had to deal with this crap and I haven't been keeping up on things in the meantime. I had been using component video outputs on the HR20 to do video captures. According to what I've found, the HR44 has component outputs. The HR54 doesn't have the outputs but apparently has some way of adapting to them (it's a bit murky). And the Genie 2...forgetaboutit. So if I were forced to choose (and I basically am being forced to choose), it looks like I would go with the HR44 to preserve my capturing abilities.

But I'm having a hard time understanding this whole Genie concept with the Minis and how this all works. I know the minis tie back into the central DVR unit, either via cable or wirelessly. But I don't understand what you can do with the Mini vs what you can do with the DVR.

They are connected but how are they connected? Is it possible to have the DVR playing something downstairs with that TV and have someone pick a different TV with a mini and start watching live TV on that screen? And what about setting up recordings? Can they be set up from any location or do you have to be at the DVR TV in order to set up a recording? My sister has Dish and she says on their system you can only set up recording using the TV with the central DVR unit. DirecTV has not made finding this information easy or very comprehendible.

Anyone else out there got a Genie setup with minis in multiple rooms who can explain the system and any pitfalls I need to be aware of.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: DirecTV upgrade extortion
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:01 pm 
WWoW Artist

I have DirectTV with the HR44 and the Genie minis. Are you still looking for information about them?

Profile Send private message