Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: External Hard Drive Problems
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:42 pm 
Jedi Knight

Last night as I was copying some files from my PC to my Seagate external hard drive, I noticed that it was going extremely slow, like 350kb instead of like 30mb transfer rate.

After it finished, I checked it for errors and my my PC said it had some and I fixed them.

Today, when I connect it to my PC, it doesn't show up. The light on the Seagate turns on, and you can feel it spinning or whatever. The PC makes a beep when it connects, but a few seconds later, it makes another beep that it has been disconnected.

Anyone have any advice?

Gretchen Carlson's #1 Fan.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: External Hard Drive Problems
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 pm 

I've had a similar issue with a Western Digital external drive too. Was working fine one day then the next it didn't. Windows wouldn't even recognize that it was plugged in. Tested it on 2 different computers; same issue on both.

This isn't really advice, so I don't recommend doing this if you don't have experience doing it, but I'll mention it anyway in case you're willing to try it. I pulled the drive out of its case (which was actually hilariously complicated) and removed its USB circuit board, and instead installed it as a regular internal drive using a SATA cable. Has worked perfectly fine since, but obviously I've lost the convenience of using it as a portable external drive.

Again, I don't recommend it if you don't know what you're doing. Otherwise you'll end up with an expensive paper weight.

(By the way, I'd stay away from using Window's built-in error checking program. When it does find errors, it tends to delete files without asking. I've lost a lot of recordings/videos the few times I've used it in the past. Instead, I would use CrystalDiskInfo to confirm if it does have errors, then use Seagate's own SeaTools program to try to fix them.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:42 am 
Jedi Knight

I might have to try what you mentioned. I don't know what I'm doing, but if the only other option is losing all my videos, caps, etc. there's no other choice.

I won't send it in to one of those hard drive recovery places because then they'll see all my Gretchen videos. :oops:

I've also read that it might just be the USB part, and that it's not that complicated to switch out on a Seagate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:30 pm 
WWoW Artist

mozes wrote:
I might have to try what you mentioned. I don't know what I'm doing, but if the only other option is losing all my videos, caps, etc. there's no other choice.

I won't send it in to one of those hard drive recovery places because then they'll see all my Gretchen videos. :oops:

I've also read that it might just be the USB part, and that it's not that complicated to switch out on a Seagate.

It really could be something as simple as an intermittent USB cable or USB port. Have you tried a new cable or plugging it in to another port?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:59 pm 
Jedi Knight

Nick! wrote:
mozes wrote:

It really could be something as simple as an intermittent USB cable or USB port. Have you tried a new cable or plugging it in to another port?

I bought another Seagate that arrived yesterday that uses the same USB cable and the problem persists. I tried some older hard drives and some USB flash drives on all my PC ports , and they all work fine.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:05 pm 
WWoW Artist

mozes wrote:
Nick! wrote:
mozes wrote:

I bought another Seagate that arrived yesterday that uses the same USB cable and the problem persists. I tried some older hard drives and some USB flash drives on all my PC ports , and they all work fine.

WOW...2 different Seagates don't work. It's time to call Seagate tech support. I have 1 Seagate and it has worked on 3 different PCs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:30 pm 
Jedi Knight

Nick! wrote:
mozes wrote:
Nick! wrote:
mozes wrote:

WOW...2 different Seagates don't work. It's time to call Seagate tech support. I have 1 Seagate and it has worked on 3 different PCs.

I meant the old one won't work with the new cable. The new one works fine... so far. I just also noticed the drive keeps spinning even if the PC disconnects it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:41 am 
Administrator

I know it sounds weird, but provided there's more than one, have you tried plugging it into a different USB port? I have a Western Digital that suddenly stopped being recognized when plugged into one of my laptop's port but works fine in the other.

Is the drive very old? You could try leaning it on its side or upside down and plugging it in to see what happens. I've squeezed just enough life out of old ones of mine using that method in order to get my stuff onto another external.

Robin Meade Video Dump - Updated 4/21/23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:01 pm 
Jedi Knight

That sounds odd, but I'll try anything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 am 
WWoW Member

You got a driver problem so update windows or a virus.