Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wi-Fi loses connection
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:28 pm 
Bronze Member

This is a longshot to ask here, but me and my brother rent a 2nd floor apartment above our landlord. Our Wi-Fi is included as part of our monthly rent. Lately, my brother and I have been experiencing frequent Wi-Fi loss on our laptops. Seems the only fix is for our landlord to reboot his router/modem. He often works late though and we obviously have no access to his router/modem, so we have to wait until he returns home to tell him. Here's the strange part...when the Wi-Fi connection is lost on our laptops both me and my brother are still able to connect with on our cell phones so is the problem specifically with our network settings on our laptops? It is very frustrating when it loses connection, happens every week. Any help/tips or guidance to possibly fix this problem would be appreciated. Thanks!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Wi-Fi loses connection
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:25 pm 
Bronze Member

How long are the lease on the laptops? Are the laptops always on or are you letting them go to sleep or hibernate?

It could be almost anything from a needed firmware update on the router, to the oldest leases being kicked off due to capacity issues. Since rebooting the router seems to fix the issue, I would start there in trying to debug the problem.

When do you notice that the laptops have lost connectivity? Overnight or right in the middle of doing something?

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:40 pm 
Bronze Member

What do you mean by lease, Aku? Me and my brother both shutdown our laptops when we go out, but they do go into sleep/hibernate mode often during the days we are home. I would say the laptops mostly lose connectivity during the late afternoon/evening hours and it has happened when I was in the middle of working online. On occassion I will be able to reconnect, but 95% of the time once it is lost I cannot connect until we contact our landlord and he reboots his router downstairs. What I don't understand is why we are able to still connect on our phones but not our laptops?

P.S. Both me and my brother have the latest OS for our laptops and keep everything up to date really well.

Thanks, Aku! :Thumb

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:09 pm 
Bronze Member

What I mean by lease is the Time To Live on the IP address being assign.

The command ipconfig/all will give you this info. This is what you are looking for.

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, May 28, 2017 1:32:58 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, May 29, 2017 1:32:58 PM

The router maybe having trouble renewing the lease if the laptop is not running. Typically it will try to renew the lease when 50% of the time has expired. In theory the router should try to renew the lease if it can't contact the device again.

It bothers me that you are having trouble starting the laptop after a shutdown. That is a new connection and should have no problem handing out an IP address.

Here is a trick you can try. If you find you can't pull an IP address on your laptop, but your phone is connected OK try accessing the router via your phone using a browser. The IP address you want to enter is the Default Gateway (this info is also included from the ipconfig/all command). What you are looking for is the Wi-Fi section and a button called "Restart". Some routers will all you to restart them without the password. Be careful you don't try to change any configuration on the router itself.

Even if you can't restart the router the webpage will tell you what kind of router it is. Then you can Google it and see if others have reported the same issue and what was done to fix it.

The information I have provided is advanced and if you are not comfortable trying to access the router, ask for help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:47 pm 
Bronze Member

Thanks Aku. I was able to find the lease dates, but forgive me that it is very confusing. I'm afraid I am very computer illiterate. lol! Are you telling me it would be better to never shut our laptops off? Thanks for your help, I am going to look into what you said. I even tried chatting live with Xfinity Support which is our provider, but we have no account or modem because our cable/wi-fi is included as part of our monthly rent to our Landlord and everything is under his name!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:01 pm 
Bronze Member

No, don't leave your laptops running all the time. That will just shorten their life.