Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anti-Virus Question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:34 pm 
Bronze Member

About two weeks ago I messed my laptop up in a bad way. Took it in to get repaired and they said they had to reinstall Windows 10 and take a snapshot of my hard drive to save my data. Plus put some form of software in it too. Although I had to install a few programs like Photoshop after getting my laptop back and it was painfully pricey ($205), I was just happy to have all my data intact! However I noticed one thing....I did not see my Anti-Virus any more. McAfee came free with Windows 10 and was active on my laptop prior to the problem. I use Defender now but is that enough or do I need to install another or different Ant-Virus program to keep my laptop safe???

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Anti-Virus Question
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:27 pm 
Bronze Member

I'm sure that McAfee that came with your laptop was a timebomb version. No big loss.

Look at the specs for Defender and make sure your laptop has enough RAM. If not there are several free anti-virus that should meet your needs. I use Avast. It has met my needs, however it is borderline bloatware. I did uninstall several components that normally install with Avast. This was in order to get performance out of my desktop (being a few years old).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:48 am 

I haven't used anti-virus in years. For me, Defender is more than enough. But then again, I don't have a habit of visiting sites I'm not familiar with. Defender is far from the best anti-virus in terms of actually detecting and removing viruses, but it is light weight and unobtrusive compared too high-end anti-virus software. Again, as long as you're not visiting bad sites it'll be good enough.

I find that browser script blockers do more to prevent viruses than any anti-virus software anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:42 pm 
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info guys. For Chris: Unfortunately I admit I do visit some scary sites. Mainly music blogs. I am going to have to either stop doing that or get a stronger anti-virus. Thx. :Kool