Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Connecting Computer to TV?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:17 pm 
Bronze Member

I have a laptop (Windows 10) that I connected to my TV via HDMI and it works fine, however when I tried to connect my desktop computer (Windows 7) to my TV via HDMI, all that shows up on my TV screen is my computer desktop wallpaper. No icons or any movement, just the desktop wallpaper alone. When I change the wallpaper on my computer it does reflect change on the TV too, but nothing else...no icons, taskbar ect. Or if I run a movie on my computer it doesn't show up on the TV screen. Any idea why this happens or how to fix it? Is there another way to connect beside HDMI? It just would be so much easier to have my desktop permanently connected to my TV.
Thanks!!!!!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Connecting Computer to TV?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:27 pm 
WWoW Artist

If your computer is still connected to another monitor when you also connect the HDTV, it's possible the two displays are set up in extended mode; where the HDTV is just an extension of your monitors desktop. If you moved your mouse further to the right from your main display, it would appear on the HDTV.

A couple of options here:

1) Change the display mode from extended to clone. This means whatever displays on the primary display also appears on the secondary display. However, I think full screen movies/games only appear on the primary display and the secondary display blanks out.

2) Swap displays. The displays remain in extended mode, but the HDTV now becomes the primary display (has all the icons) and the main monitor becomes the secondary display (only shows the background).

Where you make these changes depends on what graphic solution you have. For AMD Radeon, use Catalyst Control Center. For NVidia Geforce, use NVidia Control Panel. For Intel integrated graphics, use Control Panel --> Appearance and Personalization --> Display (I think).

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/59495-4- ... -wallpaper

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:53 pm 
Bronze Member

Thanks for the help, Cobra. I tried both methods you suggested and both worked. The one I prefer was changing my computer display to "Duplicate these displays".
My next question is now how do I get the sound to come out of the TV? When I connected my laptop to TV via HDMI, the audio automatically came out of my TV. Now the only sound is from my desktop speakers?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:40 pm 
Bronze Member

I figured it out! Thanks for the help, Cobra :Thumb