Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need advice on recording off a capture card for long periods
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:47 am 
WWoW Artist

I really need some advice with setting up my computer to record TV for long periods of time off a Avermedia HD DVR Capture Card. First, I don't even know how to properly set the timer on this card. Secondly, HD takes a large amount of space to record and in two days I can max out my hard drive space and even the external drive If I record all the time.

But that aside. I have to leave the computer on for hours to record shows and lately that means the monitor dies. If inactive the screen goes off and turns dark and the light on the on/off button starts blinking. I am unable to turn the monitor back on. Sometimes shutting off the computer and turning it back on brings the monitor back to life. I did find though that either putting the computer on sleep mode or putting on a screen saver helps to keep the monitor on without shutting off. But I also found out yesterday that then the capture card won't record with either method.

I also fought hard on this PC to keep the screen saver from activating before when reading or watching videos or listening to music online. So nowadays, the screen savers are have issues activating. I have to manually turn them on by going into the control panel and previewing them on. They will not activate at the set time. I would like a way to turn them on when needed and turn them off when needed. But yesterday, I wasn't able to record when I turned the screen saver on. The recording stopped at the moment I did that.

I already have dealt with issues relating to having the CPU on for hours, In November 2013, the PC died as it overheated. The fans made bad noises. I had to replace fansm the CPU and clean the computer. So these days I check the inside of the PC regularly. And I do leave the PC off for long periods. But I wanted to use the capture card as a DVR and record when I sleep or am away or don't care to see tv. I save about 15 bucks a month from renting the cable companies DVR.

So I need some advice or I will have to forego recording. All these damn issues have caused me to never successfully be able to post at this site successfully. I sometimes wonder how people here are able to do it and still do other things in life. But that aside, I am trying the best that I can.

I should add I use a windows 7 machine bought in 2011 before windows 8 came out. My attempt to try win 8 on a laptop I used fell short when I fried the machine to where it could no longer work when I used the wrong cleaning agents on the laptop. The windex killed the machine. So the laptop I use now is also a windows 7 machine. But I am only focusing on the PC as it is using a internal HD DVR Capture Card. Thanks for the help.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Need advice on recording off a capture card for long per
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:20 am 

Just so that I'm clear, I'll try to reiterate what you're saying.

1. You have an AverMedia HD DVR capture card.
2. You want to record continuously for long periods of time, but...
3. When your monitor turns off/computer sleeps/screen saver comes on, recordings stop.
4. Your saving money by not renting the cable companies DVR.

Hopefully I got that all right.

I need to understand further on point #3 first. Do I have it correct that your recordings stop when either your monitor turns off or the screen saver comes on? Also, are you using AverMedia's software to record? The reason why I'm curious about this one first is because 7 years ago when I first started recording, I was using the supplied software with my tuner (from Hauppauge) and whenever the monitor turned off or the computer went to sleep, my recordings suddenly ended. So I always had to leave my monitor on. It's likely AverMedia's software that is at fault and nothing at all to do with your computer. I would have suggested trying to use your card with Windows Media Center, but the AverMedia site says that it will not work.

If leaving your monitor on for long periods of time is an option for you, you should go to your Power Options and set sleep and display auto-off to Never, if you haven't already done that. As for turning the screen saver on/off at will, I'm not aware of a simple way to do that aside from how you're doing it now.

OK, now back to points 1, 2 and 4. I can't speak to this particular capture card (although I'm sure it is very similar to the old Hauppauge HD-PVR) so I'll explain how I record instead. Currently I'm using the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime which requires a CableCard from the cable company. I use Windows Media Center to record, which comes with Windows 7. Windows Media Center includes a TV guide (up to the next 14 days) that allows you to pick and choose what you want to record. You can set it to automatically record full series weekly/daily or individual shows at specific times, whatever you want to do. Hell, you can manually set it to record a single channel continuously for 23 hours and 59 minutes (the longest you can set) if you really want to.

I've had my computer on nearly everday for almost 5 years now. I record all day, every day, three HD channels at a time on Windows Media Center with no trouble at all. And believe me, my PC is nothing special. Doing what you're trying to do is definitely possible, but I'm not sure your card or the software that came with it is up to the task given the trouble it's causing you when your PC is performing minor routines.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but hopefully this might give you some direction on other recording devices and software.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:32 am 
WWoW Artist

I have two AverMedia devices/cards: AverTV HD DVR (pci-e card with component input) and the AverTV Hybrid Volar Max (USB tuner). I do use the software they supplied (Avermedia Center) to make videos and schedule recordings. The menu hierarchy is confusing in their software when you need to find various settings. Let me know if you want a step-by-step walk through on how to schedule recordings.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:50 pm 
WWoW Artist

Sorry Folks I just got around to finding this thread from May. Most of what Chris217 said was right on the money. I am recording using the Aver software and if I put the computer to sleep on sleep mode the recordings stop so I have to leave it on all day. At the time I posted this thread I was worried about the PC overheating and the fan going out. I tried sleep mode and that didn't work. I was trying to find a way to record with the screen saver on as a second idea and it also failed. The screen saver knocked out recordings. So I found that I have to give the PC some rest every few hours to not overheat it. The worry came from overheating the CPU in 2013 and having to replace it.

I am also having a space issue since recordings takes a lot of space so they max out my PC quickly. I also don't know how to program the Capture Card. I had tried to cap some stuff but running again into issues. And yeah I am frustrated enough trying to fix this or find alternatives that I am close to just taking the cable companies DVR and using the Card only to capture images. Never thought about going the cable card route. I was given the cable box from the get go with a HDMI cable connecting to the TV and composite cables to the card. I will ask Wizard about the help in scheduling recordings. At least if I can effectively use the card, I can at least record on timer, watch video and maybe screen capture and then delete video as it is too big to save. And I have a 500 GB PC with nearly a 400 GB Drive C, 65GB Drive G, and small 10 GB Drive H, and a 1 TB external. I find I need to sleep and can't stick around so I record live without using the timer to see some stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:59 pm 

Almost forgot that I had posted in this thread. Sorry that the best I could do was suggest alternatives but hopefully Wizard is able to help you figure this all out.

If screen capping only is what you intend to do, I wouldn't worry about storage. I've spent more than I'm willing to say on hard drives because I'm too stubborn to delete my recordings. 25TB and counting... :oops: