Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: COMCAST CAN NO LONGER RECORD TO DVDS OR VHS
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:41 pm 
WWoW Artist

Recently Comcast has changed the way it feeds it signal in my area. I can no longer record any of its feed to DVD or VHS (unless someone knows something I don't know and I've tried everything). My only option now is to record to their DVR and I can get the signal from that DVR to record to a VHS or DVD. Comcast online chat tech support, phone support and even a technican visit all told I can not record to anything except their DVR and I can not move the feed from their DVR to any other record-able source.

I serious hope none of our major contributors here run into the same issues. I know I am PISSED beyond PISSED as I can no longer save anything from QVC, HSN etc except what is posted her or on youtube.

I am looking at other services at this point Dish etc. Hopefully one of those will allow me to record to a DVD so I can put the video onto my computer and save on DVDs.

if anyone has Comcast, had similar issues and has a work around to be able to record from non-channel 3 to a DVD let me know. I am sure it will also help many others here as well.

Thanks in advance and thanks to all who post videos and caps here.

dave

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: COMCAST CAN NO LONGER RECORD TO DVDS OR VHS
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:13 am 
WWoW Artist

I have comcast but I don't use their dvr. Instead I use my own dvr it is a Hi Def Tivo unit. Comcast just gave me a cable card that goes into the slot of the Tivo unit.

My Tivo DVR is connected wirelessly to my home internet router so I just push a transfer button or set the shows to auto transfer and they go right on to my pc. No discs or anything like that required.

I've had it a couple of years but I think the tivo unit was around $225 but you can get it cheaper now that it has been out a couple of years. I think they have some on amazon for like $80 used. They charge like $12 per month for the tivo service.

This is the unit..
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD652160-Di ... B000RZDBM2

This is the wireless adapter to tap into your home wifi if u have a router...
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-AG0100-Wirel ... B000ER5G6C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:15 am 
Board Owner

I know what you mean. I have been recording my DVR to my DVD through a Line 1 input into the DVD recorder. I can't think of the exact hookups off the top of my head. I'll have to check my set up to tell you how to hook yourself up. :Kool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:05 pm 
WWoW Artist

Thanks I tried everything including try to take the out of the DVR into a DVD recorder and got nothing. I will check out the unit you suggested in earlier in the post

dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:05 am 
WWoW Artist

Tried 3 others units and NOTHING will record from Comcast DVR or Comcast direct signal. My last hope is the TIVO unit you suggested with a Comcast Cable Card.

dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:33 am 
Administrator

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1333768

Another option would be to use your PC as a DVR and record from the component video out,
Unless there is some copy protection on the component Video out.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/ ... ossus.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:43 pm 
WWoW Artist

Thanks for the help. I was able to resolve the issue in this way..... Got the Scientific Atlanta box from Comcast that has a DVR in it. I have to be recording to the DVR or the program has to be on the DVR won't work synch audio and video if I play straight through. Connect 3 RCA cable (Left and right audio and RCA Video) to my VHS to DVD software box that came with that software. Connect the USB cable to my laptop and using VHS to DVD record that way. VERY IMPORTANT - audio is super quiet coming out of the DVR and I have found on testing I have to have audio at 100% in order to get a usable audio signal that I can hear on playback.

But when I tried to connect a DVD burner in the same way and record from the DVR comcast supplied I get either copy protected message or if it records the audio and video are way out of synch.

Hope this helps some one else.

dave