Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: How SOPA and PIPA Legislation Could Affect WWoW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:55 pm 
Board Owner

scitek wrote:
malone42 wrote:
I suspect that SOPA and PIPA are just being put on the back burner until they (congress) can tack it on to some larger bill when no one is looking. Or they are going to wait until the election is over and then pass it in a lame duck session. There is too much big $$ from the entertainment industry that want this and too many people in DC that want it also to control the internet.
And we can not depend upon the mainstream media to report on SOPA and PIPA coming back. All of the networks and news channels are owned by entertainment giants that want this legislation.

That is so true. Shame.

That may be true but Google and Facebook can rattle a few sabers instantly if that happens since they are independent of any company that has a vested interest in Hollywood and have a lot of dedicated followers. Mega dollars at their disposal doesn't hurt either. :Kool

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:06 am 
Bronze Member

Thanks Rocky for the info.. I have only been half listening to the news and glad you were able to present the issue...It would be a shame to lose WWOW not just because of the caps but this place has been fun from the people stand point..Lot of good people here...I'll be contacting my Reps.. :Tantrum :evil: :Bang :censor :Doh :Whip :Boxing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:27 am 
Bronze Member

Let the wolfman educate you boys. So just sit there and ruminate whilst I very quickly illuminate.
Understand this if you understand nothing else..this is not strictly about Piracy, though it is a very small part of it.
What this is about is control. What do I mean?
The RIAA and the Record companies used to have complete control over what was released, where, when and how. With the advent of the internet, broadband, wireless, peer to peer networks, and being able to buy content on line and download it straight to your computer, or through P2P sites get it for free; this is no longer the case. Even the wolfman used to use P2P sites like Kazaa, Limewire and others. Why? To find new artists to see if I like what they're doing. To find copies of very OLD music or really odd music that they don't sell anywhere else, at least not on CD where I can update my collection and have it again. I didn't P2P to pirate music...I used it as a browser. The stuff I downloaded either got kept, admittedly and the bands names added to a very long list of "Buy as you can to add to your collection" list or they eventually got deleted. I stopped using them too many blasted viruses, rootkits and other malware. I digress so back to my point...with all that...the record companies lost a good deal of control, plus for those with the techno know how or just the willpower and the willingness to spend their own cash to succeed, can buy their own studio time, or simply do it on the home computer now..and self publish...without having to go to a record label. The labels like this not at all...see it's time for the dinosaur to die and they aren't going quietly. Frankly I think we need to try a little hard and be a little more diligent in making them die because they are supremely pissing me off.

The Big Book Publishers have the same problem...they're jumping on the Ebook bandwagon to a certain extent but they are charging full price or more for books that should only be about $5-$8 bucks in e pub formats. Plus just like with the albums there are many many people self publishing and selling and completely by passing the big boys. Again...they don't like it I'm friends with a couple authors that started their own Epub company...one of them has written at least a dozen novels for those same big boys and they treat her like manure. Lie to her, tell her that they aren't selling when in fact they are. I've actually just recently scared her editor shitless...by sending several very pointed emails to the CEO of the company., got some of my fellow fans involved and now...at least for the newest novel the editor has stopped screwing around and it's FINALLY going to be published more than a year late. Why a year late? BEcause the conniving, incompetent twit has had the manuscript for over a year. Anyway the ladies books do sell...just not in the obscenely huge numbers garnered by a 'mainstream popular' author...but she's does sell. What people who don't work in the publishing industry or haven't worked in the retail side of the book industry fail to realize is this...if you find a new author that all the sudden disappears it's for one of two reasons...one it truly didn't sell that well or sold but not as much as the publisher would have liked because they did not TELL the chain stores to PUSH the author and the book! Word of mouth is just as important a way to sell books as paid advertising. If neither is there.....*shrug* Now you don't necessarily have to have that...because you can self publish and release it on places like amazon and others for a small nominal fee and if the material is good enough...make a go of it as a living

Last and most important to our government...is control of the flow of information. See up til the advent cable, 24hr news channels and popular distribution of small powerful home computers and the modern internet...the government 'could' with the connivance of the major media outlets..control the flow of info. They could request blackouts on certain things and the press could do it. There's news out there today that you STILL wouldn't have heard about if it wasn't for independent freelance writers, bloggers and internet media outlets. The recent Gunwalker Scandal is one of those stories that likely would have never seen the light of day if it weren't for bloggers and internet media sites. The government 'thinks' through this kind of legislation they can control the net, and to an extent they're right...but people will find a way around it.

So the next time some one tells you that all this is about copyright infringement, etc etc...I want you to remember these three words from yoda.. "control, control, control." because on multiple levels...that is what the endgame of this is all about.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:36 am 
Bronze Member

thevuman wrote:
SOPA is over now :)

Unh Unh...

Vuman...watch. it's just temporarily shelved, lulling people into a false sense of security thinking they've won. Then...while no one is paying attention it'll get added as an addendum to a budget bill or some huge 'Omnibus Bill' and passed while people are bickering about the size of the budgetary bill itself or what's going to be spent where. It's happened before...and repeatedly over the last 3yrs.
It's one of the oldest cons in the book. Distract people with one hand and wow and distract them with the right hand, so they don't notice you're left hand lifting their wallets.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:54 am 
WWoW Artist

malone42 wrote:
I suspect that SOPA and PIPA are just being put on the back burner until they (congress) can tack it on to some larger bill when no one is looking. Or they are going to wait until the election is over and then pass it in a lame duck session. There is too much big $$ from the entertainment industry that want this and too many people in DC that want it also to control the internet.
And we can not depend upon the mainstream media to report on SOPA and PIPA coming back. All of the networks and news channels are owned by entertainment giants that want this legislation.

Sadly, true for the most part. Bloomberg; PBS and NPR would be some notable exceptions.

Bloomberg, for one, has been covering these topics fairly extensively over the last month, on live TV (free online) and in "printed" online news and opinion:

SOPA on Bloomberg
Megaupload on Bloomberg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:27 pm 
Board Owner

thewolfman wrote:
Let the wolfman educate you boys. So just sit there and ruminate whilst I very quickly illuminate.
Understand this if you understand nothing else..this is not strictly about Piracy, though it is a very small part of it.
What this is about is control. What do I mean?
The RIAA and the Record companies used to have complete control over what was released, where, when and how. With the advent of the internet, broadband, wireless, peer to peer networks, and being able to buy content on line and download it straight to your computer, or through P2P sites get it for free; this is no longer the case. Even the wolfman used to use P2P sites like Kazaa, Limewire and others. Why? To find new artists to see if I like what they're doing. To find copies of very OLD music or really odd music that they don't sell anywhere else, at least not on CD where I can update my collection and have it again. I didn't P2P to pirate music...I used it as a browser. The stuff I downloaded either got kept, admittedly and the bands names added to a very long list of "Buy as you can to add to your collection" list or they eventually got deleted. I stopped using them too many blasted viruses, rootkits and other malware. I digress so back to my point...with all that...the record companies lost a good deal of control, plus for those with the techno know how or just the willpower and the willingness to spend their own cash to succeed, can buy their own studio time, or simply do it on the home computer now..and self publish...without having to go to a record label. The labels like this not at all...see it's time for the dinosaur to die and they aren't going quietly. Frankly I think we need to try a little hard and be a little more diligent in making them die because they are supremely pissing me off.

The Big Book Publishers have the same problem...they're jumping on the Ebook bandwagon to a certain extent but they are charging full price or more for books that should only be about $5-$8 bucks in e pub formats. Plus just like with the albums there are many many people self publishing and selling and completely by passing the big boys. Again...they don't like it I'm friends with a couple authors that started their own Epub company...one of them has written at least a dozen novels for those same big boys and they treat her like manure. Lie to her, tell her that they aren't selling when in fact they are. I've actually just recently scared her editor shitless...by sending several very pointed emails to the CEO of the company., got some of my fellow fans involved and now...at least for the newest novel the editor has stopped screwing around and it's FINALLY going to be published more than a year late. Why a year late? BEcause the conniving, incompetent twit has had the manuscript for over a year. Anyway the ladies books do sell...just not in the obscenely huge numbers garnered by a 'mainstream popular' author...but she's does sell. What people who don't work in the publishing industry or haven't worked in the retail side of the book industry fail to realize is this...if you find a new author that all the sudden disappears it's for one of two reasons...one it truly didn't sell that well or sold but not as much as the publisher would have liked because they did not TELL the chain stores to PUSH the author and the book! Word of mouth is just as important a way to sell books as paid advertising. If neither is there.....*shrug* Now you don't necessarily have to have that...because you can self publish and release it on places like amazon and others for a small nominal fee and if the material is good enough...make a go of it as a living

Last and most important to our government...is control of the flow of information. See up til the advent cable, 24hr news channels and popular distribution of small powerful home computers and the modern internet...the government 'could' with the connivance of the major media outlets..control the flow of info. They could request blackouts on certain things and the press could do it. There's news out there today that you STILL wouldn't have heard about if it wasn't for independent freelance writers, bloggers and internet media outlets. The recent Gunwalker Scandal is one of those stories that likely would have never seen the light of day if it weren't for bloggers and internet media sites. The government 'thinks' through this kind of legislation they can control the net, and to an extent they're right...but people will find a way around it.

So the next time some one tells you that all this is about copyright infringement, etc etc...I want you to remember these three words from yoda.. "control, control, control." because on multiple levels...that is what the endgame of this is all about.

thewolfman... Can't argue one cent against you with this post!!!! I never thought about books being involved here as well. The world is changing with not only the internet but with technology in general. RIP Eastman-Kodak unless you raise enough cash from your patents.

This also proves why Congress is too slow at times with technology. They just don't have the folk on staff to understand and thus hear what the K street folks say "is right".

Please keep contacting your Representatives and Senators on this issue! The more they hear the more they will think (hopefully).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:47 am 
Jedi Disciple

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Count ... _Agreement

And here is the International version of SOPA and PIPA...this will be a LOT harder to prevent! not out of the woods yet, friends :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:45 am 
Gold Member

Let's see if I have this right:

This law prevents me from getting songs that I want to listen to (as opposed to what the music industry wants me to listen to via CDs)
I have never sang any of these songs or claimed they were mine (ya see that person with meat on their head arriving in a remote controlled plastic egg? That's not me...) and yet I am being hit with a copyright infringement lawsuit?

This is nothing more than greed on the parts of companies wanting more money for less work. It's not bad enough they get MILLIONS for what they do (and that's just for 1 movie/CD) and they honestly think that they will miss $75,000 by people not getting their songs or films the "legal" way?

I have lived off of way less than millions of dollars and so can they.
The reason the public won't win is not because of sensibility but because of media high-priced lawyers versus public lawyer Joe Schmo. I'm pretty sure the judge would know the public is right but he can't get past all those dollar signs.

I should say that it is totally illegal to get a song or film and pass it off as yours or alter it in any way. But if the average person doesn't do that there should not be a problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 am 
WWoW Artist

WWOW could also loose google ads as well. I just received this email from google.
Hello,

During a recent review of your account we found that you are currently
displaying Google ads in a manner that is not compliant with our program
policies
(https://www.google.com/support/adsense/ ... spe-1pp-en).

--------------------------------------------------
EXAMPLE PAGE: http://tvshowgirls.blogspot.com/

Please note that this URL is an example and that the same violations may
exist on other pages of this website or other sites in your network.

VIOLATION(S) FOUND:

COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL: As stated in our program policies, AdSense
publishers are not permitted to place Google ads on sites involved in the
distribution of copyrighted materials. This includes hosting copyrighted
files on your site, as well as providing links for or driving traffic to
sites that contain copyrighted material. More information about this
policy can be found in our help center (
http://www.google.com/adsense/support/a ... wer=105956
).

REQUESTED ACTION: Please make all necessary changes in the next 72 hours.

If the violations are corrected within the aforementioned time period, ad
serving will not be affected. If changes are not made and/or other policy
violations are encountered during the review process, ad serving will be
disabled to your site.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The links were to the clips I make and share on this forum like other members on here do.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:03 am 
WWoW Artist

and too top it all off Comcast Cable has set up their signal now so you can not record shows to anything but their own DVR and when you try to record off the DVR to a DVD burner or VHS its a scrambled signal and you get nothing usable. They told me people were selling their signal and selling shows from their feed on ebay, so they got with the FCC and the FCC allowed to alter their signal for these reasons........ so they changed the way their signal feeds into homes.

This really sinks....... I used to save news footage to DVD (being in the photojouralism field) and now I can't do that........ let along tape and save QVC, HSN etc

dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:09 am 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

davetv13 wrote:
and too top it all off Comcast Cable has set up their signal now so you can not record shows to anything but their own DVR and when you try to record off the DVR to a DVD burner or VHS its a scrambled signal and you get nothing usable. They told me people were selling their signal and selling shows from their feed on ebay, so they got with the FCC and the FCC allowed to alter their signal for these reasons........ so they changed the way their signal feeds into homes.

This really sinks....... I used to save news footage to DVD (being in the photojouralism field) and now I can't do that........ let along tape and save QVC, HSN etc

dave

I use a recorder and Comcast but I don't have a problem. It's only on certain channels that have sports or new movies that they say "Can't record copyrighted material". This really stinks though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:29 am 
Bronze Member

DaveD wrote:
I should say that it is totally illegal to get a song or film and pass it off as yours or alter it in any way. But if the average person doesn't do that there should not be a problem.

totally illegal is a big word DaveD ;)

DaveD wrote:
The reason the public won't win is not because of sensibility but because of media high-priced lawyers versus public lawyer Joe Schmo. I'm pretty sure the judge would know the public is right but he can't get past all those dollar signs.

sad but true

DenisMa wrote:
I use a recorder and Comcast but I don't have a problem. It's only on certain channels that have sports or new movies that they say "Can't record copyrighted material". This really stinks though.

soon the "certain channels" will be "all channels' i'm afraid :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:12 am 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

Hmm. That's not good then.