Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some Problems
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 pm 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

Okay. I had that "Windows Restore" virus the other day. I'm trying to get everything back in order with scanning and so on. It appears that I didn't lose anything if the capacity is anything to go by. I have two usernames. One is completely normal but the other one is missing everything on its desktop. Yet, the capacity on the hard drive is right where it should be. So where are our my files?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Some Problems
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 pm 
WWoW regular

Have you checked in your "program files" or "documents and settings" folder? It could be that only the shortcuts got deleted. Try to use the search for several of the programs/files. If the disk space used didn't decrease, I would take that as a good sign though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:03 pm 

I went to "show hidden files" and it all appeared. Went to "view" and everything and they reappeared. Webroot is a good program. I wonder if others have it. I'm not too well-versed with these things but that helped out. Only problem now is that the files on the desktop are a bit dark. Don't know why that is. Well, not dark. Just a bit shaded. I mean the icons and so on.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 pm 

Okay. Figured out the darkness issue. I guess the files are still hidden. But I went to "Folder options" and I clicked on "Show hidden files and folders" and they are still a bit dark. Also the folders say "Empty" but they are not. I went to them and you can see files. Hmm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:46 pm 
Administrator

Check your folder sharing options. Maybe some folders aren't accessible with specific users.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:30 pm 

Well, to take care of the hidden thing, I went to properties and just unchecked the hidden button for the files and folders. But still for those folders on the desktop, it says "empty" even though you can see stuff inside of them. No, wait. Scratch that. It doesn't say "empty" anymore. I guess that's a subterfuge to stop other users from going into the "hidden" folders. I also had a problem with the program files list being hidden as well. In fact, one of my games didn't work and so I uninstalled it. Maybe it didn't work because the files for it were "hidden"?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:00 pm 

Well, all of these problems are taken care of but I've had this other problem for a couple of weeks now; I don't have any new items in my history folder. I said to keep it up for 365 days so it's not that. The file size is listed at 250 mbs, There does not appear to be a Temporary Internet files folder though. Well, actually, when I got to the folder options, I can see it but if I try to go to it via all of the folders in WE, it doesn't appear. Hmm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:51 am 

Still can't figure out what is wrong with the history folder. I would like to see my items in it. I deleted the temp items though. Had to redo passwords and so on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:18 am 

Still having a problem with the history folder. Odd thing is that it's only a problem with one of my two usernames... :? Could it be something under "Advanced" in the Internet Options area? I know I was messing with stuff in there when I had a virus. I wonder if this problem is due to my renewing my Webroot antivirus program. It's been happening roughly the same time that I renewed it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:50 pm 
WWoW regular

First I recommend you edit your host file, look here for more information on that and an AWESOME host file to use.

Then I would suggest an antivirus, I use AVG

An anti malware program as well.

Avoid the use of tinyURLs

Uninstall all the manure on your computer you don't need. That means uninstall that stupid fornicating yahoo or ask jeeves toolbar in your browser, and if you have more manure installed than just that :oops:

Keep your caches cleaned and registry in order, try ccleaner for that, this program has a lot of utilities in it.

that's it for now may add more later.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm 

Okay. I'm going to go back and try out this Ccleaner thing. Now it won't delete my history folder nor my favorites folders, right? I don't want to do that. O, it says "It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history." That's not good thing. I use Webroot antivirus with a spy sweeper as well. It's pretty good. Okay. I changed the "hosts" thing. Replaced it in my system 32 folder. Nothing happened though. Still have nothing in my history. I deleted my cookies and my temporary files as well.