Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternate internet browsers
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:46 am 
Administrator

I'm having a real problem with Internet Explorer. I'm new to this computer, but have used IE for many years at work. My modem is new, and every time i access the internet, i have either a delay, or the window just freezes. So, i had read about Mozilla's Firefox browser and thought about downloading it. I read up on it, looked at some screen shots, and from what I've seen it looks a lot better than IE.
My question you y'all is if anyone uses it, knows someone who uses it and what feedback you've gotten on Firefox. I'm quite tired of IE's bugs. Tired of a webpage not responding every time i open a window. It froze on my twice while writing this email. I do regular spyware and virus scans, and all those programs are up to date. So i'm looking for feedback from anyone. Thanks.
:notworking

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 10:39 am 
Jedi Knight

I don't use it myself but I hear it's great, and from the short time that I used it, it was ok.

Gretchen Carlson's #1 Fan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:11 pm 
Bronze Member

I use Firefox. I like it.

Post subject: Re: Alternate internet browsers
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:12 pm 
Silver Member

flaming_cowpie wrote:
I'm having a real problem with Internet Explorer. I'm new to this computer, but have used IE for many years at work. My modem is new, and every time i access the internet, i have either a delay, or the window just freezes. So, i had read about Mozilla's Firefox browser and thought about downloading it. I read up on it, looked at some screen shots, and from what I've seen it looks a lot better than IE.
My question you y'all is if anyone uses it, knows someone who uses it and what feedback you've gotten on Firefox. I'm quite tired of IE's bugs. Tired of a webpage not responding every time i open a window. It froze on my twice while writing this email. I do regular spyware and virus scans, and all those programs are up to date. So i'm looking for feedback from anyone. Thanks.
:notworking

Freezing up could be a number of problems that can't all be faulted to IE. Do you have the latest version of Windows Service Pack 2, most people should have it by now. My IE seems to work better than it ever had before since I updated it a while back. You can check by clicking on IE "Help" "About IE" and then look at the box for Update Versions, "SP2".

As far as Firefox, I have it but I find some of the features on it are a little bothersome. I wish it had some of the simple features similar to IE like the side toolbar to look for bookmarks and my yahoo e-mail doesn't work well with Firefox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:52 am 
Administrator

I have noticed some of those same things with Firefox. I downloaded it, and used it for a while. For the most part it's worked fine. One big problem was that once i made it my default browser, I had trouble accessing my remote mail from work. Another thing was that after i reinstalled or restored IE as my default browser, then things started to crash. My music folder which totalled 12GB, somehow "lost" every file/folder from A-E. That.. was a little annoying.
I'm running windows XP on this comp, but I'll see about getting that new service pack you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion.