Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sig Pic Sizes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 am 
I've posted THIS MUCH????!!

When and why did someone opt to change how big these can be? A maximum of 300 is less than probably half of them on here right now and Imageshack doesnt even offer anything less than 320 so maybe we can relax that to that size anyway????? The rules I read even allow gifs to be bigger than that and only the thumbnails have a requirement. Ok, enough, feedback??? PM me if you dont want to make this a long discussion.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sig Pic Sizes
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:19 pm 

I'll try to clear this up for you...

As far as I've known, the sig pic dimension limit has always been 500x300 pixels. That is, it can't be longer than 500px and no taller than 300px. Maybe Rocky can clarify that, but I've never known anything different. If anything, the height was probably smaller at one time and increased to 300. You've been here basically as long as I have...Nothing has changed recently.

The rules say sigs must also be horizontal - longer in length than height. The way you have the pics in your sig right now isn't correct. Multiple pics like that should be side-by-side, not on top of one another.

I'm not sure why you think GIFs can be bigger...The dimension size is the same for all. The extra rule regarding GIF animations (whether it's an avatar, sig line, or posted as a pic in a thread) cannot be more than 500 kilobytes in file size.

I know there are probably a few sigs/avatars that are over the limits in the rules here, and they will be notified of it.

As far as imageshack is concerned, I'm not sure I understand the problem you're having. My sig is 500x150 in dimension, and I was able to upload it to imageshack without a problem.

Hope that helps. If there are any questions, from yourself or any member reading this, post it here, and we'll do our best to answer them. :Kool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:40 pm 

Many thanks for the GOOD clarification. :Thumb Its the Width & Height that make the difference. On Imageshack, their offering 320 X 240 for websites and I have used that option a lot. Its just within the last week, it no longer accepts it. As to mine being stacked, well will try that again but it wouldnt let me make the addition of the 2nd one next to the line the 1st one ended on. :? I got the sizes I mentioned for thumbnails and gifs from the rules posting done by Yoda I believe. Oh well, live & learn. May follow up on this when I try it again to get it right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:16 pm 
WWoW Founder

Your sig line images were stacked one on top of other thus meaning people have to scroll down alot to read the next post. But we didnt single you out. Its been a posted rule for quite awhile.

Sorry if the settings change caused any problems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:19 pm 

Pool wrote:
Your sig line images were stacked one on top of other thus meaning people have to scroll down alot to read the next post.

Sorry if the settings change caused any problems.

Got the pics in line finally. Now to figure out which link on Imageshack lets me post them a bit larger and stay within limits. :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:22 pm 
WWoW Artist

I don't know about the sizes but your sigs are always great. ;) :shades

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:44 pm 

joeycap666 wrote:

Then I guess size doesnt matter. :cry: :jetserl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:06 pm 
WWoW Artist

fordloco wrote:
joeycap666 wrote:

:jetserl

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:51 pm 
Board Owner

impala101 wrote:
I'll try to clear this up for you...

As far as I've known, the sig pic dimension limit has always been 500x300 pixels. That is, it can't be longer than 500px and no taller than 300px. Maybe Rocky can clarify that, but I've never known anything different. If anything, the height was probably smaller at one time and increased to 300. You've been here basically as long as I have...Nothing has changed recently.

The rules say sigs must also be horizontal - longer in length than height. The way you have the pics in your sig right now isn't correct. Multiple pics like that should be side-by-side, not on top of one another.

To clarify Impala's statement further, our rule has always been 500x300 but since we were seeing several violations of the rule, we turned on a feature which forces the sig line pics to be 500x300 for everyone. It was easier to do this than ask every violator to fix their pic. Yours was more pronounced since you had two large pics stacked ontop of one another. I hope this helps further. :Kool

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:27 pm 
WWoW Founder

fordloco wrote:

Sexually??? :P

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:23 pm 

Pool wrote:
fordloco wrote:

Sexually??? :P

perv :P :lol:

Ok, now I understand what the problem you were having with imageshack was...You're resizing the pics through imageshack when you upload them. I forgot you could even do that; mine is defaulted to upload the original size.

Typically when making a sig line/avatar, one would use an image editing program to actually make a pic, size it to the dimensions desired (as allowed), then upload that image to imageshack, changing the upload option to "do not resize." From there, you use the "direct link" image code in your profile. That way, it will display however you originally made it. For example, this is an old sig I had, making one pic out of 4 different ones:

The image editing program I use and would recommend is called paint.net. It's free, fairly easy to use, and can do a lot of different things. Let the creative juices flow! :lol:
http://www.getpaint.net/

If you don't feel up to doing it yourself, send me the links of the pics you want to use, and I'll put one together for ya.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:14 pm 

Rocky/Impala, TYVM. Between the 2 of you, you deciphered my ramblings and came up with the answers. Will keep any future sig pics side by side and use the "do not resize" option on Imageshack. Live and learn they say. I got paint.net and am going to play with it before making a mess of something. Nice to have friends in high places they say. :shades