Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: World Series: Dodgers vs Astros
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:59 am 
Silver Member

Last year's Fall Classic pitted the two longest championship droughts against each other. This year, it's first in a while vs potential first ever, as the Los Angeles Dodgers will face the Houston Astros, in a battle between two teams who were in the same league until 2013.

The Dodgers are in their 22nd World Series, but their overall record is not a good one, as they have only won six of their previous 21 appearances. This is mainly due to their decades spent being nicknamed the "Bums," as the old Brooklyn Dodgers had problems winning the World Series until finally doing so in 1955. After moving to LA in 1958, the Dodgers won five more championships, but none since 1988. Regarding this year, the Dodgers won their fifth straight NL West crown, and looked to make up for losing the NLCS to the Cubs. Winning 104 games, the Dodgers swept the Diamondbacks in the NLCS, and defeated the defending champion Cubs in only five games in the NLCS.

The Astros, in their entire 56 year existence, are only in their second World Series. They had close calls getting to the Fall Classic in 1969 and 1986, but they wouldn't win a pennant until 2005. Houston was swept in that year's World Series by the White Sox, and after 51 seasons in the National League, the Astros were moved to the American League beginning with the 2013 season. They reached the postseason as a Wild Card in 2015, but while they were ousted in the ALDS by the eventual champion Royals, it was the beginning of their rise to becoming a powerhouse. The Astros set a plan to be ready to win by 2017, and this season saw them win 101 games and run away with the AL West. They defeated the Red Sox in four games in the ALDS, and won a seven game ALCS over the Yankees, becoming the first team to win both league pennants.

I see this Series going the max; both teams are strong--with powerful lineups and stellar pitching. While the Astros are amazingly talented, I think the Dodgers are the team of destiny this year, and they'll win their first Series in 29 years.

Prediction: Dodgers in seven

Signature Credit: Divas-Heaven.com

Last edited by Number One on Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: World Series: Dodgers vs Astros
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:17 am 
Jedi Knight

I'm with you on the prediction.

My only question is whether the Dodgers win in 6 or 7 games.

I like the Astros and although it would be great for their fans ( and the whole Houston area given what they went through this year) to get a WS win, I agree with you that the Dodgers are too strong at the plate and on the mound.

I think they will play each other close and I don't think we will see any " blow out" games.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:57 pm 
WWoW Artist

The key thing to watch is how will Houston's bats go up against that stellar Dodgers bullpen, especially their setup men. Same thing that I said during the NLCS--if Houston get their big bats going early against the likes of Rich Hill, Yu Darvish, Alex Wood, and especially Clayton Kershaw, they might have a chance.

But with the Dodgers having home field and that extremely loud crowd thanks to having that one in house D.J., Los Angeles is on a mission similar to what the Chicago Cubs did in 2016. And that mission is perfectly clear--win the World Series.

For Houston to emerge as the champs, they would have to gain at least a split in the first two games. Then, they can fuel off their crowd with the roof closed at Minute Maid Park and then we will see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:44 pm 
Administrator

I can easily see this series going the distance. You can easily see who my pick will be to win. This will be a hard fought series, and I agree that Houston will need to win one of the first two on the road if they want to get the edge. This should be entertaining.

If nothing else, we'll hopefully get gratuitous shots of Kate Upton during the series. :P

Robin Meade Video Dump - Updated 4/21/23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:02 am 
Silver Member

Astros all the way. Dodgers Suck :Thumb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 pm 
Silver Member

Dodgers 3, Astros 1

On a HOT day in LA (103 degrees at first pitch), Taylor and Turner homer, and Kershaw is lights out to lead the Dodgers to victory in Game One.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:44 pm 
WWoW Artist

Even with the Bregman home run that tied the game in the top half of the fourth, Kershaw was on his game yet again. 11 strikeouts and no walks--only Hall of Famer Bob Gibson of St. Louis in Game 1 way back in 1968 had more with the record 17 K's against Detroit at the first Busch Stadium.

But once again, it was the NLCS giant killers of Chris Taylor (first pitch off former A.L. Cy Young winner Dallas Keuchel) and Justin Turner (with Taylor on in the sixth) turning the trick for the Dodgers as they get the upper hand in taking the 1-0 Series lead.

A bit of trivia--this was the shortest World Series game by time (2 hours, 32 minutes) since Game 4 of the 1992 World Series when it featured Toronto and Atlanta.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:58 pm 
Jedi Knight

I couldn't believe how fast that game was.

It will be interesting to see how the Dodgers do vs. Verlander.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:37 am 
Silver Member

Astros 7, Dodgers 6 (11)

Over four hours, eight HRs, and many late heroics; when all is said and done, the Astros win their first World Series game in franchise history.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:43 am 
WWoW Artist

Eight total home runs, that is a new World Series record for most combined homers in a single game.

At times, it almost felt like Game 6 of both the 1975 and 1986 World Series:
Houston chips away in the 8th to pull within a run, then tie it up off of Kenley Jansen of all people in the 9th. The Astros then suddenly grabbed a 2 run lead in the top half of the 10th, first with Yasiel Puig's second postseason home run and some very gusty base running by Logan Forsythe tied the game.

When the 11th started, enter Cameron Maybin and George Springer--they both came in to play center and right field respectively in the bottom of the 10th.

Maybin singled and stole second before Springer homered. But Charlie Culberson had other ideas in the Dodgers half of the 11th--nailing a dinger of his own. But Yasiel Puig finally missed on a pitch a good country mile outside the strike zone and 12 years to the day when Houston lost the longest game by time to the Chicago White Sox in 14 innings (which that game ended well past 1:30 a.m. Central time), the Astros win their first World Series game in six attempts.

Houston has home field advantage. Question going forward is, how much will that crowd help the Astros after a very wild and grueling 4 hours and 18 minutes of play--in front of scores of celebs from the likes of Peyton Manning, Jessica Biel, Pat Sajak, and of course, Justin Verlander's girlfriend Kate Upton.

Last edited by bigzman on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 am 
Bronze Member

And of course, Mary Hart & Larry King behind the plate.

Ridiculous game.
Thought Roberts hurt LA by overmanaging.
Hill didn’t need to come out after 4 innings.
Nor did Stripling after 1 batter.

But Vin Scully’s 1st pitch was awesome.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:01 am 
Administrator

I caught what I could since I was at work -- even though I'm not supposed to use my phone while on the clock -- and boy, what a finish. They find a hole in Jansen's armor, then comeback after comeback... man, that game was entertaining. More so since the Astros won, but that was one for the ages. Now it's a best of five with three straight in Houston. Unfortunately this means (for now) no more peeks at Mary Hart's cleavage when she leans in on her seat. :( :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:26 am 
Jedi Knight

Fell asleep here on the east coast before the game ended.

How about the Astros battling back? Anyone's game. 2 well matched teams.

It seems like home runs were easier to get than base hits in that game.

Looking forward to game 3 tomorrow night.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:09 am 
Silver Member

Astros 5, Dodgers 3

The Astros' home dominance in this year's postseason continues; they remain unbeaten with a win in Game Three and take their first World Series lead in franchise history.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:52 am 
WWoW Artist

Yu Darvish simply didn't have it going on Friday night.
During that four run second inning, every batter Houston brought to the plate hit the ball extremely hard.

The question now is...will it be enough to sustain with the Astros holding a 2-1 Series lead? Their crowd certainly is thinking happy things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:30 am 
Administrator

If Tal's Hill was still in place, I'm positive that George Springer would've driven in at least three because the center fielder would've tripped over it. Not that Houston needed it, though. Home cooking certainly has Astros fans feeling confident.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:28 pm 
Silver Member

Dodgers 6, Astros 2

Dodgers even Series behind a five-run ninth inning which was capped off by a Joc Pedersen three run HR. Astros lose at home for the first time this postseason.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:30 pm 
WWoW Artist

What a game, and yes--this Series is going back to L.A. on Halloween night. Lots of treats for the fans, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:23 am 
Administrator

Ugh. :evil:

Then again, it's a best of three now. Time for managers to micro-manage and take advantage of matchups and use advanced algorithms to... no, wait, they were doing that since Game 1.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:40 am 
Silver Member

Astros 13, Dodgers 12 (10)

Astros win the second longest World Series game in history, and are one win away from their first championship.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next