Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lynn Smith left CNN/HLN
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:04 am 
Silver Member

She announced on her Instagram that she's leaving HLN and doing her own thing including a podcast. Good luck to her.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Lynn Smith left CNN/HLN
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:21 pm 
WWoW Artist

Almost similar to what happened with Brooke Baldwin.
We will make sure to listen in :D .

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:52 pm 
Silver Member

bigzman wrote:
Almost similar to what happened with Brooke Baldwin.
We will make sure to listen in :D .

Somewhat though Lynn lost her show permanently because of Covid and Robin and Susan was the only games in town (unless you count those crime shows) unless they needed subs. Plus, she's not the only to go the podcast/internet route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:08 am 
Bronze Member

Not surprising, how many fill-in hosts does one show really need?
But please, spare me the idea that she “left.”
More likely, her contract was up and not renewed.
And a podcast is what you do when no one will hire you to be on TV anymore.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:53 pm 
Silver Member

hanley wrote:
Not surprising, how many fill-in hosts does one show really need?
But please, spare me the idea that she “left.”
More likely, her contract was up and not renewed.
And a podcast is what you do when no one will hire you to be on TV anymore.

She did leave, regardless if it was her call or theirs (the boss). There's no "left", she left. The last part that no one wants to her hire seems harsh though her options seemed limited unless she moved back to New York (which seems highly unlikely having two young kids). I'm sure if she wanted to she could have got to the local stations. WSB has a couple of former HLN anchors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:05 pm 
Bronze Member

OK, she left….. (right after they told her they didn’t want her anymore)

This isn’t meant to be critical, she seems pretty good on air, I’m just tired of every anchor who loses their job insisting it was “their decision.”
Usually it wasn’t.
And to me, there’s no shame in admitting “I liked the job and would’ve liked to continue but they had other plans.”

If someone else offers her a six-figure TV job, we will see how fast she ditches the podcast.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:18 am 
Silver Member

hanley wrote:

This isn’t meant to be critical, she seems pretty good on air, I’m just tired of every anchor who loses their job insisting it was “their decision.”
Usually it wasn’t.
And to me, there’s no shame in admitting “I liked the job and would’ve liked to continue but they had other plans.”

If someone else offers her a six-figure TV job, we will see how fast she ditches the podcast.

I hate to say you might be right but you probably are especially if the talent gets two-year deals. Also, let's be honest. Lynn was probably the odd woman out because only Robin and Susan have shows and there was Lynn, Liz, and Shyann (don't count Christi really because she's on CNN weekends) and Lynn was making more than Liz and Shyann. Plus, Lynn became expandable because On the Record was removed and if that's true about the new Golf Channel, CNN Atlanta might be gone. Also, you think Paula Faris left on her terms or her bosses wanted her gone?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:56 am 
Bronze Member

newsguy wrote:
hanley wrote:

Usually it wasn’t.

I hate to say you might be right but you probably are especially if the talent gets two-year deals. Also, let's be honest. Lynn was probably the odd woman out because only Robin and Susan have shows and there was Lynn, Liz, and Shyann (don't count Christi really because she's on CNN weekends) and Lynn was making more than Liz and Shyann. Plus, Lynn became expandable because On the Record was removed and if that's true about the new Golf Channel, CNN Atlanta might be gone. Also, you think Paula Faris left on her terms or her bosses wanted her gone?

I have no idea what any of them make but if you are right and Lynn made more than the other two then that makes perfect sense.

I believe Faris’ bosses want her out—-she’s not as hot anymore (career-wise, not physically) as when they put her on the View, at least in their minds—-and the religious podcast is just a way to run out the clock on her contract.
If they give her a new and bigger deal to stay then I will be proven wrong.

Hadn’t heard about the new golf channel, what’s that story?

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:22 pm 
WWoW Artist

There wasn't much opportunity at HLN. Shows died off that were about news, court, entertainment or business related then Robin became the only thing left and her show on weekends currently hosted by Susan Hendricks. Lynn was taken off weekends to replace Erica Hill on an HLN show but that ended. As for CNN they have other issues. Brooke Baldwin just left. Schedule and hosts changed.