Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kelsey Wingert let go by the Braves/Fox Sports South
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:14 pm 
Silver Member

Unsure if anyone is from Atlanta or the region where they get Fox Sports South but this seems to be a surprise to many people especially with the Spring Training Games set to start. I wonder what happened.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Kelsey Wingert let go by the Braves/Fox Sports South
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:16 pm 
Bronze Member

I'm a bit shellshocked she left the Braves and the network. I'm pretty sure she would join MLB Network as a frequent host on The Rundown and/or Quick Pitch in time for the upcoming baseball season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:29 pm 
Bronze Member

infamous04 wrote:
I'm a bit shellshocked she left the Braves and the network.

She didn’t leave.
They dumped her.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:29 pm 
Silver Member

I like to know why they let her go now and especially since I read somewhere that the decision to let her go was made in December. Recently, she did a fundraiser. Granted, there's no right time to let her go since she's covered NBA as well. Most of the regional Fox Sports talent covers multiple teams.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:25 am 
Bronze Member

apparently her contract was up in March and they didn't want to give her another one, so this is a logical time to do it.
even if they made the decision in DEC, they still had to pay thru March so why not have her keep working?

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:15 pm 
Bronze Member

According to Twitter, is that Kelly Crull will join the Braves on FOX Sports South as a dugout reporter. I would see Kelsey joining the MLB Network team where she could be a fill-in host of The Rundown and/or Quick Pitch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:46 pm 
Silver Member

infamous04 wrote:
According to Twitter, is that Kelly Crull will join the Braves on FOX Sports South as a dugout reporter. I would see Kelsey joining the MLB Network team where she could be a fill-in host of The Rundown and/or Quick Pitch.

I hope Kelsey does work for a national network. Also, surprised Kelly moved from Chicago (near her hometown) to Atlanta but I'm guessing she took a new job after getting passed over at the new Chicago TV station.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:05 am 
WWoW Artist

Many thousands of Cubs fans were also shocked when the Marquee Sports Network released their roster during the annual Cubs Convention in January, and Kelly was not on the list.

Instead, fans will have to get used to Taylor McGregor from Colorado (her father was the owner when the Rockies began as a National League franchise in 1993, but sadly died before he reached the age of 45.)

Also joining as a dugout reporter is Elise Menaker, who does reporting from the Chicago studio and does various on the field interviews for the Big Ten Network.

Both ladies have a huge following on social media, just like Kelly does.

At least, in Kelly's last Instagram post to Cubs fans she was very classy all the way--even showing her inside and outside of the Wrigley Field dugouts (all of her pics were in B&W, just FYI):

"CHICAGO, THANK YOU! I cannot begin to express how grateful I am for your love and loyalty the last 6 years. It was a dream come true for this Hoosier to become a sportscaster in the Windy City. Cubs Nation you welcomed me with open arms and quickly made Wrigley my home away from home. We grew together, we witnessed magnificent moments together & we shared one of the most magical World Championship journeys, TOGETHER. Those extraordinary experiences are what make my bond with this city and community so special. While this chapter of my career was transformative and will be forever cherished, the time has come to challenge myself in new ways. More hosting and warmer temps are on the horizon! It’s been an honor and a privilege being part of your Cubs coverage and sports broadcasts. I hope you continue to follow, watch and support me in my new role with FOX Sports South! This is not goodbye, but rather…I’ll see you soon. August, in fact, at the Friendly Confines!"

Bottom line--Chicago's loss is Atlanta's gain. Hope the loyal fans of the Braves have fun, but I agree with everyone in the Southeast.

Why would they let go with a reporter as popular as Kelsey--even with the team deciding in December that she would not longer be in the dugout at Truist Park? The really sad part was that Kelsey did not even know about this change.

I don't understand.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:34 am 
Silver Member

Kelly was robbed (and Lauren Magiera as well), she should had a spot there not Taylor (nothing against Taylor but why not hire a local person?). At least Elise was on the Big Ten Network. Also, Kelsey post on her Social Media her goodbyes and excited for the next step. I think it wasn't much as a surprise to her with posts and she posted some videos on her Youtube page which she didn't use for over three years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:11 am 
Silver Member

Saw the reaction on Twitter and the results are mixed from Braves fans (and that's probably putting it mildly). Cubs fans miss Kelly.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:10 pm 
Silver Member

Kelsey is back covering MLB for the Rockies.