Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Major layoffs coming to ESPN by June
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:03 pm 
Bronze Member

Are you saying that Sara Walsh should be back on SportsCenter and expected to be safe from layoffs? What about Lindsay Czarniak and Hannah Storm?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Are you kidding me ESPN?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:17 pm 
WWoW Member

infamous04 wrote:
Two of my faves leaving. Wow. Jade just signed a multi-year extension back in October. I assume she buyout the contract. Wishing them the best though. Should I start a petition soon?

She's always pregnant, I'm not surprised they got rid of her.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:17 pm 
Silver Member

Imma jus' leave this here:

On Monday, Dan LeBatard (Miami radio host and host of Highly Questionable on ESPN) hosted Caitlyn (nee' Bruce Jenner) on his radio show.

Two days later, ESPN lays off about 90~100 actual journalists.

Maybe if ESPN spent less time promoting a 65 y/o drag queen (and other SJW causes) and more time doing actual sports?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:45 pm 
WWoW Founder

My 2 cent analysis: Bad business plan. You want live sports so you got to pay rights to leagues to air games. As time goes on, those prices surely increase. I think it's hard to say we're going to do all live sports or all live talk shows.

The thing nobody has mentioned is cord cutters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:46 pm 
WWoW Artist

LongJohnScotty wrote:
Maybe if ESPN spent less time promoting a 65 y/o drag queen (and other SJW causes) and more time doing actual sports?

Riiiiight. Because one interview with a transgendered person (not a "drag queen") out of thousands that are about sports is the reason for ESPN needing to cut their staff. :TickTock :Doh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:51 pm 
WWoW Artist

infamous04 wrote:
Are you saying that Sara Walsh should be back on SportsCenter and expected to be safe from layoffs? What about Lindsay Czarniak and Hannah Storm?

I can't speak to to Lindsay but my gut tells me Sara will be back. As far as Hannah? Not even worth discussion. Hannah receives awards every other week for her contributions to women in sports. Hannah is as politically connected as a human can be. ESPN would crumble if they messed with her unjustly. Now with her production companies & charities she may chose to leave for some reason but Hannah has tenure and shouldn't even be included with the rest of the mere mortals facing layoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:08 pm 
WWoW Artist

11 p.m. update (and thankfully, the last one on this very sad day),

College football analyst Charles Arbuckle, along with recent baseball analysts Dallas Braden and Raul Ibanez join in a list of at least 52 reporters, analysts, and off-camera personnel to be laid off, of which that the Deadspin website has been keeping a running log all day.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:49 pm 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

LongJohnScotty wrote:

On Monday, Dan LeBatard (Miami radio host and host of Highly Questionable on ESPN) hosted Caitlyn (nee' Bruce Jenner) on his radio show.

You do realize Caitlyn was the gold medalist in the decathlon in the 1976 Olympics

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:51 pm 

Nick! wrote:
infamous04 wrote:

I can't speak to to Lindsay but my gut tells me Sara will be back. As far as Hannah? Not even worth discussion. Hannah receives awards every other week for her contributions to women in sports. Hannah is as politically connected as a human can be. ESPN would crumble if they messed with her unjustly. Now with her production companies & charities she may chose to leave for some reason but Hannah has tenure and shouldn't even be included with the rest of the mere mortals facing layoffs.

Hannah is among the anchors whose time will be severely reduced

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Are you kidding me ESPN?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 am 
Silver Member

infamous04 wrote:
Two of my faves leaving. Wow. Jade just signed a multi-year extension back in October. I assume she buyout the contract. Wishing them the best though. Should I start a petition soon?

Go for it especially if that :censor Sage Steele is still there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:18 am 
WWoW Artist

Nicole Briscoe mentioned during her "3 Stars of the Night" segment--Jaymee Sire, Jay Crawford ("I learned so much about sports from him", and Dr. Jerry Punch ("Being around him on and off the race track...taught me a lot about life"),

she mentioned that more layoffs are coming, but such news is private among the individuals affected and more news will be made public eventually.

Post subject: Are you kidding me ESPN?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:37 am 
Bronze Member

There's change.org and ipetitions.com. It's just that easy though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:52 am 
Silver Member

I spoke too soon with Jaymee and Jade going bye-bye. Also Ashley Fox was good looking as well (really as the draft is taking place at her stomping ground in Philly). Really firing Jade while she is pregnant? That's :censor up. I hope Sara Walsh can return. Also Hannah is getting a reduce role, I kind of call it because I thought ESPN would have wanted Ellie and Matt to have the 10 AM hour. I think Jaymee wasn't a surprise really though a surprise she left is soon since Sportscenter AM is still on (for now along with guys who might be gone as well). Sad part is not over.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:55 am 
Bronze Member

I see your point. I expect Sara expanding her role at SportsCenter by possibly taking Jaymee's place on SportsCenter AM. Lindsay Czarniak possibly be a main fill-in for Hannah if needed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:06 am 
Silver Member

bigzman wrote:
Nicole Briscoe mentioned during her "3 Stars of the Night" segment--Jaymee Sire, Jay Crawford ("I learned so much about sports from him", and Dr. Jerry Punch ("Being around him on and off the race track...taught me a lot about life"),

she mentioned that more layoffs are coming, but such news is private among the individuals affected and more news will be made public eventually.

Nice of her though I won't be surprised if she's next on the layoff as well as Lindsay (her husband is an anchor on MSNBC, I'm thinking wouldn't be surprised if she moved to NYC or if she's already there find a job closer than Bristol CT.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:40 am 
WWoW regular

LongJohnScotty wrote:

ESPN interviews lame movie stars on SportsCenter all the time and you're going after them for not doing 'actual sports' for their interview of an Olympic gold medalist? lol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:50 am 

Pool wrote:
My 2 cent analysis: Bad business plan. You want live sports so you got to pay rights to leagues to air games. As time goes on, those prices surely increase. I think it's hard to say we're going to do all live sports or all live talk shows.

The thing nobody has mentioned is cord cutters.

I think it's very similar to what happened with newspapers
The business model changed and by the time ESPN realized it, it was too late

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 am 
WWoW Artist

The writing was on the wall beginning around the end of the 2000's, as online media players and clips began to gain popularity. Now, you cannot escape it--even on desktops, albeit many thousands of people are soooooooooo addicted to seeing videos and full shows on smartphones, it is simply mind blogging.

And guess who is paying for it in exorbitant subscriber fees--many people who are still cord lovers. At least, we can see why cord cutting has become so popular these days.

Speaking of it again...
this is not a good morning for two excellent beat reporters as they were the latest names to go public after getting "the call":

College basketball reporter Andy Katz
College football reporter David Lombardi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:45 am 
WWoW Artist

9:28 a.m. Update:

Reporter Britt McHenry will have the NFL Draft as she stays inside one of the team's war rooms in being her final assignment after three years reporting for "The Worldwide Leader In Sports"...not. :Joker

Who might be next? Sure hope it isn't one of our favorite ladies in front of the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:04 am 
I've posted THIS MUCH????!!

bigzman wrote:
9:28 a.m. Update:

Reporter Britt McHenry will have the NFL Draft as she stays inside one of the team's war rooms in being her final assignment after three years reporting for "The Worldwide Leader In Sports"...not. :Joker

Who might be next? Sure hope it isn't one of our favorite ladies in front of the camera.

Glad she's getting the boot. The parking attendant incident was ugly. I'm hoping Sage Steele is next after the airport protest comments.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next