Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anyone miss the good old times of HLN/Headline News?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:23 am 
Silver Member

When it was actually a news network. Though it could have been worse if Robin took the money and ran to CNN New York Headquarters. I doubt HLN would have had Morning Express with Lynn Berry (OK Smith now). Plus, I wish Yasmin went barelegged once in a while.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Anyone miss the good old times of HLN/Headline News?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:46 am 

Of course I do. I still watch Robin occasionally and The Daily Share when Christi is on. But since Christi is on CNN weekend mornings, I don't have much reason to watch HLN anymore. I like Lynn a lot (in fact, I switched to her on Early Today when I stopped watching Robin 4 years ago) but even she's not enough to keep me interested in HLN for more than 10-15 minutes. I just do not like the format of the network as it is now.

I think the last time I actually liked watching HLN was back in 2008, when you could expect to see Robin, Susan Hendricks, Christi and Erica Hill (in that order) from 6AM to 7PM... and they were covering real news! That's what I miss.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:55 am 
Bronze Member

I do, 2 words.. Lynn Russell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:41 pm 
WWoW regular

My faves were Patti Tripathi and Kysa Daniels.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:33 pm 
WWoW Artist

Sure do. I miss when HLN was great for getting news summaries when I was in a hurry. When they got that gossip monger Nancy Grace I knew it was the end of HLN. There must be something ($$) to what it's become or they wouldn't be doing what they're doing and there's certainly money in keeping Robin and Morning Express going. I miss the old CNN too when they were America's BBC, the undisputed top of the American TV news business. I know there are a lot of CNN haters here but I still think that they're the best go-to for major news events even with their many flaws, the best of a bad lot. NPR and PBS are more professional but they aren't 24-hour news networks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:34 pm 
Bronze Member

So I'm guessing not alot of people on here are fans of all the Forensic Files marathons. :jetserl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:04 pm 

chris217 wrote:
I think the last time I actually liked watching HLN was back in 2008, when you could expect to see Robin, Susan Hendricks, Christi and Erica Hill (in that order).

From what I know, Susan remains off the air and hasn't gone back into anchoring anywhere since she
parted ways with HLN last year. Strangely, her Facebook page is still titled "Susan Hendricks HLN".

Susan is good friends still with Christi and Lynn; here's a pic from over the summer, and a recent new publicity shot:
ImageImage

Kind of surprised you didn't mention Linda Stouffer, though, chris --
She was certainly a major face of HLN for a long time. Emphasis on "face" ;)
Linda of course, has since found success at WSB in Atlanta as both anchor and correspondent,
so she's not totally limited to a desk all the time. Some recent pics of Linda out & about:
Image Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:21 am 
Administrator

The one I miss the most is Catherine Callaway. Who started at CNN Headline News and then moved to CNN. Then went back to HLN as a fill-in, I think she has left the network.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:20 am 
Silver Member

chris217 wrote:
Of course I do. I still watch Robin occasionally and The Daily Share when Christi is on. But since Christi is on CNN weekend mornings, I don't have much reason to watch HLN anymore. I like Lynn a lot (in fact, I switched to her on Early Today when I stopped watching Robin 4 years ago) but even she's not enough to keep me interested in HLN for more than 10-15 minutes. I just do not like the format of the network as it is now.

I think the last time I actually liked watching HLN was back in 2008, when you could expect to see Robin, Susan Hendricks, Christi and Erica Hill (in that order) from 6AM to 7PM... and they were covering real news! That's what I miss.

Actually I go closer to 2010 (my opinion) when Susan Hendricks was a weekday person and a fill-in for Robin but I understand with Erica Hill because that's when she left Prime News. For the Record I think Christi Paul or Linda should have Prime News new host not Mike GalaNOs. Plus that same year in 2010, both Richard Lui and Chuck Roberts left opening up to the ladies which also included Richelle Carey. Also Pac RT, Susan left earlier this year. She filed some medical reports in January before leaving. I wished they gave Evening Express and that News program at noon hosted by Kyra Phillips for stay at home moms (well maybe that program could have catered to stay at home parents since dads in a number of families are the ones that stay at home.) more of a chance. Also yeah you're right about Susan Hendricks still has her Public Page with HLN on it. Also Lynn Smith will miss time, Unsure if Susan could return but HLN doesn't have much their in their roster and Christi already has a show on the weekends. Probably depends if HLN wants to go there and if Susan can take time from her company.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:02 pm 

Laker wrote:
The one I miss the most is Catherine Callaway. Who started at CNN Headline News and then moved to CNN. Then went back to HLN as a fill-in, I think she has left the network.

Not sure where she is exactly, but she was still with CNN
as of the summer of last year, reporting on the Michael Brown case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZUe3Y1mc1g

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:17 pm 
WWoW regular

MMM.. I had totally forgotten about Catherine Callaway.. THX for the memories.. I also do not like the format of HLN.. A couple of years ago they had 5 different shows on during the day and night and the Jodi Arias trial was going on and all 5 carried the same details just under different show names and now its more of an entertainment show.. I just turn over from time to time to see what Robins hair looks like.. Other than that I dont even turn it on that channel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:32 pm 
WWoW Artist

Loaded question. How far back are we talking about? The channel started New Years day in 1982. For capping and clipping there were years where it was unworthy.
I need more information to render a opinion. 2000 to 2005 was brutal but they used good women. It goes thru phases.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:36 pm 
WWoW Artist

The closest channel to the classic format on HLN is One America News Network that started two years ago. Before OANN arrived the next channel that is similar in format is Sky News. No point counterpoint debates with yelling.

Last edited by Brettfan on Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:38 pm 
WWoW Artist

Toria Tolley was a favorite. She left, when Andrea Thompson and Robin Meade arrived, with Lynne Russell. I liked the channel between 1989 and 2000. But for leg the best period was late 05 to 2011. And the stint with Hendricks doing a court show before she quit the channel because they canned her show. I should mention the show Kyra did was not bad either and it was quickly canned. Erica Hill's evening show in 05 was pretty good. It also quickly ended but by the end it had a worse set. The downfall began when Kathleen Kennedy left and Virginia Cha went missing before emerging only to quit. Holly Firfer and Sofia Choi being fired were other pivotal points as was Rudi Bahktiar leaving and the failed Andrea Thompson experiment.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:41 am 
WWoW Artist

Kyra's show got canned because it was always getting interrupted by the Jodi Arias trial.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:17 am 
Silver Member

Brettfan wrote:
Loaded question. How far back are we talking about? The channel started New Years day in 1982. For capping and clipping there were years where it was unworthy.
I need more information to render a opinion. 2000 to 2005 was brutal but they used good women. It goes thru phases.

I started watching about 2007 so that time plus wasn't that when HLN started the one anchor format because they had Mike and Christi anchor a hour and Chuck and Linda anchor for a hour. Unless if HLN had leg shots for the ladies when they were paired with the guys. Also it was Christi who had a show on Court TV before it become Tru TV and Christi came back to HLN/CNN.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:44 am 
Bronze Member

Bring back Ted Turner!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:34 pm 
WWoW Artist

newsguy wrote:
Brettfan wrote:

I started watching about 2007 so that time plus wasn't that when HLN started the one anchor format because they had Mike and Christi anchor a hour and Chuck and Linda anchor for a hour. Unless if HLN had leg shots for the ladies when they were paired with the guys. Also it was Christi who had a show on Court TV before it become Tru TV and Christi came back to HLN/CNN.

Ok. That after Rudi left and after Hurricane Katrina which came when Catherine Calloway went missing and then turned up on the main CNN doing overnight hosting of breaking news and updates. Linda Stouffer and Kathleen Kennedy and Sophia Choi were still at HLN. 07 was around the year Holly Firfer left HLN as well. At this point I lost track of names of other people.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]