Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Ann likely out at Today
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:51 pm 
Bronze Member

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/06/an ... today.html

:cry: Nooooooooooooooooooo

A sad defeat for year-round hose.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Ann likely out at Today
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:10 pm 
WWoW Artist

And Savannah is in... maybe.

More deep thoughts and readers' comments here:

http://www.mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/20/nbc-prepares-to-replace-ann-curry-on-today/

"They feel real pressure to get it done by the Olympics." Well, as long as there's no rush...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:30 pm 
Bronze Member

What?!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:06 pm 

You all aren't seriously surprised by this, are you??? The rumors have been out there for months.

They've given her more than a year to work out the kinks, but did you really expect that NBC (even with all the stupidity
they've got in management) would just let her keep stumbling her way through week after week?
Especially since she's not new to morning TV or the Today Show for that matter, she's filled in enough
over the years to have this down pat by now... but she just doesn't.

Nothing against Ann, and yes, she's easy on the eyes, etc., but this is just not her strongest suit.
I think if the story's true and she's aiming for more out in the field correspondent work, she should go for it.
She's very good at putting together news pieces like that, always has been. On-the-fly live TV is not her thing, that's all.

Post subject: NBC Prepares to Replace Ann Curry on ‘Today’
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:00 pm 
Bronze Member

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... -on-today/

So, I just read the article.

Hmmmmm, so NBC execs are able to pinpoint the reason Today is losing to GMA in ratings to Ann Curry?

Ok????, but I could put forth a number of other guesses as to what the problem may be:

- 3 hour format vs 2 hours for GMA or the CBS disaster show (don't know what its really called anymore) 3 hours causes the show to drag and be horribly predictable

- Familiar boring segments (kind of related to the first point)

- Possibly the other talent/anchors

The article mentions Guthrie or Viera as replacements for Curry, but Viera said she would not return full time. If I had a vote, I would NOT vote for Guthrie as a replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:20 pm 
Bronze Member

pacificRT wrote:
You all aren't seriously surprised by this, are you??? The rumors have been out there for months.

They've given her more than a year to work out the kinks, but did you really expect that NBC (even with all the stupidity
they've got in management) would just let her keep stumbling her way through week after week?
Especially since she's not new to morning TV or the Today Show for that matter, she's filled in enough

Nothing against Ann, and yes, she's easy on the eyes, etc., but this is just not her strongest suit.
I think if the story's true and she's aiming for more out in the field correspondent work, she should go for it.
She's very good at putting together news pieces like that, always has been. On-the-fly live TV is not her thing, that's all.

No. The NYT piece was spot on. She really is a good journalist, but she doesn't have that gift that Katie and Meredith had of transitioning from unrest in Syria to Busy Mom's on a Budget with a likable smile. It was always forced, even if cordial. Agreed, Savannah is more likely to succeed in that role--with the lawyer's credentials and the Cindy Bray lisp. Still, as a hose-hound, have loved Ann these past few years. Sad that it had to be this way, but not unexpected.

Post subject: Re: NBC Prepares to Replace Ann Curry on ‘Today’
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:25 pm 
Bronze Member

another article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/2 ... 13657.html

1700 people have commented so far!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:45 pm 
WWoW Artist

Shame. I really like her.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:38 am 
WWoW Artist

pacificRT wrote:

Yes...the problem is Ann entirely. It's all her fault. It has nothing to do with the ridiculous and stupid segments the show airs constantly....youtube crap, octomom, the Kardashians and any other redundant tabloid story they can beat to death for an entire week. Oh...right, and I'm sure the 2-3 days of the so called 'Today's Professionals', who are so out of touch with the average viewer have absolutely NOTHING to do with the problems the show is having. It's ALL Ann's fault!!!

Sarcasm aside, I think most know with whom the real blame lies. But those people are untouchable. 'If there's a problem, just replace an anchor here or there, it should fix itself'....lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:07 am 
Administrator

Once Savannah Guthrie became the regular fill-in for Ann instead of Natalie Morales I figured a change might be coming eventually.
I'm sure Ann was not happy when told Meredith Vieira was coming back for the Olympics.
My guess is any change would happen after the Olympics.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:25 am 
WWoW Artist

danootay wrote:
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/06/ann-curry-on-her-way-out-at-nbc-today.html

:cry: Nooooooooooooooooooo

A sad defeat for year-round hose.

That's too bad because I liked Ann and if Savannah is her replacement not as excited. Been following Guthrie a little bit over the years. But she is ok. The excitement of Guthrie wore off after a year of her on tv for me. I saw her a lot on Court Tv, did not like her when she had a morning show on MSNBC. Natalie is far better to me. I know this is ratings motivated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:31 am 
WWoW Artist

pacificRT wrote:

Just saw Insider tonight and they brought up a botched today show interview. Not as bad as Martin Short and KLG. But bad enough. Mike Tyson went off topic and started making no sense when talking to Ann Curry. That sure doesn't help Ann.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:38 am 

Gambit wrote:
pacificRT wrote:

Yes...the problem is Ann entirely. It's all her fault. It has nothing to do with the ridiculous and stupid segments the show airs constantly....youtube crap, octomom, the Kardashians and any other redundant tabloid story they can beat to death for an entire week. Oh...right, and I'm sure the 2-3 days of the so called 'Today's Professionals', who are so out of touch with the average viewer have absolutely NOTHING to do with the problems the show is having. It's ALL Ann's fault!!!

Sarcasm aside, I think most know with whom the real blame lies. But those people are untouchable. 'If there's a problem, just replace an anchor here or there, it should fix itself'....lol.

Hang on-- I never said anything about the ratings thing being all Ann's fault, did I?
(I even remarked on stupidity in upper management)
It's just that since the topic is more about Ann's abilities, I really didn't address the other stuff.

Totally agree that they've wandered off into the wrong territory with all the tabloid content. Really don't know why
they found it necessary to take that approach anyway -- clearly it's turning off viewers.

There probably is at least some portion of the audience loss that's due to Ann not connecting somehow, but yes,
there's plenty more gone wrong at the show also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:39 am 
Bronze Member

Eh! Ann is a cutie but I'm really not going to miss her and her spanx All I can say is good luck to Savannah or whoever it is that takes over

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:25 am 
Bronze Member

this is really wild, NBC had plans in place in case Ann didn't come into work today after the news of her leaving went public

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 ... d=tw-share

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 am 
Silver Member

They should have gave the spot to Amy they were dumb to let ABC steal her away.

Last edited by thatguy on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:53 am 
WWoW regular

The morning news shows are all about the likability of the female co-host. Viewers liked Pauley, Couric and Vieira and didn't like Norville and Curry. The show had fluff with Vieira hosting, but people liked her so they overlooked all the junk.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:50 pm 
Bronze Member

I agree totally that it's not working. And it's NBC's cash cow. Savannah is MUCH better for the part than Ann who is always a bridesmaid never a bride on Today. I'll miss Ann because she's been giving consistent leg shows for a lot of years now. I hope she'll teach Savannah how to cross her legs properly, and not like a 13-year-old.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:51 pm 
Bronze Member

So I guess this proves Ann aint Schelping Matt!

Sorry Ann this is the WHO IS SCHELPING MATT LAUER TODAY SHOW (Except for the 4th hour which aint really the Today show we just loan them the name instead of calling it LIVE WITH REGIHODA & KATHIE LEE)
& Ann if you dont know who's crotch to plant your face in you dont belong on the show!

F U NBC & MATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:01 pm 
Bronze Member

Maybe it's for the best. She was sexier before the promotion. More sheer black hose.

/stares daggers at modelhunter

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next