Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sinclair Broadcast Group hit with ransomware attack
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:50 am 
Silver Member

Has anyone across the country have a Sinclair owned station which has been affected? Here in Lynchburg, Virginia it's been really weird. I first noticed the change yesterday during the 5pm newscast when anchor Danner Evans suddenly said, "Due to technical difficulties we now bring you Armstrong Williams." They'd run a shortened Armstrong Williams Show, and then a small segment from The View. Same thing with the 5:30 newscast. Our anchor, Noreen Turyn looked to be reading from a written copy, like their teleprompter was down. Maybe 10 minutes of news, and then they'd have to switch to a taped program. This morning during the shortened 5:30 newscast I think they finally addressed the problem. Looks like it's a pretty severe problem with their computers. Not just not having graphics or a teleprompter. They're able to show a clip or two of stories that were broadcast nationally. Mine being ABC. But that's about it. Even the weather forecasts have been affected. Maybe a temperature graphic, but no radar or anything.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sinclair Broadcast Group hit with ransomware attack
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:59 am 
Silver Member

I follow a morning anchor who works for a Sinclair station in Florida and her station was hacked so I believe it it's nationwide.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:16 pm 
Silver Member

newsguy wrote:
I follow a morning anchor who works for a Sinclair station in Florida and her station was hacked so I believe it it's nationwide.

It's surreal. I just watched their noon newscast, and it was barely 10 minutes. Melissa Schroeder reading off of written copy, and then a quick forecast from Sydney Welch. I wouldn't want to tell someone how to run a newscast during these times, but maybe they're just going on air to show that they're trying. Maybe they have contracts which make them have to have a newscast. I don't know. They probably know that some might just switch over to the other two local stations.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:47 am 
Bronze Member

What REALLY is scary is that these so called News Outlets cannot put together a basic broadcast without all the technology!

Do they not have anyone that can write copy & print it out?

Can reporters not film a story & bring it back to the studio?

If these outlets cant put together a basic show what would they do if there ever was an emergency?

Do they not have backups? No "Doomsday" plan?

At worst if they are affiliated with AP or a network go on a non affected computer & download stories & report them ( With full credit given of course)!

Do the anchors not know how to read off paper?

This is mindblowing!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:51 am 
Silver Member

CELEBRITYSLEUTH wrote:
What REALLY is scary is that these so called News Outlets cannot put together a basic broadcast without all the technology!

Do they not have anyone that can write copy & print it out?

Can reporters not film a story & bring it back to the studio?

If these outlets cant put together a basic show what would they do if there ever was an emergency?

Do they not have backups? No "Doomsday" plan?

At worst if they are affiliated with AP or a network go on a non affected computer & download stories & report them ( With full credit given of course)!

Do the anchors not know how to read off paper?

This is mindblowing!

I agree with you. Even during their abbreviated newscasts they do have a story or two which have been filmed by the local reporters. It makes you wonder why they can't get creative. It's election season here in Virginia. Film a live interview with a candidate. Do a community interest story. Something! They barely read off of copy for 5 minutes, turn it over to weather for 2, and then they give they're now standard statement regarding the cyber attack and they're out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:48 pm 
WWoW Artist

Even worse, there are at least 10 minutes of crime related or election relates stories several weeks leading up to Election Day :shock:, all of it before the first commercial break.

I get that. But does the news always have to start with such sad news every single night?

This isn't anything new. This has been going on for over 30 years. Look on YouTube and see certain local newscasts from 1990 on previous, and you will see quite a difference in overall presentation. The biggest difference in my opinion, there was no fluff or sugarcoating of any significance.

Nowadays, it's a bunch of talking heads merely reading the news and giving off commentary that contains points not worth hearing, instead of having actual reporting :evil: .

I am sure every anchor's college degrees are on their websites. My best advice, try to email the news directors and see what steps you should take to make the news sound better. Question why they are "the best station in town" or "People trust us so we can be accurate, we are fair, and we get it right."

You would be surprised to see what difference viewers can make to change the tone of a newscast, regardless if their 11 p.m. news is ranked second, third, or fourth.

But that's what I have learned, and I have a degree in communications so I do many valid points worth considering.

Celebritysleuth, you are not alone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:03 pm 
Bronze Member

they are conservatives own backer and station could that be reason behind it.