Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Robin Meade to CNN?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:28 pm 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

On ICN, Spud builds from another article that foresees the demise of HLN and wonders if Robin would take over the CNN morning show as a result

http://insidecablenews.wordpress.com/20 ... e-know-it/

ImageImage

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Robin Meade to CNN?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:43 pm 
I've posted THIS MUCH????!!

Hey as long as Lynn gets Morning Express, fine with me. :Thumb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:47 pm 

I don't see how Robin would fit at CNN. She doesn't have a whole lot of experience doing live interviews, let alone multiple interviews during one program. She has a (for lack of a better word) playful style to anchoring that wouldn't work on CNN, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:49 pm 

fordloco wrote:
Hey as long as Lynn gets Morning Express, fine with me. :Thumb

Well, if Vice takes over, there might not be a Morning Express for Lynn to go to. Read the full article.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:53 pm 

chris217 wrote:
I don't see how Robin would fit at CNN. She doesn't have a whole lot of experience doing live interviews, let alone multiple interviews during one program. She has a (for lack of a better word) playful style to anchoring that wouldn't work on CNN, in my opinion.

But could Robin fix the mess that has been CNN mornings just by being Robin?
I don't think live interviews would be a problem
She can always rely on her experience as a Chicago anchor
Also, if Robin goes to CNN would that scuttle the reported plans to bring in Alisyn Camerota?

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:13 pm 

sparty wrote:
chris217 wrote:

But could Robin fix the mess that has been CNN mornings just by being Robin?

If most of her viewers follow her, sure. But CNN in the mornings is almost completely different to what HLN does in the mornings. Some of her viewers could be turned away by such a drastic format change. Robin's personality alone isn't a quick fix for CNN mornings. I like Robin, but she doesn't fit with CNN.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:46 pm 

That's always been the problem with CNN
They take away people's personalities
But Brooke seems to be bucking that trend :Kool

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:51 pm 

sparty wrote:
That's always been the problem with CNN
They take away people's personalities
But Brooke seems to be bucking that trend :Kool

Brooke has a personality. Erin has a personality. Brianna has a personality.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 pm 

Everyone has a personality. That's not the point.

Here's what I'm trying to get at, and I'll say it as simply as I can: Robin has a particular style suited specifically to a show built around her (Morning Express/HLN). My concern is that it doesn't translate to a program focused more on in-depth reporting and politics (New Day/CNN).

Robin is the star of her program and that's what you're tuning in for, otherwise she wouldn't be reading only the headlines for 4 hours. On New Day, the focus is more toward the stories (e.g. missing plane) and long interviews. The format is completely different between Morning Express and New Day.

And this brings me back to the possibility that not all of her viewers will make the transition with her to CNN if Robin were to anchor on New Day:

chris217 wrote:
If most of her viewers follow her, sure. But CNN in the mornings is almost completely different to what HLN does in the mornings. Some of her viewers could be turned away by such a drastic format change.

Her diehard fans will of course watch no matter what, but all 200-250,000 of her current viewers?

I'm not at all criticizing Robin. She does what she does very well. I'm just saying, in my opinion, that she has a style not suited to what CNN does in the mornings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:56 pm 

And you're saying CNN won't adjust its style to accommodate Robin
Still, personality IS a point
That's why Kiran failed at CNN
It took her personality away

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:13 pm 
WWoW Founder

Sending Robin to CNN morning show is like putting a new chair on the deck of the Titanic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:39 pm 
Bronze Member

chris217 wrote:

+1

I would make the argument that New Day's format needs to change and they need to do some more lighthearted fare (Fox And Friends blends in hard news with cooking segments and so forth - why CNN can't do that is beyond me as it wouldn't wreck their brand.....that's already been done). But Robin Meade would be a terrible fit for what New Day is - she's the perfect fit for Morning Express.

This, of course, is a lot of speculation at this point but if Vice were to take over HLN the entire network would get an overhaul and Morning Express would not survive as it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:27 am 

"...the end of HLN as we know it" ???

That seems to happen like clockwork about every 2 years. :Doh
CNN has been mangling, then reassembling their sister network over and over for most of the last decade.

The cyclical mass-firings, the "Trial Of The Century (Of The Month)"/CourtTV identity crises, the constant rebranding...

Headline News/HLN barely gets a chance for anyone to know it anymore, before some clueless consultants come along
and undo everything that was just done...the paint doesn't even dry. It's turned into the "Transformer" network.
Don't blink --- you won't recognize it if you wait a little while. :?

(All this going on by the way, even BEFORE Zucker was on the scene)

And dig a little deeper into this "Vice" matter...it's interesting:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-1 ... media.html

Murdoch's FoxCorp. already has a stake in Vice, and --here's the weirder part -- TimeWarner says they're not even interested
in getting hold of Fox's portion. :Coyote Huh????
So if this all goes down.... CNN AND Fox both have partial control over the same media outlet?
Was that a flying pig that just went by? :mrgreen:

I don't even get what this is really based on. Vice Media (which I didn't even know existed until this story) just established their
news organization and channel last December....just 6 months ago. And TimeWarner and Fox are both trying to sink their claws
into them ALREADY? On what track record? On how much success? And now talk of just gutting a whole cable operation to hand them the keys? :Crazy :Crazy :Crazy

All I'm seeing in this is a bunch of over-stressed network execs grabbing at straws and being
mesmerized by shiny new objects. It's gotten predictable and even sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:19 pm 
WWoW Artist

Vice started as a magazine in the mid-90s, but has become a multi-media company. Gavin MacInnes (frequent Red Eye guest) was one of its founders but left in 2007. Michael C. Moynihan (another Red Eye guest) once was an editor. Vice has shows on MTV and HBO.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:01 am 
Silver Member

Wasn't there multiple posting about her not wanting to move to New York? I doubt it, she will especially that people here noticed of her not being happy in the NYC. I wouldn't surprise if she stayed in Atlanta and hosted a local morning show talk show or Nashville or someplace in the southeast.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:10 am 

newsguy wrote:
Wasn't there multiple posting about her not wanting to move to New York? I doubt it, she will especially that people here noticed of her not being happy in the NYC.

Yep. But if this Vice thing actually happens, will they want to keep her/will she want to stay?

newsguy wrote:
I wouldn't surprise if she stayed in Atlanta and hosted a local morning show talk show or Nashville or someplace in the southeast.

Not a bad option if she really doesn't want to move to NYC. I don't think Zucker will accept anything other than a move to NYC if he wants her on CNN mornings. There's also that country music career...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]