Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Have the legs gone forever at Fox News?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:05 am 
WWoW regular

Once upon a time it was an open secret that the female talent at FNC were not allowed to wear pants. The likes of Ainsley Earhardt, Gretchen Carlson and Kimberly Guifoyle confirmed as much with unscripted on air comments and Jedediah Bila and Andrea Tantaros complained about it after they left FNC. Moreover the open fronted desks, leg chairs and long camera shots ensured there was almost invariably a good leg show at some point on pretty much every Fox program. That was just fine with me. I am genuinely interested in what all the Fox ladies have to say and have no qualms about saying that they are all genuinely much more intelligent than me, but if they brighten my day by wearing a nice skirt or dress and showing off their magnificent pins while they impart their wisdom, so much the better and why should I be ashamed of succumbing to basic human nature by liking that?

Roger Ailes fully understood the allure of skirts, dresses and legs of course and it was all part of his formula for the success of FNC. But after his departure amid sexual harassment allegations it seemed that Fox felt the need to go woke. Anchors like Ainsley who had seldom if ever worn pants before began wearing them regularly and female legs were increasingly being hidden behind desks on many shows. As if that wasn't bad enough, FNC seem to have used the COVID situation to banish female legs completely and you rarely see anything of the ladies but heads and shoulders these days.

So I am curious to know what other Fox devotees think. Are you missing the legs too and do you think they will ever come back?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Have the legs gone forever at Fox News?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:41 am 
WWoW Artist

I can only speak to what happened with their sister channel Fox Business.

In the beginning, Jenna Lee and Nicole Petallides had an early morning show and it was nice. Elizabeth MacDonald and Alexis Glick for a time joined before the trading day began.

Also of note, the first two plus years saw a show where Rebecca Gomez slid over from FNC to a New York City bar one hour after the trading day ended with Happy Hour. That show was so much fun and featured many jam packed segments--never was a dull moment, even during the Friday before the Oscars where we would see her film a few taped segments modelling red carpet dresses.

Cheryl Casone has been a mainstay and is still there today.

However, it was Liz Claman that changed everything on the very first day in autumn 2007--this happening a short time after leaving CNBC. Whether it was in the studio, or on the road visiting CEO's from Meg Whittman then of HP, the late Paul Ottellinni from Intel, Warren Buffett, and the early days of Elon Musk running Tesla was must watch TV. Sadly, the leg shows mostly disappeared by late May 2015.

I also recall Lori Rothman appearing off and on in the early 2010's, and later in the decade saw Jo Ling Kent before she left for NBC.

Even Melissa Francis and later on Trish Regan arrived from CNBC and Bloomberg, where they both contributed in the late afternoons and prime time with some success. That was, until there were some things that they shouldn't have mentioned on the air in 2020--which ended up costing them their jobs.

A few years prior to the pandemic, Maria Bartiromo appeared ocasionally in the same chair Liz made famous for years.

But since the pandemic hit, it is mostly about Liz sitting inside her mobile truck at home doing satellite interviews right and left. However on her Twitter, it is nice seeing her dog Rosie roam around her living room :D or showing us the rather peculiar view outside her windows :o

People like familiarity and there aren't many people left. The ratings prove it. And the last time I watched FBN on a regular basis was in early October 2019--when they changed their graphics, which are extremely difficult to read since their numbers appear way thinner than the bolder, easy to read graphics they had for almost a dozen years.

But I agree with you, PaulH on one point. Once the pandemic is mostly contained--Fox News will probably take advantage again with their studio window. The bigger question is with FBN. Will they do a studio makeover, or will they keep using the desks as is?

Clearly, it won't be the same again and to me is very sad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:42 pm 
Silver Member

I think it depends on what happens when Covid clears up (whenever that would be). Will Outnumbered return to pre-Covid days, same with F&F? Plus it isn't just Fox, NFL Network had NFL AM with their ladies dressed up and another morning show before having Good Morning Football with Kay Adams dressing casually. I don't know if Get Up has had a female host in a while after Beadle was removed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:04 pm 
WWoW regular

Thanks for your responses bigzman and newsman.

Just to add to what I previously said, as I heard Greg Gutfled put it, wherever political correctness goes the fun dies. I am not sure whether he had Fox in mind when he said that, but in the good old days Fox was most definitely not PC and I definitely found it a lot more fun to watch back then!

About ten years ago, Ainsley Earhardt attracted a lot of venom from all the Fox haters on social media when she said on air that Fox women didn't wear pants because they preferred to be feminine. But I make no apologies for saying that I loved the days when you NEVER, EVER saw Ainsley or any of these Fox ladies wear pants in the FNC Studio – Laurie Dhue, Jenna Lee, Andrea Tantaros, Jedidiah Billa, SE Cupp, Juliet Huddy, Kimberly Guilfoyle, Jo Nousochousky, Kat Timpf, Cheryl Casone, Heather Childers, Lori Rothman, Harris Faulkner, Sandra Smith, Heather Nauert, Ann Kooiman, Shannon Bream, Molly Line, Patti Ann Browne, Gretchen Carlson, Trish Regan, Melissa Francis - to name but a few.

Talking on The View after leaving Fox, Jedediah Bila shed some interesting light on the Fox News dress code. “We get wardrobes, but it’s different than here. We used to go into a room and there were a bunch of dresses you could choose from. I was told at one point I wasn’t allowed to wear orange because Roger didn’t like the color orange, so I didn’t wear orange,” revealed the former Fox regular. “I didn’t see any pants. People always say, ‘Why didn’t you wear pants?’ You’ll notice I wear pants a lot here. I didn’t wear pants because I didn’t see a pants option. I wasn’t given a pants option so I had to wear skirts.” Yet when Jedediah was fired by The View and returned to Fox sometime after Roger Ailes departure, she reverted back to dresses and skirts and hardly ever wore pants. I am very curious about that, but am certainly not complaining!

So for the most part, whatever their private qualms it seems that Ainsley, Jedediah and all those other Fox ladies just accepted the dress code as part of the job, but there were ladies who attempted buck the no pants culture at Fox News Corp (FNC) over the years. Once upon a time ED Hill was one of FNC’s brightest female stars. Ms Hill was a lady with very long shapely legs and was most definitely not averse to showing them off by wearing some scandalously short skirts. Needless to say this earned her quite a following among FNC’s male viewers, but her popularity with that particular demographic tanked precipitously when she inexplicably developed an affinity for pants suits and her much admired legs entered a prolonged period of hibernation. One can't help but wonder whether this was a factor in FNC's decision not to renew her contract shortly after her infamous “Obama’s terrorist fist pump” gaffe back in 2008.

Then there was the mysterious case of Julie Banderas and her disappearing pants. Ms Banderas was a committed pants wearer when she anchored the Fox Report over a decade ago and when this attracted some adverse twitter comment she defiantly tweeted “I couldn’t care less if men don’t like me wearing pants.” But then Julie was removed from the anchor slot and assigned back to reporter duties for some time and when she did eventually reappear as Fox Report’s anchor somewhat mysteriously her beloved pants didn’t reappear with her. Indeed the feisty lady who couldn’t care less if male viewers didn’t like her wearing pants always wore dresses or skirts, so I am wondering whether she was somehow made to care to care about the sartorial expectations of those male Fox viewers whom she taunted on Twitter by the threat of another timeout on Roger Ailes naughty step. In fact the only ladies who did regularly wear pants in the Fox studios in those days was Greta Van Sousteran, who let’s face it was never hired as eye candy and Megyn Kelly, who presumably got away with it because she was rising like a meteor through the organization at the time.

Of course we now know that there was a dark side to Roger Ailes and the Fox News culture and I would never condone that, yet far from being oppressed male chauvinist stooges, I always thought the Fox women were great role models for female success - very intelligent and articulate, highly educated, beautiful, wonderfully groomed and dressed and of course rich and famous. Good luck to them, thanks to Fox for showcasing their talents in every sense of the word and let’s hope that the Fox leg shows will not be entirely dead and buried in the post COVID world.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:11 am 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

Back when Ainsley was doing overnights she received an alumni award from South Carolina
The school posted the ceremony online
One of Ainsley’s professors drew a big laugh when she said: “Ainsley, remember that talk we had about being professional and business suits? Well, you work for Fox now, so keep wearing those miniskirts, heels and sweaters.”
I think Zoom interviews and work from home might be a permanent part of the cable news landscape
It’s a lot cheaper

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:57 pm 
WWoW Artist

sparty wrote:
I think Zoom interviews and work from home might be a permanent part of the cable news landscape
It’s a lot cheaper

Agree for Zoom interviews but I wonder about work from home being cheaper. If a channel wants to be professional they need to put a good camera and mic and lighting and a green screen in the home of each on-air person and they ought to be paying for their internet too. Some of the news people show their home setups and they look expensive! They already have a studio so no extra expense there. Maybe they're paying regulars for transportation from home to studio so there is that savings.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:26 pm 
WWoW Artist

Liz Claman immediately comes to mind.
Her background is almost a carbon copy of what we normally see on The Claman Countdown.

Her glass desk through a bulk of the 2010's was mostly a semicircle. Most of the camera angles were either straight ahead or when Charlie Gasparino would stop by, we would see Liz's legs facing from the right side--briefly covered by the table creating a small shadow.

Post COVID-19, this is why I asked the question initially--will everyone from FBN be back in the studio? And if so, what could be their setup?

Compared to Fox News, we generally know what we fans are going to get there. At least, that's what I think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:00 pm 
Bronze Member

yes it has with covid and sex scandal they gone away

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:24 am 
Silver Member

Good morning, gentlemen,

Thank you all for the insight and explanations...very fascinating stuff.

My two shiny pennies: Given the current COVID-19 environment in New York City, plus the occasional sexual harassment claims that still keep popping up (although I believe there was something...fraudulent about Ed Henry's swift boot), we may be just getting "head shots" from FNC and FNC for the foreseeable future.

FWIW, HLN is the sickly little brother of the cable news business, and yet they've always been my mistress to FNC being my wife. Morning Express has been on headshots since last March.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:33 am 
WWoW regular

I haven't got the stomach to watch CNN these days, but when I look at the CNN board on here, i think they have more leg shows than Fox these days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 am 
Silver Member

braniac wrote:
sparty wrote:
It’s a lot cheaper

Agree for Zoom interviews but I wonder about work from home being cheaper. If a channel wants to be professional they need to put a good camera and mic and lighting and a green screen in the home of each on-air person and they ought to be paying for their internet too. Some of the news people show their home setups and they look expensive! They already have a studio so no extra expense there. Maybe they're paying regulars for transportation from home to studio so there is that savings.

and to some extent local news. Some reporters have worked from home for stories. One of the main anchors in my area, Allison Kropff has been anchoring with home mostly for over a year and who knows for how much longer (she did get the Pizfer vaccine so she probably could be in the studio soon). Also, did Robin and others take the vaccine? Also, a big question will be, If the execs give the go-ahead, will the talent return to the studio? I'm sure most will because back to normalcy but I'm sure that there will the some who might stay home because they like to be casual and the women enjoy not wearing heels. Working from home means only wearing a nice top and that's it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:32 am 
Bronze Member

LongJohnScotty wrote:
Good morning, gentlemen,

My two shiny pennies: Given the current COVID-19 environment in New York City, plus the occasional sexual harassment claims that still keep popping up (although I believe there was something...fraudulent about Ed Henry's swift boot), we may be just getting "head shots" from FNC and FNC for the foreseeable future.

You may be right but I don’t get that logic.
If a woman wears a short dress on TV that means she’s more likely to be harassed by guys she sees in person?

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:41 am 
Silver Member

hanley wrote:
LongJohnScotty wrote:
Good morning, gentlemen,

You may be right but I don’t get that logic.
If a woman wears a short dress on TV that means she’s more likely to be harassed by guys she sees in person?

More likely on-air talent would be harassed online than in person with email and social media and not just from guys.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 pm 
WWoW regular

Well at least Jillian and Carly have emerged from behind the desk at F&F to stand directly before the camera lately. The even better news is that they still wear a skirt or dress most days and we usually get a brief shot of legs before the camera homes in on them. Perhaps there is hope that the legs will come back after all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:48 am 
Bronze Member

Man look, I'm glad someone penned a thread like this. It's an obvious yet profound subject but a sad and necessary one. The only thing is, I would change the title just a touch to "Have the legs gone forever in Cable News?" Yeah that's right I said it...gone..."Gone with the wind"...Lol. Anyway, to be blunt and specific, the answer is an emphatic YES...the legs are GONE and its really a shame it had to come to this. As far as being gone forever...let's hope not but for the moment they are largely missing in action.

...and so it goes

SHäˈlōm

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:24 pm 
Silver Member

newsguy wrote:
braniac wrote:
sparty wrote:
It’s a lot cheaper

and to some extent local news. Some reporters have worked from home for stories. One of the main anchors in my area, Allison Kropff has been anchoring with home mostly for over a year and who knows for how much longer (she did get the Pizfer vaccine so she probably could be in the studio soon). Also, did Robin and others take the vaccine? Also, a big question will be, If the execs give the go-ahead, will the talent return to the studio? I'm sure most will because back to normalcy but I'm sure that there will the some who might stay home because they like to be casual and the women enjoy not wearing heels. Working from home means only wearing a nice top and that's it.

To update Robin did get the Vaccine (unsure about the rest of the crew). Maybe we can get a shot on the couch but it would only be one other person not the three at a time pre-Covid. Also, I would have to guess network bosses would want everyone on one roof instead of multiple places at once (well talent's homes not live shots that stays especially if there's a glitch/problem at the talent's home). I'm sure if a reporter can do his/her report from home, their bosses will allow it to cut down on the people in the building.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 10:55 am 
WWoW Artist

Outnumbered sat out on Tuesday May 4th but the 3rd was the usual format. The format yesterday may not last as it was socially distanced. Thus only three women on set and no guy. So unsure if it will be used today. Emily Campagno was on the right couch, Kayleigh McEnany was on the left couch and Harris in center. Basically, one woman less and no guy. So it may not work or guy might be in another room or somewhere else. Who knows. Was a shock. Nearly 14 months of split screen.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:05 pm 
WWoW Artist

Same format as yesterday with the same women. Emily, Kayleigh and Harris. Unfortunately Harris in pants but the other two in dresses. Ah but wait. Gowdy on via split screen like I had suspected and another woman via split screen too. But showing shots in studio. The other woman was Morgan Ortagus.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:18 pm 
WWoW regular

Brettfan wrote:
Same format as yesterday with the same women. Emily, Kayleigh and Harris. Unfortunately Harris in pants but the other two in dresses. Ah but wait. Gowdy on via split screen like I had suspected and another woman via split screen too. But showing shots in studio. The other woman was Morgan Ortagus.

It really did gladden my heart this morning to see legs back on Outnumbered. Emily and Kayleigh are two of my favorites and both looked fab and very leggy in their dresses. Shame Harris partially spoiled it by wearing pants.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:39 am 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

Fox & Friends returned to the curvy couch this morning
The couch was in three sections
Nice to see Ainsley’s legs again :Kool

ImageImage