Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Worst Christmas Songs Ever?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 pm 
Silver Member

On Black Friday, the laser in my 23 year old boom box went out, forever silencing its CD player. I turned on the radio and found a good classic rock station; however, at least once an hour they play Xmas music.

I call it Xmas music instead of Christmas music because not only does it NOT celebrate the birth of Woody Allen (The First Noel/Silent Night/ Handel's Messiah), but it is just a part of the commercial syndicate's ongoing plot to commercialize Christmas to the hilt (Christmas in July, anyone?)

Worst Xmas songs ever:

1) John Lennon, "Merry Christmas (War Is Over, If You Want It)"/ Paul McCartney, "A Wonderful Christmas Time": OMFG. Arguably the most influential songwriting duo in rock history, and they produce the biggest turds in the Xmas punchbowl. The hippie sanctimonious vibe from John's song is annoying and hypocritical, and Paul's song is arguably the stupidest thing he has ever written. These two Beatles should be ashamed of themselves.

2) George Michael, "Last Christmas". I hated Wham! with a passion. I revered George Michael's solo career. This whiny, petulant, repetitive mess about his girlfriend sucked a$$. Wait, he had a GIRLFRIEND? ;)

3) Chuck Berry, "Run Run Rudolf": Not so much Chuck Berry, but the 3,000 other acts covering this song. It gets worse-sounding and more stupid with every artist, every year.

4) Bon Jovi, "Merry Christmas, Baby": Because John Bon Jovi sucked enough already.

5) Bruce Springsteen/Jackson 5, "Santa Claus is Coming to Town": The most over-produced, overdone versions of the "Santa" song. Both the Boss and a young Michael get way too enthusiastic/dramatic with the chorus.

Your least favorite/most hated Xmas/Christmas songs?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Worst Christmas Songs Ever?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:37 am 
Bronze Member

Your Lennon / McCartney ballads rank top on my worst list!!

Conversely, I've always been fond of Keith Richard's Run Run Rudolph version as well as the entire Phil Spector Christmas Gift for you album.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:23 pm 

Yep, "A Wonderful Christmas Time" is my least favorite. Absolutely hate it. We've been playing Christmas songs at work and that one plays at least 3 or 4 times a day. Drives me insane. No offense to our resident Beatles fan, HSF, but that one is among the worst songs I've ever heard. :Bang

Since you're asking about the "worst" ones, I'll go ahead and say my favorite is "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" by Gayla Peevey. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:14 am 
Administrator

That's okay Chris, I understand. He could've given it a lush arrangement or a rocking backbeat, but instead he goes for sparse synthesizer bleeps and bloops? I don't get it. :?

As for my pick? Well, when you're a kid, Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer is hilarious. After you've listened to it for a couple of decades, it loses its luster very quickly.

Robin Meade Video Dump - Updated 4/21/23

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]