Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Any bitcoin users out there?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:25 am 
Administrator

I love the idea of cyber currency, but I worry about it losing all it's value. I'm surprised so many places are even accepting it. They even discuss it on the business networks.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Any bitcoin users out there?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:26 am 
WWoW Artist

I like the idea but I would strongly suggest avoiding it until it has more of a track record and shows sustainability.

With all the quantitative easing and the thrashing of the dollar it is probably only a matter of time before the dollar is no longer the world's reserves currency so there will be an alternative that pops up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:31 am 
Administrator

That's sort of where the risk/reward aspect comes in. As a serious investment, it's probably as risky as it gets. If the dollar drops then the cyber currency could possibly still maintain value, but if they lose legitimacy the value goes down. The biggest risk is if the government gets involved and they lose all legitimacy. Nefarious uses could cause them to be banned outright, or it could cause it to skyrocket. I had a small wallet I forgot about, and it increased in value 150% and I quickly sold them....glad I found it in time.

I'm surprised sites like Overstock are talking about accepting them as payment. It's such a roller coaster ride with the exchange rate that it would be hard to keep up with. As long as places accept bitcoins though, it would be futile to get rid of it. Sort of like filesharing or the war on drugs you can try to stop it, but as long as there's a demand.....

In the end, I love the idea of a cyber currency for sites to use. In the ideal world a cyber currency would protect people from inflation, but I doubt it will ever happen. Government will surely get involved at some point and some type of capital control will leave it vulnerable to the same fates as every other recognized currency out there.

Just a disclaimer: Don't be stupid. This is just a discussion about bitcoin and not any advice on what you should be investing in. Read up before you spend any money on anything.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:01 am 
Bronze Member

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014 ... e/5801093/ :notworking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:15 pm 
Bronze Member

Now folks are showing up dead over Bitcoin.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014 ... e/6088787/

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]