Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fridays (ABC)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:18 pm 
Administrator

A few have taken notice of my avatar/sig that I'm using (at the time of this entry), which is of the cult sketch comedy show Fridays. The nutshell version is that it was ABC's version of Saturday Night Live. It was eventually known for having future stars Larry David and Michael Richards in the cast, among other things. It only ran from 1980 to 1982, and briefly in reruns on USA in the late 80's, and then disappeared from television completely. It never even had any home video releases... until recently, that is. Shout! Factory released a five disc DVD best of set featuring 16 largely complete episodes and a bonus disc of cast and writers reunions and more. To say that the long suffering fans were rejoicing is an understatement, because I can barely find anybody I know who remembers this show. Yeah, it hasn't been on TV in over 25 years, but like that's an excuse!

I say that the episodes are largely complete, because some musical guests were cut for licensing reasons, and other sketches were cut for one reason or another. Despite the chop jobs, I'm pretty happy with the set. Besides, I can find most of the missing stuff and more on YouTube thanks to those who have diligently held on to their decades old VHS dubs. Which brings me to the various highlights below...

Firstly, the opening credits used in the first two seasons...

One of the most popular recurring characters was Battle Boy, a Michael Richards creation who created war scenarios for his toy soldiers, and caused chaos for his sister and friends.

Also popular was the Drugs R Us sketches, featuring Mark Blankfield as an extremely on-edge pharmacist. All he has to do is take a pill... and fortunately for him, he's surrounded by them. "I can handle it! I can handle it!"

Oh yeah, the drug humor was pretty bold (for its time) on this show. For instance, here's Nat E. Dred, the Rasta gourmet. Three guesses as to the secret herb that he uses in his dishes. Is it cinnamon? No no no, noooooooo...

Speaking of drugs, the Three Stooges were portrayed as bumbling stoners in a series of well executed sketches. However, Moe Howard's estate didn't care much for the portrayal and threatened legal action, which put a stop to the sketches (and likely the inclusion on the DVDs). A shame, because John Roarke did an incredible Curly impression. Did Larry David really need a wig for this?

And now we interrupt La Musica, La Musica with los commerciales!

Wait... I can't possibly mention Fridays without the Andy Kaufman incident, right?

Larry David and Bruce Mahler often portrayed a pair of rabbis with a fascination for matza. Here they perform a stunt of riding a motorcycle through a flaming "bagel of death" and a five foot wall of matza... LIVE!

Mahler would later play a similar rabbi that lived in Elaine's building on Seinfeld.

Speaking of David, here he is as a plastic surgeon, with the sketch ending in a slightly Steinbrenner-esque way.

I may add more sketches later if I find something good. I'm just glad I'm not alone in remembering this show! :Victory

Robin Meade Video Dump - Updated 4/21/23

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Fridays (ABC)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:47 pm 
Bronze Member

Looking forward to more posts, HSF. :cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:04 pm 
Gold Member

HSF---thanks a lot for a look into the "wayback machine" of TV comedy! This show was just as edgy, if not more, than SNL during the time it was broadcast.

My favorites:
1) The Rastamon Cooking Show (love that ganja!!!)
2) Mark Blankfield and his soooo over the top (and out of control) pharmacist! "I can handle it"!!!

Oh----Melanie Chartoff :censor :censor :censor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:22 pm 
Silver Member

Do you remember the sketch it was a reunion of the Beatles but John wasn't there Larry David took his place that was done not to long befoer John was Killed George was Jimmy Pou he was in 1964 The Tribute,

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:57 am 
Administrator

denden wrote:
Do you remember the sketch it was a reunion of the Beatles but John wasn't there Larry David took his place that was done not to long befoer John was Killed George was Jimmy Pou he was in 1964 The Tribute,

I don't personally remember seeing the sketch way back when, but sure enough, a VHS dub is on YouTube...

It's also one of the recurring sketches featuring the Larry David character Solly Mullins, the extremely unqualified temp worker. Only one Solly sketch made it to the DVD set.

As long as I'm at it, I might as well add a few more sketches... as I was in grade school back when this was new, I didn't have a crush on Melanie Chartoff like other older kids did. After seeing this sketch with her as a little in a nightie (and pantyhose) where her parents break the fourth wall (and third, literally), I can see where everybody was coming from!

Bruce Mahler is an accomplished musician, and every so often he'd put his piano playing abilities on display... with the aid of chickens.

And what do you get when you combine the Hollywood Squares with a Rubik's Cube? It's the hot new game show featuring 54 of your favorite celebrities!
(A personal favorite that I remember fondly from way back when.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:19 pm 
Silver Member

I remember the one the two Rabbi's in a kung fu movie me and my brother hurt ourselves laughing :thankyou for the post Melanie Chartoff was a Hottie :Tounge :censor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:57 pm 
Administrator

^^^ Ah yes, Enter The Matzoi! :P

A few more... this sketch appeared in the third episode, Diner Of The Living Dead. While this sketch appears pretty tame these days, especially with the current fascination with zombies that the world has, this sketch actually caused six affiliates to drop the show.

I also have yet to post any Friday Edition segments (Fridays' equivalent of SNL's Weekend Update). Melanie Chartoff served as the anchor. Maryedith Burrell often would file a filmed Fridays Focus Report. Also present is Rich Hall (a featured performer in the third season) filing another report from the very model town of Pitkinville, Montana.

At the end of the segment, Chartoff mentions the blurb about her in the then-current issue of Playboy. By some sort of sheer coincidence, I have that issue (October 1981, secretly salvaged years ago when my parents were cleaning out my brother's old closet :mrgreen: ). While the photo isn't revealing, it's still worth getting your hands on. ;)

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]