Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best TV type? tube,LCD,plasma, or projection?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:36 pm 
Capper Emeritus

from looking at and testing every TV type in 4 electronic stores over the past 6 months Ive come to these conclusions.....here is my worst to best picks:

4) worst TV type....projection...Ive never seen a truly bright screen in projection and from off to the sides they look poor.

3) next to worst..plasma....these damn things cost a fortune and generate as much heat as a small space heater!....that means a short life span....but the picture quality is better than projection OR LCD

2) next to best...LCD...these should far outlast plasma but the picture isnt as good as a tube or plasma...BUT a over 20 inch model costs $2300+

1) Best....the old picture tube...will last 15+ years and has the brightest and best picture you can get...IF...repeat IF you get a quality one....meaning SONY or panasonic....a $178 27" magnavox or sanyo WONT cut it!...

bought a 27" sony WEGA (non HDTV) and its pictre will out perform any pic Ive seen from any plasma or LCD or projection TV......yes Ive seen them side by side in all stores.....

WHY are stores pushing the hell out of LCD's and plasmas??? 2 resons: HUGE profit margin & easy shipping compared to a heavy tube TV..

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:12 am 
WWoW Founder

My brother and I bought a projector 2 months ago, and we love it. Haven't had any problems with picture looking poor.
We have digital cable plus the HDTV package the cable co carries.

Needless to say we are very pleased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:40 am 
Bronze Member

My brother just got a projector isn't too happy with the picture.
Doesn't give him the quality he thought it would.

LCD looks better than Plasma IMO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:46 am 
Capper Emeritus

guys, are you talking about a rear projection TV or a front projector like movie theatres use? (I didnt list front projectors becouse Ive never seen one in the store in use)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:10 am 
WWoW Founder

james7a wrote:
guys, are you talking about a rear projection TV or a front projector like movie theatres use? (I didnt list front projectors becouse Ive never seen one in the store in use)

Just like a movie projector. We have the X2
http://www.infocus.com/products/product ... rod=x2&c=4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:41 am 
Bronze Member

My brother has one of those too, don't know what model it is though.

Still LCD in my view is better in brightness and picture quality, than anything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:23 pm 
Capper Emeritus

buzz, some questions on your projector:

1) how big is the picture in relation to the distance from the screen? for instance how big would the image be at 5 feet and 10 feet from the screen??

2) do you use a screen or just a white wall? (Ive heard they re a lot better with a screen)

3) whats the upper and lower limit in size of image for a good quality pic? (the ones Ive seen advertised say 40-300 inches but I would guess the 300 inch pic would be a lot duller than the 40 inch pic)

4) have you had any reliability problems? (burnt bulbs??)

5) how much heat does it produce? and noise?

to me it seems a front projector is the only way to go to get a 40+ inch pic, the projector is far lighter and smaller than even the smallest LCD TV....I may get one in the future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:32 pm 
WWoW Founder

james7a wrote:
buzz, some questions on your projector:

1) how big is the picture in relation to the distance from the screen? for instance how big would the image be at 5 feet and 10 feet from the screen??

2) do you use a screen or just a white wall? (Ive heard they re a lot better with a screen)

3) whats the upper and lower limit in size of image for a good quality pic? (the ones Ive seen advertised say 40-300 inches but I would guess the 300 inch pic would be a lot duller than the 40 inch pic)

4) have you had any reliability problems? (burnt bulbs??)

5) how much heat does it produce? and noise?

to me it seems a front projector is the only way to go to get a 40+ inch pic, the projector is far lighter and smaller than even the smallest LCD TV....I may get one in the future...

1) Ours is 14 feet from the wall, and the image is 81 inches wide
2) We used a wall painted with movie screen paint. (Many thanks to my friend that does work on theatres)
3) Not sure what you mean by upper, and lower limits. :?
4) Have had NO burnt bulbs, and it's on alot. If you turn it off it is best to let it cool completly before turning on again. Plus the warranty we took pays for burnt bulbs for 4 years.
5) I sit about 3 feet from the projector, and don't notice it running unless I turn my audio off, and then you can hear the fan running quietly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:16 pm 
Capper Emeritus

thanks for the info buzz, what I mean by upper and lower limits is what is the closest (smallest screen size) and fartherest (biggest screen size) thats practical for a good pic?? at 81 inches wide that sounds like about a 100-110 inch diagonal screen size you have there...HUGE!......Im gonna have to try one of those out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:44 pm 
WWoW Founder

james7a wrote:
thanks for the info buzz, what I mean by upper and lower limits is what is the closest (smallest screen size) and fartherest (biggest screen size) thats practical for a good pic?? at 81 inches wide that sounds like about a 100-110 inch diagonal screen size you have there...HUGE!......Im gonna have to try one of those out...

I think 14ft is just about the right distance. The further back you go the distortion starts to "fuzz" the pic.
Some links...
http://www.goosystems.com/cgi-bin/ic/go ... d=pdHIsNrj
http://www.boingboing.net/2004/08/31/pa ... reen_.html
http://www.paintstore.com/drpaint/28023.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:37 pm 
Capper Emeritus

Thanks for the info & links...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:27 pm 
Silver Member

I like my projection TV James...I've had my Toshiba widescreen 42" for over a year now and it's been flawless... I'd recommend it to anyone not looking to spend LCD/Plasma dollars.

I do agree thought that nothing beats the old TV tube in terms of picture qaulity.