Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can an ailing DVD recorder be revived?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:41 pm 
Administrator

I doubt if anything can be done, but I thought I'd throw this out there... my Panasonic VHS/DVD recorder (DMR-EZ48V) has a recording lens that's just about had it. For the past few months it would only record to DVD+RW discs, but now the recordings fail to record perhaps once every three times. I do realize that age is a factor here (I've had it for about five years), but is the recording lens repairable in any way, either at home or at a shop? Either way I'll probably be buying a new recordable combo unit soon, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

FWIW, there's nothing wrong with the VHS side (being that it doesn't get used often, and I've rarely used it for VHS to DVD conversion, surprisingly), and the DVD side can still read silver discs without a problem. The worst case scenario is that it goes from a VHS/DVD recorder to a VHS/DVD player, which is nothing to complain about. It's akin to that joke Mitch Hedberg made... an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. :P

Robin Meade Video Dump - Updated 4/21/23

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Can an ailing DVD recorder be revived?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 pm 
Bronze Member

HSF, i don't know but the people on this forum would know: http://www.videohelp.com/

Very good resource.

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:38 pm 
Board Owner

I have a Panasonic DMR-E75V VCR/DVD Recorder. I got it back in 2005 and it has had its quirks recently. The quirks being that it would say a disc I loaded in was an unrecognizable disc. I shut the unit down and when it is in read mode, open the drive to take the questionable disc out and replace it with anther disc from the same batch. I try the "questionable" disc a few recordings later and it records with no problems. There have been a few times that the recording "split" on it own. Those discs I toss since you can't finalize the disc. I am thinking of getting a new VCR/DVD recorder due to these quirks but not rushing since they are not frequent enough. I'll get a new VCR/DVD recorder since they are much cheaper than a stand alone DVD recorder. I hope this helps! :Kool

One final word of advice... If you think your unit is on the last legs, make sure you finalize the DVD as soon as you finish recording onto the DVD or else you won't be able to finalize on another unit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:49 am 
Administrator

The issues started to crop up about a year ago. I used DVD+R discs in the recorder, then one day it was telling me that the +R discs were bad, either failing to record or saying it's bad upon initial reading. I thought that I had a bad batch of discs, but then I tried out a DVD-R disc, whereupon the unit acted like it was recording, but nothing was actually written once stopped. It would only record onto the +RW discs, but the fail rate for them has been increasing more and more the past few months. I just came home from work to find that the screen was frozen on 100% writing after supposedly recording Letterman, which was lost after a hard reset (or whatever you call it when you have to hold the power button for ten seconds). It apparently did the same thing when I tried to record Robin yesterday morning (when she showed leg for the first time in weeks, naturally).

I suppose it's basically just old age finally catching up. Thanks for the feedback, I'll likely buy a new combo unit soon, and my "new" VHS/DVD player will probably go to a new room. And yes, I'd better make sure that all of the random discs I have lying around the room are finalized before the unit finally goes kaput! :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:20 am 
Administrator

FWIW, I bought a new unit yesterday, a Magnavox ZV427MG9. Didn't take me too long to get the hang of it, it has its plus and minuses over the old Panasonic, but it looks to be a good choice. I interestingly found that the old DVD+RWs I had that still had unfinalized video on it would actually play on the new unit, but it wouldn't record unless I reformatted it. Nevertheless, at least I finally have a dependable recorder again.

Perhaps the only downside is that the dependence on rewritable discs was actually saving me money on having to buy regular DVD+R discs. Now I gotta start poring through the Sunday ads again looking for which particular office/electronics stores have their spindles of optical media on sale. :lol: