Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanted on Blu-ray?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:31 am 
Bronze Member

Okay.

So I just purchased a 42" Philips LCD 1080p HDTV and Blu-ray player the day after Christmas.

Wow.

(Really. WOW!)

Not quite sure why I waited so long to make the switch.

Anyway...

I also purchased a few Blu-ray discs that night:

*The Dark Knight
*Eagle Eye
*No Country for Old Men
*Cloverfield
*Sleepy Hollow
*The House Bunny
*Wanted

Now The Dark Knight is the one I viewed first and my jaw literally dropped. Having seen it in theaters, I feel that watching it on Blu-ray, it was much sharper, clearer, and all out looked better.

Eagle Eye was amazing as was No Country for Old Men (the scenic shots were INCREDIBLE).

The House Bunny really looked no better than a regular DVD to me (I even grabbed the case to make sure that I had not made a mistake and purchased a regular disc - but seeing Anna's backside and legs more than made up for it ). Which leads me to make a premature decision to only buy action movies on Blu-ray.

This leads me to my question...

Wanted looked HORRIBLE on Blue-ray. Grainy, not as sharp (The Dark Knight made Wanted look like SD)... just terrible.

I started having trouble with my first player so I thought that might have been the culprit. I returned that player and picked up a Sony (the first was a Magnavox) and also exchanged the original Wanted disc as it was taking forever to load along with the quality issue.

I get home; hook up my new player (HDMI cable on both so that was never the problem) and...

Same issue! LONG loading time and a grainy picture!

All other discs were the same quality as before.

So...

Does anyone here have Wanted on Blu-ray? And if so, what is your take on the quality of it?

*Additional Info*

I never watched Wanted in theaters and once you go HD and Blu-ray... watching a regular television set and DVD makes you just want to sit and cry.

(Seriously)

But if this is indeed the product that Universal released for the film on Blu-ray... shame on them! :Boxing

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:00 am 
WWoW Artist

Though I havent seen the movie, I did find this little info out

Quote:
The feature is framed at 2.35:1 in 1080p resolution encoded with AVC MPEG-4. Timur has shot Wanted on the bright and over-saturated end I suspect was intentional to match the intense colors and visuals of the graphic novel. Colors are rich and strong due to the saturation, especially red blood which pops off the screen.

Though Wanted is a new theatrical release it was filmed with film, not digitally, so there is a generous portion of natural film grain. No post-processing appears to have been employed as I spotted no halos or edge enhancement. The overall presentation is that of a highly detailed yet gritty image which sees no ill effects from being transferred to Blu-ray.

from here
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Wanted_Bl ... eview/3830

So its not your player at all and its not Universal. Its the way it was filmed and sounds like the look they were wanting for the film. Sounds like one of those films better off just purchasing a dvd copy of instead.

I would probably buy high production movies that you know will look great on bly ray, like TDK :mrgreen:
Also check amazon for user reviews before buying a blu ray movie. Most the time the picture quality will be the way it should be, but sometimes you get something you didnt expect. Hope that helps :Kool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:23 am 
Administrator

Yeah, it's got to be the movie. I've got many HD movies I've grabbed from HBO HD, Showtime HD, and Starz HD. Although it's not blu-ray quality, you can see major differences from movie to movie.

Keep in mind sometimes movies are shot with certain filters on purpose for artistic effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:39 am 
WWoW Artist

Agreed. I have a copy of RZ Halloween and it doesnt look much better than the DVD. Although there are some older movies that look great, like Kill Bill Vol1. The scene where Uma and Lucy fight in the snow looks incredible. :Kool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:02 pm 
Bronze Member

ResplendentRegina wrote:

So its not your player at all and its not Universal. Its the way it was filmed and sounds like the look they were wanting for the film. Sounds like one of those films better off just purchasing a dvd copy of instead.

Ahhh... thank you!

As someone who writes for film... that definitely is the difference!

And thank you for the Amazon suggestion. No sense in paying the extra bucks if the movie is going to look the same as a regular DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:14 pm 
WWoW Artist

np :Kool

There is probably a difference between DVD and Blu Ray with Wanted, but sounds like it would be such a small difference. Ive decided that with blu ray, to just buy those that would look kick butt (and of course be a great movie to watch). I would suggest picking up Iron Man on blu ray. Also all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, the Matrix trilogy as well. But if you want one movie for just pure blu ray eye candy, I would say Speed Racer looks absolutely incredible! Though the movie is horrid, but just throwing that out there if you really want to see what your player can do :Kool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:50 pm 
Bronze Member

ResplendentRegina wrote:
np :Kool

I would suggest picking up Iron Man on blu ray. Also all the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, the Matrix trilogy as well. But if you want one movie for just pure blu ray eye candy, I would say Speed Racer looks absolutely incredible! Though the movie is horrid, but just throwing that out there if you really want to see what your player can do :Kool

I was going to purchase Pirates but they were out of stock.

Iron Man I totally forgot about - I will pick that up today!

Speed Racer sounds as if it would look absolutely stunning...

But I think I will just rent that one!

:jetserl