Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice from Vista owners w/tuner cards
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:04 am 
WWoW Artist

Okay just threw down some money on a computer that will be arriving next Wednesday. Since I own an older Hauppauge USB tuner Im sure its not going to work with Vista. So I have a couple of questions....

1) Any advice on Vista in general? Should I be prepared for anything besides older games/components not being compatable?

2) What would be a good tv tuner card to throw in this bad boy. Looking to spend no more than $200, less would be preferred but would be willing to spend up to the $200.

Here are the specs on this little computer....

AMD Athlon X2 4400 (dual core processor 2.3 gig)
2 gig of ram (expandable to 4 gig, if I got Vista 64bit version I can upgrade up to 8 gig of ram).
1 PCI slot available
1 PCI express slot available
1 PCI x16 slot available
integraded HD 7.1 sound (this should do me as I really would upgrade sound last, and would think it would work with a tuner card)
On board ATI Xpress 1200 graphics with 256 mb ram shared memory. (this is probably rock bottom)
320 gig hard drive (already own about 500 gig of external drive space so I am good there.

Would the tv tuner use the ram off my computer or would I need to upgrade to a graphics card as well? Im not going to be doing any gaming on it. This will strictly be used for video capping and editing.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:41 pm 
WWoW Member

Expect all sorts of issues with Vista--not friendly with anything. I recently bought a new PC with Vista Home Premium so I could start capping and have had all sorts of issues.

I don't know if its just my tuner (ATI Wonder), but I continually lose the signal and have to reboot the system in order to get things back up and running.

And that's just the start of things....

(EDIT: Why was this on the top of the board??)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:52 am 
Administrator

I wish I had some advice for you, but everything I got is running XP. The only thing I can tell you is Fusion Gold 7 HDTV tuner and Hauppauge HD PVR are both Vista compatible, but I can't speak for how it will work with the OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:23 am 
WWoW Artist

I have a VisionTek TV Wonder HD 600 USB ATI

Seems to work fine for me. Though you should go to ATI website and update drivers, which Vista did for me automatically. No issues at all. But I do have an ATI HD Video card as well.

It went to the top when you replied to the message ;)

Most on here have XP. So you wont find much support for Vista. Though it doesnt matter anyways when Windows 7 comes out :jetserl