Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I watch new shows and they end up cancelled!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:19 pm 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

So I watched three new shows this seasons. Now it turns out all of them done with or already done with. To start off, I enjoyed Made in Jersey. It went a little too far with the whole fish out of water thing but the lead character was charming and I liked how she used her smarts to solve cases along with her buddy. She was pretty good. Plus any show with Stephanie March is worth looking at. :D But I didn't watch every week and I think this is one of the problems with these ratings systems. I would watch on the OnDemand and I don't think they take that into account. I would wait until the thing was about to go off before watching. Normally that's about 2 or 3 months after the show aired. Yeah, I'm slow. Anyway, my second and third show were my new favorites for this season: Ben & Kate and Emily Owens M.D. B & K was quite funny and had an interesting relationship that we don't often see as the basis for a comedy these days. That is the brother/sister dynamic. I enjoyed that since I have a sister who is close to me in age but a bit different than me. Rather like the characters of Ben and Kate. Plus, it was a funny show and I always enjoy seeing Lucy Punch. Her character was pretty funny. Still it was cancelled. As for Emily Owens, M.D., I had great hopes for this show. I was watching each episode and now I find out it's being cancelled. I had heard rumors a couple of months ago but then it started to reappear after the new year so I figured it was here to stay.I felt that maybe it was on the wrong network from the beginning. It probably should have been on USA or a Lifetime. Too many people compared it to Grey's Anatomy which has been overtaken by the characters finding less time to deal with actual patients and more time with sleeping with each other. Anyway, I liked how it was more on the medical side like Royal Pains although I couldn't watch every scene of medical related stuff. They did do a lot of operations. Anyway, I liked the character of Emily who was flawed but not dramatically or tragically so. Just normal.

So has anybody else have any complaints about shows being cancelled recently that you wish were still around? I mean there are good reasons why shows are cancelled that we fans can understand. The death of the actor playing the main character for example. But still it seems that the stations are allowing less time for shows and audiences to develop. And we who invest time in watching shows wind up getting our hearts broken and we have to contend with more idiotic reality shows. As for me, at least there's How I Met Your Mother for one more season, Scandal, Revenge and Downton Abbey.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: I watch new shows and they end up cancelled!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:35 am 

I usually wait, and then catch up either on ITunes or DVD.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:52 pm 
WWoW Member

I was enjoying Last Resort until ABC pulled the plug.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:18 pm 
Bronze Member

My good man, you are preaching to the choir here. I've complained about this on several boards I frequent; first time here. In fact I just posted a probably too long complaint on one, and I said something to the effect of I don't know why anyone would watch network television at all anymore. It's turned out to be a crapshoot as to whether the show you like will have enough ratings to stay on. Actually from what I've been reading lately it's not just a pure matter of ratings. It's got to be ratings in the right demographic and even how expensive it is to make the show.

For instance I was reading about one show, Vegas. Now, I don't watch that show but my sister-in-law does. Unluckily for her, it appears to be in danger of being cancelled, not because it has low ratings, cause it doesn't, but because they aren't in the prized 18-49 year old demographic. Funny enough, that's where she is, but no matter. They talk about moving it (another matter that I used to complain about more until I joined the rest of the modern world and got a DVR) but they say the production values are too high to merit a move to get a better rating. In other words it's being punished for looking too good. I guess like a movie instead of TV show, plus they've got a story about the past so they've got to pony up for period costumes, prop's, etc. Good grief.

My recent disappointments have been 666 Park Avenue and Don't Trust the B--, which I learned just got cancelled. That one was a comedy, and didn't really have a through-story line, but actually it kind of did, as many, even comedies, have these days, so I was bummed not to see more of the story. Besides, I just enjoyed the humor. But Park Avenue had a mystery to be solved, and even though some people that liked this show on one board I subscribe to claim it did answer some of the questions, it never resolved to my satisfaction, and now I'm mightily peeved. I realize that my tastes may run a little contrary to a lot of the viewing public, and I may prefer some of these shows that require a little more investment and if they turn out to be not as popular I run the risk of not being fulfilled if the story gets cut off. That might bring up another point. I've also read that the problem with some of these shows, like Vegas, didn't create enough "buzz"...you know, like Facebook, Twitter type buzz. Well, holy smokes! One man's buzz is another man's snore. I'm like you Denis, I'd probably celebrate if Honey Boo Boo slid off the face of the earth.

Lucky I like a lot of the stuff on basic cable networks, it seems they tend to keep them on a bit longer, and they seem to offer more quality (whatever the hell that means), although they seem to be going a bit toward the network trend of yanking them if they don't meet some stupid standard besides quality. And I guess I can count myself lucky that I also enjoy sports...you can't cancel a basketball game. And I guess I'm lucky I developed a tasted for some of the stuff I wouldn't be caught dead watching when I was in school, like History and Science Channel and the like. And I'm lucky I like the vast majority of the stuff on premium cable, which IMO is where most of the quality is, whatever, again, that means. And I'm lucky that I live in a time where there's 500 channels catering to almost every niche (hey, where's that Almost Middle Aged Bass Player Channel I been waiting for?) which gives us hope sometimes that something will pop up elsewhere. I enjoyed a show called Damages, Fox cancelled it, it went to DirecTv's Audience network and ran for two more seasons and ended very nicely. Score!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:34 pm 
I've posted THIS MUCH????!!

Join the club Denis, happens to me too once or twice a season. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 pm 
Gold Member

DVR is definitely better then regular Cable but I like Satellite with 500 channels.

Jenna Lee- Avatar
Megyn Kelly- Display Pic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:07 am 
Silver Member

I know the feeling that feeling and what really stinks is when they end in a cliffhanger and there is no resolution to it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:13 am 
Gold Member

I know thats the worst kind.

Jenna Lee- Avatar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:53 pm 
Gold Member

Still happens to me more often than I would like, especially if its a show on Fox. I'm super paranoid if I see a show I think is interesting on there now...it takes me awhile to watch because i'm convinced it will be canceled.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:00 am 
Board Owner

Some shows have ratings that are not good for the broadcast networks but still get picked up by cable networks. Cougar Town is one example (I think). Broadcast Networks have short trigger fingers since they need popular shows to fill the ad space instead of the ads flocking to cable shows like the "Walking Dead", "Mad Men", etc. Univision has had a better Nielsen rating than NBC in the last sweeps period! Yahoo has its own "Adult" series. That tells you that the demographics in viewing habits is changing. Ten years ago you could organize a write in. Not anymore. The perfect barometer for the shows would be our own forum. If not talked about, consider it dead. :Kool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:44 pm 
WWoW Artist

Vote to save your show:
http://www.usatoday.com/topic/9b5544c4- ... our-shows/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:54 pm 

That's pretty good. Online is where to go to spread the word these days. Like Rocky said, word of mouth is key.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:59 pm 
Bronze Member

My favorite was The Finder. Fox shoulda hired him to find them a brain for bein clueless and canceling it

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:15 pm 
Gold Member

I vote to save Vegas and Rebas show.

Jenna Lee- Avatar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:25 am 
Silver Member

PaulaZahnlover wrote:
I vote to save Vegas and Rebas show.

I'd like them to save Hannibal(even though I am ticked at the stunt NBC pulled and didn't air one episode).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:11 am 
WWoW Artist

I saw Smashed and Monday Mornings for two women on the shows and they were canned. Then I also saw Body Of Proof and it got canned. I have no idea if ABC will keep Mistresses around as it is just summer fare. And then the last show with My Name Is Earl's Jamie Pressely was quickly canned as was Up All Night after Christina Applegate quit. So that is life. Also the last two Sarah Chalke shows were canned faster than the word fast. And Joanna Garcia has had no better luck after leaving Reba.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 pm 

Got the last four episodes of 666 Park Avenue the other day. I rather liked it even though it wasn't that great. Still better than the vast majority of tv shows on these days especially the so-called "Reality" ones. I watched only one episode of the Goodwin Games too. I liked that. I guess that was only meant to be a summer show.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:59 pm 
Bronze Member

i am not sure why tv channels only give show about 3 episode before they end them. but you have to take this into consideration. if they do not get enough people watching show they do not get ads to support keeping show around. for some reason if rating are not what they expect for new show or for show they renew they will drop fast since can not get ads dollars to pay for show to made. yes it sucks. also what most people do not understand is. most show get about 3 to 5 show made ahead of time just in case the show does not do well. also give chance to change or taylor to what fans want or see in show.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:11 am 
WWoW Artist

Another show I enjoyed seeing was Eyes on ABC in 2005, gone after five shows. It had a lot of great things going for them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 pm 
WWoW Artist

Dallas was canned recently which was sad. But on the other hand, Debra Messing has a much better show now with Mysteries of Laura than Smashed.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next