Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Remembering Alison Parker and Adam Ward. 5 years ago today.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:26 pm 
Silver Member

Both murdered on live TV while at Smith Mountain Lake.

http://www.facebook.com/wdbj7/posts/10158104875792217

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Remembering Alison Parker and Adam Ward. 5 years ago to
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:58 pm 
Silver Member

It's sad what happened especially since the shooter was a co-worker for those two. It can be a dangerous especially with how reporters/news crew were wounded, arrest, and beaten during the George Floyd protest/riots.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:59 am 
Bronze Member

good point, i remember after this happened there was a lot of talk about stations providing security for crews in the field.
that clearly went by the wayside.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:25 am 
Silver Member

I'll never forget that morning. Didn't see it live, but heard about it at work. Saw a small portion of what Adam shot on a coworker's phone. Where the murder took place is very close to me. Right at the edge of Bedford County at Bridgewater Marina.

What shocked me were all the videos that came out saying that the video was a hoax. How insane is that! Saying that the murder was a hoax in order to gain ratings. Hopefully there will be a very special, warm place for all those people one day.

And God bless people like Kimberly McBroom, who is News7 Mornin's anchor. She was the first witness to the shooting. Remembering the look on her face, and having to quickly cut away to continue. I've never seen any video of what happened on the broadcast afterward, but it must have been horrifying trying to continue.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:24 am 
Silver Member

Also, didn't her boyfriend who was an anchor at the time witness that as well? Now, he a politician. I wonder why news stations didn't have security for news crews (probably because of costs). How many news crews are out and about on a given day? I believe news stations should either hired a in-house psychatrist or have a psychatrist on call.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:02 pm 
Bronze Member

newsguy wrote:
I wonder why news stations didn't have security for news crews (probably because of costs). How many news crews are out and about on a given day?

Local stations have 3 to 6 news crews out per day, probably 1 to 3 at night, and they also use MMJs, which are essentially one-man bands, not even a 2-person crew.
And yes it’s all to save money.
Security doesn’t exist in most places for the same reason.

I’ve long thought both victims’ families would’ve had a solid lawsuit against the station for NOT providing any protection or security.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:31 pm 
Silver Member

hanley wrote:
newsguy wrote:
I wonder why news stations didn't have security for news crews (probably because of costs). How many news crews are out and about on a given day?

Local stations have 3 to 6 news crews out per day, probably 1 to 3 at night, and they also use MMJs, which are essentially one-man bands, not even a 2-person crew.
And yes it’s all to save money.
Security doesn’t exist in most places for the same reason.

I’ve long thought both victims’ families would’ve had a solid lawsuit against the station for NOT providing any protection or security.

The lady that they were interviewing, Vicki Gardner, sued WDBJ for 6 million in damages, but the case was dismissed.
http://smithmountainlake.com/news/local ... bffa0.html

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:00 pm 
Jedi Knight

The thing to remember in this incident was that the murderer was known to the two reporters.

The likelihood of it happening again when a reporter is on a hit doing one of those typical morning show features is very small, so adding security to each crew is not a viable option.

The only time stations should consider added security is for covering protests and riots. You'll see some of the network reporters go out with security in those cases.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:14 pm 
Bronze Member

Good points, another problem is that especially on these local morning shows where they are covering or promoting some feature type event, they will often say something like “we are live at the zoo and we’ll be here all morning,” which is essentially announcing to any stalker or nutcase where they can find you and do damage if they are so inclined.
Same for radio hosts and DJs (if those still exist) who do “remotes.”
I’m actually surprised this kind of thing doesn’t happen more often.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:17 pm 
Silver Member

mphillp wrote:
The thing to remember in this incident was that the murderer was known to the two reporters.

The likelihood of it happening again when a reporter is on a hit doing one of those typical morning show features is very small, so adding security to each crew is not a viable option.

The only time stations should consider added security is for covering protests and riots. You'll see some of the network reporters go out with security in those cases.

The shooter was a former reporter/anchor at the station who had it out both of them. Also, haven't seen security during George Floyd's protest/riots and news crews were arrest, shot it, and beaten.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:52 pm 
Silver Member

hanley wrote:
Good points, another problem is that especially on these local morning shows where they are covering or promoting some feature type event, they will often say something like “we are live at the zoo and we’ll be here all morning,” which is essentially announcing to any stalker or nutcase where they can find you and do damage if they are so inclined.
Same for radio hosts and DJs (if those still exist) who do “remotes.”
I’m actually surprised this kind of thing doesn’t happen more often.

Some of it are a necessary evil like promo events where stations send their talent to meet with the general public for an event they're sponsoring or promoting the morning show. Also, charity events (though most of these are a bit pricey to attend). I've actually met some anchors though those events. Also, I did see a local Radio co-hosts do a live event at a college football game. Also, those live shots you're talking about usually are at places that aren't opened yet (at least in the morning) though still considering. Also, I'm surprised it hasn't more often especially since some people have attacked the media.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:43 pm 
Bronze Member

Even if the place isn’t open right away, it will open eventually and even if it doesn’t you still know the person is in there and has to come out eventually.

-MelvinMoogleman