Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The very complex issue of "hot" mics
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:48 am 
WWoW Artist

It happens to even some people who are honest to hear, both on and off camera.

Way back in December 1988, longtime veteran Ford C. Frick Hall of Fame baseball announcer (and recently retired) Marty Brennaman mentioned a word on the air prior to Kentucky having some of their basketball games airing on a regional cable channel.
His boss called him up and gave him the names and each mailing address of four couples that were living in Florida that watched the game. He ended up writing each of the couples and they each accepted his apology.

But in recent years--thanks in large part to social media, two individuals immediately come to mind:

Marty's son, Thom Brennaman of the Cincinnati Reds did it leading out of a commercial break in the first game of a doubleheader on Wednesday night--even sounding very bitter after calling a home run virtually in Kansas City.
As a result, the Reds suspended him and Fox removed him from announcing games during the NFL season.

On a totally different subject:

Last November, Project Veritas dug up something that Amy Robach mentioned about the entire Jeffrey Epstein ordeal and said some words that were best left unsaid. It was clearly shown in subtitles while sitting at the anchor desk one evening that August.

After that horrible turn of events, she crafted a well worded apology and is still on the air.

My main point is, this is not 1950. As divided this country is, we (meaning, we as a society) have a long, long way to go in terms of people learning, educating, and slowly gaining back the trust from people and groups who were taken back or were offended.

It has also happened a lot in other industries as well, namely in music and several TV shows through the years--too numerous to mention.

The bottom line is simple for anyone to type, but very difficult to execute in real time:

Words matter.
Words create perceptions.
Too often, perception is reality.

I only mention this out of concern. It is sad to see how this world has become so sensitive where one misstep can cost you not just your career, let alone other people's perceptions.

Besides, what else is there to say?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The very complex issue of "hot" mics
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:03 pm 
Bronze Member

the hot mic only reveals who these people really are and how they really feel

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:34 pm 
WWoW Artist

hanley wrote:
the hot mic only reveals who these people really are and how they really feel

Agreed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:59 pm 
WWoW Artist

In Amy's case, you are absolutely 100 percent correct.

All we saw of Amy when a random GMA employee asked about her reporting of the Jeffrey Epstein case was seeing her shake her head in disbelief.

All Thom did was try to do a hard read--in other words, doing some local advertisement. He said the 3 letter word rather emphatically, but definitely not without any extra emotion behind it until after the fact.

Bottom line, it is such a hot button topic--but as long as any word we are not allowed to say is shoved to the back of our brains, the better.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:01 pm 
Bronze Member

bigzman wrote:
In Amy's case, you are absolutely 100 percent correct.

All we saw of Amy when a random GMA employee asked about her reporting of the Jeffrey Epstein case was seeing her shake her head in disbelief.

All Thom did was try to do a hard read--in other words, doing some local advertisement. He said the 3 letter word rather emphatically, but definitely not without any extra emotion behind it until after the fact.

Bottom line, it is such a hot button topic--but as long as any word we are not allowed to say is shoved to the back of our brains, the better.

No there was nothing emphatic, he was clearly joking around with the crew during the break which tells me he thinks that kind of thing is OK to joke about, which tells me all I need to know about him as a person

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:32 pm 
I've posted THIS MUCH????!!

OK, again PC gone too far. Yes he said it. Yes its derogatory. No its not uncommon. "People who live in glass houses shouldnt throw stones" Feel sure these media censors are every bit as bad. Point in thought, since the term used means a gay male, why is gay an acceptable word in their associations acronym?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:41 pm 
Bronze Member

Another problem is that none of these media companies ever think to have a policy in place before it happens, they always have to react after it happens and that will always lead to inconsistency.
This guy should be fired but let’s say that he isn’t; then the station is basically saying we’re OK with people saying this on air.
At least once anyway.
So if he says it once he’s OK but if he says it a second time, he’s out?
So then can every other person who works there say it once as well before they get fired?
Seems like they should be able to.
But is that what we really want?

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:46 am 
WWoW Artist

If you saw the clip involving Thom Brennaman, he meant to say something else.

But you are right in the fact that we live in this "virtual court" or "Twitter court of opinion" and finger point at the first sign of misusing a word or a sentence.

And if the company (companies) that employ him thought otherwise, we would be discussing a slightly different topic.

The point I was trying to make is that, regardless of the subject matter--it is one thing to read off a script. But it is totally different for those people who have to ad lib.

Besides, podcasters have to do it all the time.
Fortunately, the Anchor app has a pair of filters--clean or adult like so they can act like Howard Stern or whomever enjoys to cuss every fourth or fifth word.

The old adage of "one bad apple ruins the whole bunch" definitely again applies in this case. And Thom will have to educate himself and learn how to get along with the groups that he hurt mentioning that word live on the air.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:54 am 
WWoW Artist

I wish political correctness were not confused with basic human decency. When you use a slur again a group or a person, particularly a group that has been discriminated against or treated as second class citizens, and are called on it that's not about political correctness and the fact that it's common or uncommon doesn't matter, it's derogatory and the person saying it deserves to be called out for it being ugly. Humor doesn't make any better either. At the very least a sincere real apoglogy is called for and not one with a but or an if in it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:52 am 
WWoW Artist

Agreed 100 percent.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:36 am 
Bronze Member

No way does this magically and mysteriously come flying out of your mouth for no reason at age 54.
I have no doubt he’s used that word many times in private conversation, so I have a hard time feeling bad for him now that he got caught saying it publicly.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:39 am 
Bronze Member

bigzman wrote:
If you saw the clip involving Thom Brennaman, he meant to say something else.

In his many fake apologies, I have yet to see him say that he meant to say something else, he’s admitted he said the word and said he was “ashamed.”

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:01 pm 
Silver Member

I'm sure there's been people who have been fired for saying stuff they're shouldn't have said in a regular/office job.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:45 pm 
WWoW Artist

Isn't that the truth?
As my subject line clearly mentions, this is still going to be one hot topic.

newsguy wrote:
I'm sure there's been people who have been fired for saying stuff they're shouldn't have said in a regular/office job.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:52 pm 
WWoW regular

Who here is old enough to recall this issue causing the removal of LA Dodgers exec Al Campanis and CBS NFL commentator Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:15 pm 
Silver Member

Thigh High wrote:
Who here is old enough to recall this issue causing the removal of LA Dodgers exec Al Campanis and CBS NFL commentator Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder ?

Not really but I heard about and seen their videos of their comments. Heck, 30 for 30 (ESPN series) talked about Jimmy the Greek which included that incident. Also, I believe Campanis was sauced during that interview.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:37 am 
WWoW Artist

I recall both instances:

Ted Koppel grilled Al Capanis on April 6, 1987 during Nightline. Ken Burns brought it up during the 1994 PBS documentary series. Once Al brought up the comments about the then lack of black managers, he was fired from the Dodgers less than 48 hours later. He died in June 1998.

As for Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder, he rose through the ranks in gambling circles for upwards of three decades before joining the then #1 pregame show from CBS on The NFL Today beginning in the show's second season in 1976.

I was too young to remember the early years when he popularized the betting lines leading up to kickoff, but Wikipedia highlighted that, "He had conflicts with Brent Musburger (whom he once punched in the face at a bar when the show anchor insulted his intelligence) and Phyllis George (may she RIP, whom he once brought to tears before a show by making a comment about her husband, leading to Jimmy taping his segments with Musburger in advance so that he and George were not on the set at the same time).

The Greek was fired in January 1988, a few days after Walter Payton played his last game with the Chicago Bears when he made several insensitive remarks about the black athlete being superior to WRC TV reporter Ed Hotaling. I can still recall being stunned after watching that news report gain national headlines.

He then tried to sue CBS in 1991 for age discrimination, defamation, and breach of contract. After losing that case, his health began to deteriorate suffering from diabetes. He died in April 1996 of a heart attack fittingly enough in Las Vegas.

Again, they were both on camera interviews.
We are strawing away from the main topic on seeing or hearing anyone on a "hot mic" where they least expect it and the cameras are still on during a commercial break.

Not to sound harsh, but let's get with the (virtual) program :) .
newsguy wrote:
Thigh High wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:39 pm 
WWoW Artist

Turns out there were some other questionable words that were uttereed earlier during this shortened 60 game season:

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/the-brennaman-era-in-cincinnati-didnt-have-to-potentially-end-this-way.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:01 am 
Silver Member

Thigh High wrote:

Sad part about Campanis was he was teamates with Jackie Robinson actually played next to him (he was a shortstop and Robinson was a second baseman).