Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Following in the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:42 pm 
WWoW Artist

From Miss Americana herself, Taylor Swift came out swinging with a lyric video titled "The Man" with the many challenges that women face on a daily basis.

Bottom line from watching the video, no matter how we as fans enjoy talking about the women we see on camera:

1) They need to be given a chance to succeed at whatever profession to strive in their chosen field. If they have shown that they are more than capable to fit right in, I say more power to them. Besides, the general dynamic changes faster than we can snap our fingers as the true perception is showed through a different set of lens. We all saw it in school (albeit in a mostly corny and peculiar way) and sometimes being inside a crowded elevator. But you get my point.
The thing I get the most is when they are told to give a great first impression in any job fair or interview is to emulate their local TV news anchor(s)--in what many fashion publications and websites constantly refer to as "the conservative look."

2) They need men to show empathy (another very complex subject) and learn how to respect them--especially more so in this social media era. Unlike those movie and TV scenes where we see a darkened bar or glaring strobe lights inside a nightclub--it feels that every time a man goes to approach a woman and either recites some "cheesy" pick-up lines or just simply "freezes". By that point, we either have to "man up", or face the fear that it feels like we are walking on eggshells. One bad crack and a long, carefully worded apology could be next. And I know from personal experience, they don't like to wait.

3) Yes, women are "wired' differently than guys. Guys know how to have fun and when to get serious. As what Lady Gaga depicted in the remake of A Star is Born--men can have a beard and wear casual clothes, just as long as you have a good singing voice.

Women on the other hand not only need to have a great singing voice, but they have to look gorgeous and beautiful to be accepted. It's a double-edged sword that most women have to fight each and every day, sometimes every hour in private--even if they don't use their smartphones.

Bottom line, as I said in another thread when the reviews to the movie Bombshell came out, the stories of women suffering against their male bosses and sometimes their co-workers is just sad, really sad.

Those are my thoughts. I am curious to read what you have to say after seeing her lyric video:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/taylor-swift-the-man-lyric-video-949495/

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Following in the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:00 pm 
I've posted THIS MUCH????!!

Extremely well written and factual. Almost every woman in the country would agree with you. Just not all sure they all deserve it. They do know where their power is focused. They can often be their own worst enemies.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:04 pm 
Silver Member

Some of the women we talked about either here (or other boards) are gone because of the actions of their male co-workers or they (the women) get tired of this :censor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:41 am 
WWoW Artist

And in the cases of the three Fox News ladies who were depicted in the Bombshell movie, men who have bigger egos than you-know and what happened at CBS, Andrea Tantaros with her book Tied Up in Knots with Mandy Moore's ex-husband, the list goes on and on.

To me, it is so alarming--no matter how our backgrounds are and any lacking of experience, etc. I think watching plenty of YouTube subjects and reading some very timely books on how men should treat women, no matter what the setting (in business, weddings, etc.) has to be handled carefully.

Easier said than done. I have no other way I can say it, but thanks for the replies. Let us keep this dialogue going so we can see what path lies ahead.

newsguy wrote:
Some of the women we talked about either here (or other boards) are gone because of the actions of their male co-workers or they (the women) get tired of this :censor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:12 am 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

Very good post and I agree. Though sometimes I fear some actors are jumping on the moral power of #MeToo to smuggle in a prudish anti-sexual agenda such as the fall of the grid girls in F1 and in Darts or stigmatising nudity or showing flesh in an erotic/sexual way because it is "objectification" and appeals to the "male gaze", which would not help women who are victims of abuse and harassment, but restrict erotic freedom of whom will include women. Not just saying this out of self interest ;) but otherwise I agree with you.

ImageImage Image

أنا قد لا يؤمنون بالله ولكن رؤية النساء العربيات يجعلني عجب.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 pm 
Silver Member

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/nbc-je ... e0xh8np93k