Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Could HLN disappear?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:02 pm 
WWoW Artist

According to the Sports Business Journal website, WarnerMedia could be changing either HLN or TruTV to a channel covering golf.

If the deal is approved by the PGA, it could take effect as early as 2022.

I definitely hate to say it, but it might be the end of Robin Meade Express :o .

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/SB-Blogs/Newsletter-Media/2019/07/29.aspx

On the other hand, if TruTV disappears--a good chunk each March of the NCAA men's basketball tournament will have to go elsewhere.

Perhaps ESPN, who has not aired any live men's tournament games since 1990 could be back in the mix?

Just a thought.

Last edited by bigzman on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Could HLN disappear?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:02 pm 
I've posted THIS MUCH????!!

When HLN carries better ratings than CNN, kind of doubt they go anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:13 pm 
Silver Member

A few things, isn't there a Golf Channel already? It's redundant, there's not going to be another Football network, Baseball network etc. As for HLN going, I hope not but remember CNN tried this years ago with those new shows that had nothing to do with news like a game show hosted by Summer Sanders, a travel show with those two good looking ladies, and one with a youtube star and during that time the CNN brass tried to coax Robin Meade to move to New York to co-host the morning show with Chris Cuomo with an eight-figure salary. If she took that job, CNN Atlanta would have been no more with thousands of people losing their jobs, Christi Paul is an anchor in a station in Atlanta, Susan Hendricks would be running Hencar with her hubby and who knows what Lynn Smith, Elizabeth Prann, and Shyann Malone would be during. Luckily Robin stood her ground and HLN along with CNN Atlanta is still there and CNN put money into the studio in Atlanta. I wonder if this an excuse for CNN to get rid their Atlanta studio and move everything to New York.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:19 pm 
Administrator

I currently can't get the link the load for some reason, but if it's true and MXP goes away, I'm sure CNN would find something for Robin. She always says that she'd like to do a morning show in the afternoon. :lol:

I realize that MXP can't last forever, or at least being hosted by Robin, but she would deserve a better fate than this.

Robin Meade Video Dump - Updated 4/21/23

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:36 pm 
Silver Member

HSF wrote:
I currently can't get the link the load for some reason, but if it's true and MXP goes away, I'm sure CNN would find something for Robin. She always says that she'd like to do a morning show in the afternoon. :lol:

I realize that MXP can't last forever, or at least being hosted by Robin, but she would deserve a better fate than this.

There's a link from CNN Commentary

https://cnncommentary.com/2019/07/29/co ... f-channel/

Also true about Robin (and Christi, Susan, Lynn, among others) but I don't think they care about that sadly.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:34 pm 
WWoW Artist

Yes, there already is a 24 hour Golf Channel--fully controlled by NBC Universal.

But it is worth mentioning--how much is too much?

Back in the early 1980's--besides CNN and Headline News, there was also the short-lived Satellite News Channel.

After less than 2 years, three 24 hour news channels was too much. From what both HSF and newsguy have been saying, HLN has mostly disappeared with all hours outside of MXP being crime dramas and other programming very few people would watch (at least, IMHO).

Besides, I am pretty sure that Robin will definitely find something to finish out her career. The article is something to think about just in case.

Last edited by bigzman on Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:03 am 
Silver Member

bigzman wrote:
Yes, there already is a 24 hour Golf Channel--fully controlled by NBC Universal.

But it is worth mentioning--how much is too much? Back in the early 1980's, besides CNN and Headline News, there was also the short-lived Satellite News Channel.

After less than 2 years, three 24 hour news channels was too much. From what both HSF and newsguy have been saying, HLN has mostly disappeared with all hours outside of MXP being crime dramas and other programming very few people would watch (at least, IMHO).

Besides, I am pretty sure that Robin will definitely find something to finish out her career. The article is something to think about just in case.

Well there's two hours of Morning Express with other hosts 10-noon and Lynn Smith with On the Story 12-2 and a crime edition of OTS with Mike Galanos 2-3 but you're right after three it's nothing but crime shows. Honestly, I'm more concern about the other anchors outside of Robin. Outside of Mike Galanos (whose kids are grown I believe) and Robin, the rest of the anchors/talent have young kids and more than won't uproot to New York given that option (well Susan Hendricks is also running a company as well). I feel bad for the two anchors who started not even a year ago in Shyann Malone and Elizabeth Prann. Granted yes they're OK until 2022 but still. Not even Robin wanted to move to New York. I think I said something earlier that she would rather be the morning show host in Nashville or Atlanta than go to New York or set up a National Talk Show in Atlanta.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:28 am 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

newsguy wrote:
bigzman wrote:

But it is worth mentioning--how much is too much? Back in the early 1980's, besides CNN and Headline News, there was also the short-lived Satellite News Channel.

Outside of Mike Galanos (whose kids are grown I believe) and Robin, the rest of the anchors/talent have young kids and more than won't uproot to New York given that option (well Susan Hendricks is also running a company as well). I feel bad for the two anchors who started not even a year ago in Shyann Malone and Elizabeth Prann.

Elizabeth Prann is married to Darren O'Day of the Braves
I wouldn't worry too much about her ;)

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:05 pm 
Silver Member

sparty wrote:
newsguy wrote:
bigzman wrote:

Outside of Mike Galanos (whose kids are grown I believe) and Robin, the rest of the anchors/talent have young kids and more than won't uproot to New York given that option (well Susan Hendricks is also running a company as well). I feel bad for the two anchors who started not even a year ago in Shyann Malone and Elizabeth Prann.

Elizabeth Prann is married to Darren O'Day of the Braves
I wouldn't worry too much about her ;)

He's more than likely going to retire soon, she'll need to be the breadwinner unless he goes into coaching or runs a baseball camp in Atlanta.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:29 pm 
WWoW Artist

We did talk about in a past thread about HLN possibly moving their shows to New York.

What do we make out of that situation--but if HLN disappears, then that discussion is moot. Just saying.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:57 pm 
WWoW regular

While I like the anchors on HLN, its really a useless station. What they should do is move the HLN talent to CNN, and cut loose some of the talent on CNN (Christine Romans, Poppy Harlow, etc).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:25 pm 
Administrator

It's true that the main purpose of HLN has been significantly watered down the last decade or so, the main purpose of the network used to be all the main headlines once each hour. Morning (and Weekend) Express is the last remaining remnant of that format, while everything else is specialized news shows and crime shows/documentaries. The network fell off a lot of people's radars after Nancy Grace left. If HLN does fold or get retooled, I honestly can't say I'd be surprised. But remember, it's still nothing but speculation at this point and anything can happen in two years.

With Robin as their most recognizable asset, I'm pretty sure CNN would welcome her in some capacity, provided she wants to continue her career at that point. And Darren O'Day has been on the IL the entire season so far, so Elizabeth better still have a gig by then.
FWIW, O'Day has been in the majors since 2008, but experienced a setback in his rehab and won't be back until late in the season. He could still have some gas left in him if there's no complications, and most teams wouldn't mind a slinging sidearm pitcher out of the bullpen.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... da01.shtml

Robin Meade Video Dump - Updated 4/21/23

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:28 pm 
Bronze Member

O’Day appears to be OK
https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/atlanta-bra ... oday-5392/

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:14 am 
Silver Member

You had to know it was OVER the minute they tried to sell crap like QVC......... HLN Deals? Guess you couldn't even sell commercial time.......... And then the "Deals" were so bad, they dropped it.......... And frankly, all of CNN is Joke....... but it gives us some hot bodies to look at.......... and Robin is 50....... HLN is like 20? I turn it on for ONE reason..... Who is hosting and what is she wearing........ Hot Robin! Hot Prann? Hot Christi? Hot Hendricks? failing that I'm hitting the reverse button back to Fox.........

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:04 pm 
WWoW Artist

I hear you, Jay Z.

Of course, there are plenty of Robin Meade/Jennifer Westhoven/Elizabeth Prann/Lynn Smith clips to savor.

The way I see it--cable channels are leaving right and left, and us as consumers are holding the bottom portion of the bag. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:58 pm 
Silver Member

Not only HLN but CNN Atlanta could disappear as well. Would be nice if HLN and TruTV merger and HLN could do 6 AM-3 PM (or 6 AM-2 PM maybe even 7AM to 2PM) on weekdays and TruTv can have the rest of that time. Weekends 7 to noon.

Last edited by newsguy on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:37 am 
Gold Member

I watch it for Forensic Files, and other crime shows like Very Scary People, but I'll have repeats of forensic files on if nothing is on most nights.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:02 pm 
Bronze Member

FWIW, another schedule change:
https://twitter.com/LynnSmithTV/status/ ... 7477133319

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:58 pm 
Silver Member

What's going to be at Noon?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:17 pm 
WWoW regular

I'm going to sound like a jerk here, and I invite the mods to delete this post if it's deemed out-of-bounds

The primary reason HLN has yet to change its format to full-time crime shows is due to the sustained, if mediocre, ratings delivered by Morning Express—and the reason Morning Express has its reliable viewership is largely attributable to Robin Meade and the way she looks. That’s a lot of pressure on one person, and she’s been carrying that burden for 20 years now.

To be clear, I think she’s as gorgeous as ever. I stopped tuning into her show a few years ago in favor of podcasts, but I still check the Venerable HSF's posts on this site almost daily. It’s incredible that this woman is 50. She also seems like a genuinely good person--something of a rarity in today’s media. At this point in her career, Robin has made more money than she’ll ever need. She has other hobbies and pursuits I’m sure she prefers over waking up at 3 am to deliver the news for the 10,000th time. Her main motivation for coming back every year might be out of the well-founded fear that her retirement spells the end of HLN and the employment of those who work there.

So, HLN exists because Robin Meade delivers ratings, and Robin Meade delivers ratings because she’s incredibly attractive (and a fine reporter with a fun personality too.) But—and here’s the me potentially being a jerk part—Robin choosing to wear increasingly modest and/or comfortable clothing, donning what looks like a wig instead of showing up early to sit for hair and makeup, and taking extended vacations, are all signs to me that she’s on her way out. She has never worn anything too sexy or unprofessional on air (sadly), but until recently she always took great pride in her appearance and a few times a year would provide her viewers with a renewed incentive for tuning in by wearing something that was, at least by her standards, revealing.

Sure, she’s always done the all-black dress-down on Mondays. But lately she wears that Monday attire almost every day, just not necessarily in the Monday color. It’s entirely her choice, of course, to go this route, and obviously I’d never wish her anything but the best no matter how she dresses. But, as I reasoned earlier, the show and channel will suffer. There are too many other options in the morning that have a better format, production quality, variety, and entertainment value. There are probably over 25 people who work on Morning Express, but the show draws fewer than 200k viewers per day. If that number drops more, HLN won’t be able to justify all those salaries, and it’ll be forced to pull the plug on the show and change the channel’s format. Again, a lot of burden on one person’s shoulders.

Thoughts?