Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HLN cancels live programming
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:26 pm 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

Well, except for Robin:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/exclusive-h ... -banfield/

ImageImage

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: HLN cancels live programming
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:45 pm 
Bronze Member

Feel bad for the people now unemployed but can’t say I’ll miss any of those canceled shows.
Surprised “On the Story” survived... another snoozer.... esp since it was created for Hill who’s now off it.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:12 pm 
WWoW Artist

I think HSF should be very happy with this news, and I quote from the Mediaite site:

"Morning Express, the network’s flagship morning show hosted by Meade, will expand its hours from 6 a.m. to noon (it currently airs from 6 to 10 a.m.), and On the Story will expand to noon-3 p.m., taking over Costello’s time slot. It will continue be hosted in the interim by a roster of anchors, since former host Erica Hill left to CNN in April.

After 3 p.m. on weekdays, HLN will consist entirely of taped programming. HLN will also be shutting down live production in New York and Los Angeles and moving to Atlanta. On weekends, Weekend Express, hosted by Lynn Smith, will continue to air live from 7 a.m. to noon."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:12 pm 
Bronze Member

This channel was the gold-standard for good looking women at one time. CNN is trash now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:19 pm 
WWoW Artist

Yes, with Lynne Russell being the number one reason to watch Headline News during most of the 1990's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:32 pm 
Silver Member

So sorry, but not that sorry.

Carol Costello was total "meh;" her subs showed more leg than she ever did.

Ashleigh was the easiest on the eyes of the three, but just reading the chyrons on her show...//CRINGE!!! Just a better-looking Nancy Grace.

The less said about Michela the better.

Best of wishes to all the ladies...not necessarily their fault HLN was never more than CNN's spoiled little brother.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:41 pm 
I've posted THIS MUCH????!!

Other than Robin, none were really worth the time anyway. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:19 am 
Administrator

Obviously I'm glad Robin didn't get the axe, but I still have sympathy for the ones that were let go, whether they were covered on this board or not. I'm also going to assume that the new sixth hour will be another repeat of the fourth hour.

With these changes, it makes me wonder how much life the network has left. I can see why the network's name was truncated to HLN, as it's no longer fully focused on headline news.

Robin Meade Video Dump - Updated 4/21/23

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:04 am 
WWoW regular

HSF wrote:
With these changes, it makes me wonder how much life the network has left. I can see why the network's name was truncated to HLN, as it's no longer fully focused on headline news.

Agreed. Robin’s popularity is the only reason the channel still exists. Meade is almost 50, has plenty of money, and seems to have lots of other interests/hobbies. Maybe she’s wanted to leave but knows the network dies on her exit and feels an obligation to her coworkers. Still, there’s no way she’d be willing to do more live hours. My guess is the network will be rebranded/sold-off to focus exclusively on murder mysteries and court dramas within a year or two.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:09 pm 
WWoW Artist

That's what it appears to be heading.
If most people aren't watching, what is the point?

And we will see after the first four hours whether or not it will remain live or just a replay of some of the best segments from the day. Something to look out for come the 29th.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:17 pm 
Bronze Member

is anyone really watching On the Story or Weekend Express?
how did those survive?

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:42 pm 
Bronze Member

hanley wrote:
how did those survive?

On the Story is pretty much dead, ever since Erica left. As for Weekend Express, Lynn is the reason to watch it. Now that she's going to go to maternity leave, it might not be as interesting to watch. The show is really just a natural weekend continuation of the daily Morning Express, which is obviously their strongest (and only remaining) card.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:34 am 
Silver Member

DonR wrote:
hanley wrote:
how did those survive?

On the Story is pretty much dead, ever since Erica left. As for Weekend Express, Lynn is the reason to watch it. Now that she's going to go to maternity leave, it might not be as interesting to watch. The show is really just a natural weekend continuation of the daily Morning Express, which is obviously their strongest (and only remaining) card.

On the Story: From what I've seen (thx Neron P), OTS only good if Susan Hendricks or Christi Paul are filling in for Carol. Susan and Christi were willing to show leg, while Carol preferred the desk.

Weekend Express: Oh, look, it's Christi and Susan as fill-ins for Lynn! Maybe even Jennifer Westhoven will come in to tape an hour on a Saturday if the other two ladies can't make it.

Reading the other comments on this thread, I think HLN is somewhere between "comfortably numb" and comatose right now. Nine hours of their version of "live news" plus courtroom/crime dramas does not a network make (anybody know how TruTV is doing these days?). Not sure of Robin's contract status, but is she going to want to "carry the torch" for a near-obsolete cable network? Also, is she looking at co-anchors (and mommies) Jen, Christi, and Susan, and wondering how much time is left on her biological clock? Are said mommies also thinking about interviewing with the mothership (or msnbc or Fox) or just being stay-at-home moms?

So, so much to think about... :TickTock :TickTock :TickTock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:18 am 
Silver Member

wineguy wrote:
HSF wrote:

Agreed. Robin’s popularity is the only reason the channel still exists. Meade is almost 50, has plenty of money, and seems to have lots of other interests/hobbies. Maybe she’s wanted to leave but knows the network dies on her exit and feels an obligation to her coworkers. Still, there’s no way she’d be willing to do more live hours. My guess is the network will be rebranded/sold-off to focus exclusively on murder mysteries and court dramas within a year or two.

True because remember Jeff Zucker wanted Robin to be on the CNN morning show to replace Michaela I believe so much so that Zucker offered Robin a "blank check". She said no otherwise Christi is probably an anchor for a local station in Atlanta, Susan is probably full-time at Hencar, and about hundreds of other people lose their jobs. I think one of the main reasons Robin stayed was she didn't want to leave Atlanta to go to New York. Also when HLN tried to rebrand with new shows a few years back, those shows sucked in the ratings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:59 am 
Silver Member

LongJohnScotty wrote:
DonR wrote:
hanley wrote:
how did those survive?

On the Story: From what I've seen (thx Neron P), OTS only good if Susan Hendricks or Christi Paul are filling in for Carol. Susan and Christi were willing to show leg, while Carol preferred the desk.

Weekend Express: Oh, look, it's Christi and Susan as fill-ins for Lynn! Maybe even Jennifer Westhoven will come in to tape an hour on a Saturday if the other two ladies can't make it.

Reading the other comments on this thread, I think HLN is somewhere between "comfortably numb" and comatose right now. Nine hours of their version of "live news" plus courtroom/crime dramas does not a network make (anybody know how TruTV is doing these days?). Not sure of Robin's contract status, but is she going to want to "carry the torch" for a near-obsolete cable network? Also, is she looking at co-anchors (and mommies) Jen, Christi, and Susan, and wondering how much time is left on her biological clock? Are said mommies also thinking about interviewing with the mothership (or msnbc or Fox) or just being stay-at-home moms?

So, so much to think about... :TickTock :TickTock :TickTock

I don't think Christi and Susan will move to New York or Washington, those ladies have been in Atlanta for over 15 years now (well Susan has been on and off HLN since 2002). So I think they would be either working at Hencar (Susan's company with her hubby) and/or local TV in Atlanta. Stay at home mom might be what Christi does though I think the CNN shows are safe (for now). Jen, I'm not really sure. As for Robin, it's not about the money otherwise Robin would have been in New York and the ladies mentioned are doing other things.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 pm 
Silver Member

Also, what's going to happen to the current crop of Talent besides Robin, Lynn, and whoever takes over for On the Story? Really hope Mike isn't given the On the story job. Granted Christi is on the weekends on CNN so she'll be safe. Susan could be either the super sub or take over OTS or go to Hencar fulltime. Also, what's going to happen with Carol, Michaela, and Ashleigh? Anyone care? At least CNN kept SE.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:38 pm 
Silver Member

Dianne was in for Carol (guessing Carol is gone now) and Michaela was there.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:14 pm 
Silver Member

So, this is what we call...THE POSTSCRIPT.

From what the original article said, all three ladies are gone after today.

Took this rare off-day to see their "curtain calls:"

Missed Carol's. If anybody caught this, did I really miss anything.

Caught the last half hour of MicheLA. Her last story: A man who found his Vietnam Vet father after 50 years.

At 4:48 pm.m, she said an extended goodbye and thank you to everybody. Michele had 5800 guests in two years? How did that happen.

Looking at her last clips, she was the "warn and fuzzy" show when everybody got tired of the "if it bleeds, it leads" stuff.

Nice touch for the HLN crew in ATL to tune in for her good-bye.

...aaand it looks like Ashleigh's last night on the air was Thursday (last night), because there's nothing on tonight but the usual HSN crime BS (How It Happened and a thousand reruns of Forensic Files). Too bad, she was the best looking of the bunch, had the best face and legs...

"We'll meet again/don't know where; don't know when..." Vera Lynn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:04 pm 
Gold Member

Glad Robin's show is still on

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:50 pm 
Silver Member

LongJohnScotty wrote:
So, this is what we call...THE POSTSCRIPT.

From what the original article said, all three ladies are gone after today.

Took this rare off-day to see their "curtain calls:"

Missed Carol's. If anybody caught this, did I really miss anything.

Caught the last half hour of MicheLA. Her last story: A man who found his Vietnam Vet father after 50 years.

At 4:48 pm.m, she said an extended goodbye and thank you to everybody. Michele had 5800 guests in two years? How did that happen.

Looking at her last clips, she was the "warn and fuzzy" show when everybody got tired of the "if it bleeds, it leads" stuff.

Nice touch for the HLN crew in ATL to tune in for her good-bye.

...aaand it looks like Ashleigh's last night on the air was Thursday (last night), because there's nothing on tonight but the usual HSN crime BS (How It Happened and a thousand reruns of Forensic Files). Too bad, she was the best looking of the bunch, had the best face and legs...

"We'll meet again/don't know where; don't know when..." Vera Lynn

Dianne Gallegher was in for Carol who I'm guessing left after the announcement of the shows including hers was getting the boot.