Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: ESPN Major layoffs and SC Anchor changes.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:52 pm 
WWoW Artist

It is confirmed, we can breathe a bit easier. Reminiscent of what happened in 2015 (when 300 people lost their jobs), most of the 150 jobs being eliminated on Wednesday were for behind the scenes workers:

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-john-skipper-announces-another-round-150-layoffs-bristol.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Major layoffs coming to ESPN by June
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:06 am 
Bronze Member

Many anchors not out of the woods yet. Looks like they plan to let contracts expire as they are cutting back on Sports Center.
http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-sportscenter-anchors-contracts-layoffs.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:23 am 
WWoW Artist

Some site should have a list on any and all anchors whose contracts might be up come the end of this year. I am sure someone here could provide a list.

I figured they were going to cancel SC on ESPNEWS--how many people actually watch that channel during the week anyway? I only watch if there is a college basketball or CFL football game.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:25 am 
Silver Member

BatmanFan wrote:
Many anchors not out of the woods yet. Looks like they plan to let contracts expire as they are cutting back on Sports Center.
http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-sportscenter-anchors-contracts-layoffs.html

the 7 to 11 editions of SC are done (mostly guys, last lady I know that did those SCs was Dianna and she's reporting now). Unsure when contracts are done exactly. Anyone know? Is it public info?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:58 pm 
Silver Member

Also apparently that ESPN isn't allowing those who were layoff looking at other sports jobs because I saw on Britt's twitter she wasn't allow to appear on a sports radio talk show anymore but ESPN will allow her being the second coming of Tomi.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 am 
Bronze Member

newsguy wrote:
Also apparently that ESPN isn't allowing those who were layoff looking at other sports jobs because I saw on Britt's twitter she wasn't allow to appear on a sports radio talk show anymore but ESPN will allow her being the second coming of Tomi.

are you sure they can not look for other work in till no compete clause is up. when you get hired for company's in news radio or sport new business. you have not compete clause that limits on where you can go or what you can do. since can not compete against them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 am 
Silver Member

chrislognshot wrote:
newsguy wrote:

are you sure they can not look for other work in till no compete clause is up. when you get hired for company's in news radio or sport new business. you have not compete clause that limits on where you can go or what you can do. since can not compete against them.

Has anyone that was laid off gotten sports jobs since? I only two that got jobs so far are outside sports. Surprised they can't even do local TV if some of them choose that route.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:21 am 
I'm a WWoW Posting Maniac!

newsguy wrote:
chrislognshot wrote:
newsguy wrote:

Has anyone that was laid off gotten sports jobs since? I only two that got jobs so far are outside sports. Surprised they can't even do local TV if some of them choose that route.

Ed Werder is working NFL sidelines for Westwood One radio
Marc Stein is covering the NBA for the New York Times
There are others

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:11 pm 
Silver Member

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/women-who’ve-worked-at-espn-say-its-problems-go-far-beyond-barstool-sports/ar-BBGKOOd?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:11 am 
Bronze Member

In case y'all haven't noticed, it appears that Nicole Briscoe is moving to morning shows of SportsCenter starting next week. My guess is she'll team up with Lisa Kerney for 10am-12pm show daily. https://twitter.com/RB_Mrs/status/947195184126791680

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:39 pm 
Administrator

Curious what shift Nicole does since 7am-1pm already has set anchors.
The only other thing would be doing SC updates during the simulcasts of the ESPN Radio shows.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:09 am 
Silver Member

IceMan wrote:
Curious what shift Nicole does since 7am-1pm already has set anchors.
The only other thing would be doing SC updates during the simulcasts of the ESPN Radio shows.

I think she did the updates during the noon hour. Starting to think she'll be on the Noon Sportscenter when Cari goes to Sportsnation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:23 am 
Administrator

Nicole announced on Instagram she has signed a new contract with ESPN and is going to host coverage of the Indy 500.

"rb_mrs A bit of professional news.
I’ve been fortunate to call ESPN home for the last decade. (Damn...when did I get so old?!) For little Nicole, it was a dream just to walk in the door. In reality, it’s been my home, my chosen family, stability, and a pretty decent career.
I’m THRILLED to sign on for at least a couple more years....and I am equally excited to add the Indianapolis 500 as an assignment. Full circle in so many ways."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeE5m99DY4l/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11