Wide World of Women

All your favorite women in one place for 20 years!!!
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Major layoffs coming to ESPN by June
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:43 am 
Administrator

ESPN today announced changes to SportsCenter.

Sage Steele is returning to Bristol to co-anchor "SportsCenter:AM" Monday through Thursday (7-10 a.m. ET).
Elle Duncan and Matt Barrie are joining the show that will now air seven days a week.
Mayne, Buccigross, Anderson and Levy will host the 11 p.m. ET "SportsCenter."

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sport ... 7oocemguz1

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:23 pm 
WWoW Artist

:ditto

Awesome. Stability in the 11 p.m. hour, and more importantly--these are four guys who truly get it and can laugh when the time is right to do so.

Also, with Hannah Storm getting the chance to do some primetime shows and more longer form taped pieces--that should make it another compelling reason for some groups of fans to watch (even though ESPN's future clearly is devoted to getting their sports news on mobile devices and not with those high-priced TV's).

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:27 pm 
Bronze Member

IceMan wrote:

1 or more of those people will be let go when this fails (and it will).
No way do you need 4 hosts for a one-hour show.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:34 pm 
Bronze Member

IceMan wrote:

Sage Steele is returning to Bristol to co-anchor "SportsCenter:AM" Monday through Thursday (7-10 a.m. ET).
Elle Duncan and Matt Barrie are joining the show that will now air seven days a week.

Would it be possible that Lisa Kerney and Kevin Connors would be part of the 11pm SportsCenter team with Mayne, Buccigross, Levy, and Anderson? That would be a dream team of sorts if you needed.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:45 pm 
Bronze Member

That's a good point, when they make these announcements trumpeting their new deals or hires, they never mention the people who got pushed out as a result.
I'd assume those people you mentioned, and a few more, will be banished to weekends or eliminated entirely.

-MelvinMoogleman

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:54 am 
Silver Member

IceMan wrote:

Not watching SC: AM anymore. Also Bomani Jones and Pablo Torre is starting next year. I wonder who going to replace Bomani on Highly Questionable.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:20 pm 
WWoW Artist

Well newsguy and others bummed out by the recent changes in the morning, SC: AM will soon be gone.

After today's media upfront presentation to advertisers in New York, the biggest news of all involves Mike Greenberg. He is going home to New York to anchor a weekday morning show beginning on January 1, 2018 in Manhattan:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/05/espn-announces-mike-greenbergs-new-morning-show-debut-january-1-2018/

The show will air live on ESPN weekdays from 7-10 a.m. ET and will re-air each day at 10 a.m. ET on ESPN2.

I expect Ginger Zee from GMA will be an integral part of this new morning show--giving fans weather updates, especially for the big college and NFL games on fall Fridays, the baseball playoffs each October and of course, the NFL playoffs in January.
More updates on other anchors joining Greeny will be announced at a later date.

After 18 years of Mike & Mike, ESPN Radio will have Trey Wingo join Mike Golic each weekday morning from 6 to 10 a.m. Also, Golic's son will continue in the overnights for two hours following SportsCenter All Night with Jay Reynolds on ESPN Radio. Mike Golic, Jr. will join his dad in the first hour each weekday morning:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/05/espn-radio-debut-new-morning-show-hosted-mike-golic-trey-wingo/

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:46 pm 
Silver Member

bigzman wrote:
Well newsguy and others bummed out by the recent changes in the morning, SC: AM will soon be gone.

After today's media upfront presentation to advertisers in New York, the biggest news of all involves Mike Greenberg. He is going home to New York to anchor a weekday morning show beginning on January 1, 2018 in Manhattan:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/05/espn-announces-mike-greenbergs-new-morning-show-debut-january-1-2018/

The show will air live on ESPN weekdays from 7-10 a.m. ET and will re-air each day at 10 a.m. ET on ESPN2.

I expect Ginger Zee from GMA will be an integral part of this new morning show--giving fans weather updates, especially for the big college and NFL games on fall Fridays, the baseball playoffs each October and of course, the NFL playoffs in January.
More updates on other anchors joining Greeny will be announced at a later date.

After 18 years of Mike & Mike, ESPN Radio will have Trey Wingo join Mike Golic each weekday morning from 6 to 10 a.m. Also, Golic's son will continue in the overnights for two hours following SportsCenter All Night with Jay Reynolds on ESPN Radio. Mike Golic, Jr. will join his dad in the first hour each weekday morning:

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/05/espn-radio-debut-new-morning-show-hosted-mike-golic-trey-wingo/

I'm not bummed about SC:AM going bye-bye (well before Sage, I would have been) I be bummed if that :censor Sage Steele is apart new Greeny show. That :censor should have been fired.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:12 am 
Silver Member

Rumors have it that Mike and Mike aren't speaking with each other.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:47 pm 
WWoW Artist

True, except for the few times they are on the air together.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:49 pm 
WWoW Artist

The latest name to come forth via Twitter on Wednesday is "The Professor"--often imitated, never duplicated...
John Clayton will no longer be on the NFL beat.

Sure hope CBS, NBC, or Fox get in touch with him prior to the new football season. I will definitely miss his insights to the sport and how certain matchups affected key games (injuries, financial salary restructuring, etc.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:16 am 
Silver Member

bigzman wrote:
The latest name to come forth via Twitter on Wednesday is "The Professor"--often imitated, never duplicated...
John Clayton will no longer be on the NFL beat.

Sure hope CBS, NBC, or Fox get in touch with him prior to the new football season. I will definitely miss his insights to the sport and how certain matchups affected key games (injuries, financial salary restructuring, etc.)

NFL Network

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:22 am 
Bronze Member

Is it possible for John Clayton and/or Ed Werder to be part of NFL Network?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:07 pm 
WWoW Artist

That would be great, if it happens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:24 pm 
Bronze Member

hanley wrote:
Cord cutting is likely the #1 reason this is happening.
1A is the huge rights fees they're paying.

What about the rise of the regional sports nets the past 10-12 years?
I can watch my local baseball and hockey team's games year round and get the league highlights there.
Local Football team on Sunday, and the NBC National game on Sunday nights for all the game day wrap-up, and what reason do I, a non cord cutting Sports fan have to watch ESPN, save for when my baseball team plays the Sunday Night game? Especially as I don't follow basketball, which dominates alot of their winter coverage both in games and chat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:54 pm 
Silver Member

yeup Regional networks are hurting them in the San Fran - Oakland area we have 2 so that covers all the local pro teams easily plus the Rise of the college networks has taken some viewers as well if they Hadn't partnered with the SEC they would likely have laid of even more folks

i watch College Football,BasketBall,Baseball and Softball on ESPN and some Sunday night baseball but the A's and Giants are rarely on that

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:59 pm 
Silver Member

I know she left before the layoffs but Kaylee Hartung left for CNN covering real news (she was covering that special election in Georgia).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:25 am 
WWoW Artist

John Clayton continues to have ESPN on his Twitter handle @claytonespn.

His newest gig is not on television, but SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
What a coup for the satellite radio industry:

He hosts a call-in/interview show called "Movin' The Chains" on SiriusxmNFL Radio each Thursday from 3 to 7 pm Eastern.
The toll-free phone number to call about anything NFL related is 877 NFL KICK.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:15 pm 
WWoW Artist

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-st ... um=twitter
More layoffs coming as soon as next month

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:02 am 
WWoW Artist

Whatever news comes out of this third round of layoffs, ugh! This past April and May was bad, but this I think is going to be worse.

Unrelated to this, the Sporting News article also mentioned this about Mike Greenberg's new weekday morning show:

"Despite promising Madison Avenue at its upfront presentation that Mike Greenberg's new solo morning show would debut Jan. 1, ESPN has pushed back the start date to the spring because of construction delays at its expensive new studios at South Street Seaport in Manhattan."

Well, I guess my initial comment of Ginger Zee possibly being there at the start could happen after all. She will be coming off her second maternity leave by the time the baseball season starts, so this might work out in the end. Of course, the ESPN Radio plan is going to have Trey Wingo join Mike Golic, while Mike Golic, Jr. will continue to be on overnights from 4 to 6 a.m., then be on the first hour of the newly named morning show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next